Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seeking advice... what could we have done differently? >

Seeking advice... what could we have done differently?

Seeking advice... what could we have done differently?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 PM

I would have waited for a reply from the customer before shipping anything.

Diane
Old 10-14-2010, 10:01 PM

I always calculate everything before I order, so that there are no nasty surprises at the end. Surely the tax on the two items would not come to more than the expense of the extra postage that would have been incurred? If so, there is very little point in importing.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I would not have shipped until I had confirmation as people can use "didnt receive correspondence" as an excuse to be unhappy.
I agree.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:19 AM

I agree...smart idea about giving her a coupon for future purchase.
Originally Posted by MrsM
I think you did everything you could on yourside. (Was she given options when she placed her order? Usually websites have you pick how you want it shipped.) Regardless you did try to contact her twice about it. Stop beating yourself up.
I would send her a coupon for a certain % off her next purchase and leave it at that. If she orders again, do not ship it until you know how she wants it sent.
I just visited your online site and found your winter fabrics spectacular!
Old 10-15-2010, 06:35 AM

If I ordered 12 yards, I would want it all in one piece.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
It was ten days from when she placed her order to when we shipped it. We don't like to "hold" fabrics more than a week, figuring that a week generally is plenty of time in which to reply. (How long is long enough to wait? Another good question.)

Though... we do hold partial orders longer for international customers if we're waiting for a backordered item to come in... *and* if we've been in contact with the customer so they know what to expect.

I, too, would generally prefer to receive the fabric all in one length. And I would have thought that's also what most of our customers would want. But in the vast majority of cases where we've asked what the (international) customer prefers, they say that they'd rather have the less expensive flat-rate envelopes, and they tell us what lengths to cut the fabric according to how they plan to use it.

I would also have thought that our international customers would *always* want to fill up the envelope to capacity, but have found that customers in certain countries always keep it below a certain value, to avoid/lessen the fees.
WOW!!! I just went to your business site and....OMG!!! WOW!!!
It is amazzzzzzzzzzzzzing. It clearly states whatever needs to be stated and even gives a space for additional info from the buyer. Well, I HAD to place an order............you twisted my arm...hhmmmmm.....right? I HAD TO DO IT!!! I am overwhelmed in the most pleasant way with your selections for me to pick from. (I'm so delightfully exhausted!)
I did put a limit on for me and I will wait until next month or so to find more fabric ,of course. I find I like buying the fabrics more than I even like to quilt! I have to get people to sew for me! I just started making pillow cases and will be teaching my quilting class how to do that as well. Here's a secret.....making a pillow case uses up a nice bit of fabric so I CAN BUY MORE!!!
You are a VERY responsible, caring owner and it is a pleasure to deal with you. (NOW< please remove yourself from the computer and cut my fabric and send it to me so I can make pillow cases, use up lots of fabric and buy more!!!ONLY KIDDING about telling you to get off the computer! What do you think I am doing for half the morning already?) LOL
Old 10-15-2010, 07:41 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Phyl,

Thank you so much for your kind words! And your order!

I'll tell the staff to get RIGHT TO WORK on it. We're moving you to the head of the pack.

I can't get away from the computer, though, right now I'm placing an online order with Benartex. We need more fabric!!

And we have IrishNY in the shop right now, she decided to swing by and see what our fabrics look like in person. (Hi, Irish!)
Old 10-15-2010, 08:18 AM

You obviously care very much about your customers to even go through the trouble of emailing her to try and save her money.

BUT, I would be very upset if I had ordered 12 yards and it came in pieces, even if it was just 2. Imagine if it were someone posting on this board that they walked in Joanns and asked for 3 yards and were given two 1 and 1/2 yard pieces. We would all be saying, "no way".

Personally, I would have LOVED that you emailed me trying to save me money on shipping! That kind of personal service is very hard to find these days. But, if I hadn't responded, for whatever reason, I would rather you go ahead and sent it exactly like I ordered instead of making that decision for me, even though it really was a "better" decision.

Don't beat yourself up over though, you are obviously a very caring business owner and I would love to do business with you!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I feel the order should have been sent as a whole 12 yd pc. reasons:
1. you as a business can't ALWAYS choose options based solely on "what is cheaper". For yourself OR the customer.
2. Not everyone, myself included, checks email daily. I travel alot and don't worry about email until I return home and even then I consider it a "catch-up" task.
3. If I order something online I figure in the cost of delivery and my purchase according to my own budget.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:55 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

And I have to add; OMG! finnally a sit that has great fabrics! EVEN the purples I have been seeking.