Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In search of constructive criticism >

In search of constructive criticism

In search of constructive criticism

Old 04-27-2018, 03:22 AM

Nice job for your first...Trust me you will improve w/each new quilt. My first was just misc patchwork 5 inch sqs sewn
together. Since I had no clue how to sandwich a quilt I just threw a piece of batting and backing on...did it so I just turned it inside out, sewed the base closed and called it done. Who knew abt SID or quilting...NOT ME...As I went along and found local classes I learned allot and then of course discovered "Craftsy" classes online...Ck out Craftsy.com
I still have that first quilt and one of these days will redo it correctly. We quilters are always learning, there's always something new and exciting to try, so just hang in there and enjoy!
Old 04-27-2018, 03:44 AM

If this is the first block you've ever done--wow! You did great!! Yes, there is room for improvement but try making another block and see if it isn't better. Sometimes, no matter how "perfect" you think you are doing it, there is something that just doesn't come together. Unlike some others here, I am not a fan of Jennie Doan. There are some of her designs that just don't come together. To me, it seems in her striving to make quilting quick and easy, she sometimes misses the finer issues of piecing. Plus, have you ever seen her rip anything out? The tutorials are designed to make it look easy! Another post recommends Eleanor Burns and I enjoy her tutorials. She is entertaining but also has an expectation of her work turning out well. If you have a local quilt guild, you may pick up some useful tips by attending a meeting or simply finding another experienced quilter who is willing to help you when you have issues such as those lost points. And believe me, those lost points will stay with you no matter how long you have been quilting! Keep at it. This is one hobby that can be very rewarding as well as frustrating.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:47 AM

I highly recommend the DVD: "Sally Collins Teaches You Precision Piecing"

You can buy it on her website: http://www.sallycollins.org/orderform.html

...but my local library has a copy that I can check out whenever I want. You might see if your library has a copy.

If you are a member of The Quilt Show, you can see it on their website: https://thequiltshow.com/watch/curre...cision-piecing

Last edited by JENNR8R; 04-27-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:56 AM

Welcome and you have done a very good first job. You will discover we are our own worst critics! The absolute only way to be better is to make more. Often times our beginner errors result from inaccurate cutting and our 1/4" seams being slightly off. This will improve - I promise. Also, keep in mind that you really don't make mistakes, you are adding 'design elements'. And more often than not you will be the only one who even notices them. Keep quilting and remember to have fun doing it.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Power Poster

The spray starch I currently use is Faultless Premium that I get from Walmart. I have noticed that this starch does not seem to scorch, no matter how much heat I use. Any brand of spray starch would work fine, though.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:09 AM

After 12 years of me playing at quilting, PamelaOry, you are so much better than I. It takes practice. I've gotten better, but still not as good as you!
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM

Love your colors etc. Now for comments. Quick history. I used to be a drafter and if my quilt was supposed to have points and didn’t I was not a happy camper. So my solution for about 10 years was appliqué. That is until I found glue and Sharon Schamber. My last quilt has points yea! Sharon’s secrets. Starch and glue. No pins. I would suggest looking up her videos on YouTube. Purchase her glue tips and have fun. Of course cut and stitch accurately but without pins to distort the stitching process you will be amazed at the results.

best of luck
Old 04-27-2018, 12:30 PM

This is a tutorial that probably helped with matching seams more than anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--vIltDWpl0&app=desktop

bkay
Old 04-27-2018, 12:41 PM

practice, practice, practice---and work hard on accurate cutting and 1/4 inch seams
everything improves as you go along--and 20 years from now you will still want to improve on something
Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

There are tips in this thread that are useful to "seasoned/experienced" quilters, too!