Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Second Machine >

Second Machine

Second Machine

Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM
Power Poster

I have a bernina QE with a lot of bells and whistles. I bought a featherweight to carry to classes and for plain old strait stitching it can't be beat. THEN DH bought me a crank machine for when we go camping at events without electricity or when power goes out. It is always good to have a spare!! (or2)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:51 AM

My dds like to come here and sew with me we make a day of it. Having the extra machine on hand make that possible. My embroidery machine sews by itself so I can be piecing on another machine at the same time. Sometimes I have 2projects going at once and it is nice to have 2 different machines set up. Lastly, the more toys to play with the more fun
Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I'm in sewing machine recovery (LOL) - as I had 7 sewing machines before we moved to an apt. I had only purchased 2 or 3, the rest were given to me. I moved with 2 machines, my Janome 4000 and an older Brother, which was my backup with the Janome was in for service. I also acquired a Kenmore my friend had picked up at the local incinerator-dump where people drop off things too good to trash and people can take what they want. I just discovered that there is something wrong with it and will need to take it in for service, as neither one of us checked it to see how it worked. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20. Last week she told me that she had picked up a Janome at the same place, but we need to get together so she can give it to me. I'm sure my DH will have a fit, but I don't care. If the Janome works well, I may just try to sell or give away the Kenmore, although it has about all the same bells and whistles as my Janome. Hey, quilting is my only obsession/vice - my husband has 3 computer systems. All's fair - right?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:57 AM

I have the small Janome that I take to class with me - other wise, it just sits in the rolling case in the garage.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:29 PM

I like to have a backup machine when mine is in the shop or not working for some reason. I also like to keep a walking foot on one so I don't have to switch feet . I do use bo
th my machines all the time. I switch back and forth
Old 04-26-2013, 04:10 PM

l have three machines, a Janome Jem for taking to classes, a Janome Horizon which I bought when my machine I use to make wheat bags gave up the ghost and my good machine (also a Janome) which has now become the wheat bag machine. I don't only use it for wheat bags, if I have a lot of sewing to do I set one machine up with dark thread and the other with light thread or one will have the walking foot on it and the other the free motion quilting foot, saves a lot of time.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 PM

My goal is to be able to leave each grandchild with their own sewing machine; whether they like learning to sew up rips and tears or not....just joking but it sounds good when anyone asks why I have so many machines.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 PM

I'm not a good one to ask because I have 26 machines. I have them set up to do different things. Some have 1/4" feet on them, some for FMQing, different color threads, etc. I love them all, and yes, I am a hoarder!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 PM

Sometimes we have two people who want to sew, nice to have two machines. (My quilters use my house to gather)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
Fast forward 7 years my count stands at 14 machines, including a Bernina serger, 2 Featherweights, and a Singer treadle. Other than the 440 and the serger, everything else is vintage. I found that I enjoy restoring the vintage machines and have re-homed some but will keep several permanently. I can have a sewing party and supply all the machines!

Hahahahaha! Me too! Lots of vintage here! Workhorses that are seldom used I think I need to sell some....when I make time!

Nan - IN