Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Separation anxiety >

Separation anxiety

Separation anxiety

Old 06-06-2010, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Shirley H
Does anyone experience "separation anxiety" when having to finally give your finished quilt to the promised one?
I hadn't thought about it. But now that you mention it, maybe that's why I put off finishing them. Kind of like when your kids are ready to leave the nest and you want to keep them around a little longer. :)
Old 06-06-2010, 07:40 AM

No separation anxiety but I do keep a scrapbook with all the quilts that I make. I also have pictures of the receiver of the quilt enjoying it.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:58 AM

Not so much separation anxiety over a quilt; in my case it's using a fabric I've been holding on to. I tell myself that's what a stash is for, and there will always be something to replace it, but there are times when I really have to force myself to use a fabric I love.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 AM

I did at first but I know I can make another one so I have no problem giving them away.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:36 AM

Strangely , I never have seperation anxiety! Once I am done with a quilt I am really done ... I am just anxious to get started on the next. I guess for me it is the process that brings me the most joy.
I have made lots and lots of quilts ( over 30 years ) , but do not have any in my home. I also never sign or date them , I tell everone who gets one , That I expect it will be "consumed" ( ie used) in my lifetime. It would bother me to think all that work it just sitting on a shelf in someone closet , for the next generation who never knew me to finally use it or give it away or worse ( toss it in the dog bed).
I know many will find my attitute on signing differs from the main stream.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shirley H
Does anyone experience "separation anxiety" when having to finally give your finished quilt to the promised one?
Yes - some are harder to see go than others. I make things I like, even when they start out for others. I do try to keep a photo, and often ask the ones I've given it to, to send me a photo of it in their house.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by starstruck
I actually have separation anxiety when I pick a fabric from my stash and commit it to a quilt!!
Oh, there are a few I've felt this way with! And it's sad to see the last of a good fabric go. :cry:

Quiltmom: I like the idea of having the recipient send a photo of the quilt as they use it!
Old 06-06-2010, 01:12 PM

I make a quilt every year to raffle off at our annual Sailor's Association reunion.. I really like the quilts I've made and did hate to give them up.. so I fixed that.. I just make two quilts alike.. one for them.. one for me... someday I'll give them all up and I won't care a bit!

This may sound crazy, but if you cut and sew two at the same time it doesn't seem to take much longer.. I know it does, but the time goes bye and I end up with a new quilt for my growing collection. Suites me.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 PM

I have no problem with quilts that I make for family members, but I recently made a quilt for an auction and I wonder about it quite often! I worked on it right up to the week of the auction, so I really felt the separation anxiety when the new owner walked out with it!

Sue
Old 06-06-2010, 03:25 PM

I've given over 30 quilts away to co workers...always a surprise gift and I get tear eye every time. Not because I'm giving the quilt away but because they are so happy!

Then I come home and start another one!