Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Separation anxiety >

Separation anxiety

Separation anxiety

Old 06-06-2010, 03:50 PM

I love the giving away part........I choosy about who I give them to and know they'll be appreciated. However, I ALWAYS take a picture of them.....I keep an "accomplishment album". It's a great pick-me-up for those days when you want to quilt but HAVE to clean - you can do a quick look and see how much you've done......it's incentive to get your work done and get back to the fun stuff!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dagny
Not at all. I love giving them away. But, I do have separation anxiety when my machine is in the shop, as it is now.

Last weekend, I broke the wire to the foot pedal on my Bernina. Fortunately, I could take the Juki off the quilting frame and not miss a beat. Even so, it's like when one of your children is off on an adventure and you just can't relax until he or she is back.
So far, the only one I have given away I gave to DH so it didn't go far. I will be sending back a QGK's quilt, but I am happy to let that one go.

Oh Dagny, I know what you mean! My DH has been working all day to convert my old machine cabinet to one that I can use my machine flush, or up for free arm and embroidery work (sweet darling man!). Sadie, my Bernina, hasn't even left the house but I am suffering separation anxiety because she and I can't play. Funny enough, I have a Juki on a frame too, so I did spend some time practicing with Blossom, but I really want to play with Sadie! :-( ;)
Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 PM

It depends on who I give it to. I have made queen or king size quilts for my 4 children and some grand children. Even though all of them asked me to make one for them, I'm not sure if one is even being used or displayed. It took me a while before I actually gave it to them.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:02 PM

No I have not had problems letting a quilt go. I do have problems cutting some fabrics or using some fabrics that I know I won't see again.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM

I just love the pastel colors (Kashmir by Moda) of the second quilt I made. I donated it to a Rotary charity silent auction but there weren't high enough bids and DH bought it and gave it back to me. I made it for that purpose but now I haven't found anyone who will love it like I do. I guess I will keep it until I find someone who does.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:34 PM

It never bothers me at all when I plan from the start that I am making it for someone, it is when I am making it for me and wind up giving it away that I feel the separation anxiety.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:15 PM

LOL, i made a wallhanging when i first started quilting for a chinese auction at a retirement home, i spent a small fortune winning it back. I have gotten good at giving and saying good bye to stuff since then LOL
Old 06-06-2010, 07:14 PM

I have kept my first, second, and 24th quilt. The rest I gave away mostly to my 4 children and 15 grandchildren. My two happiest moments are when I finally settle on a design and layout and then when I see the surprised face of the recipient!! I had a photo book made at Walmart for $10, with 40 quilts, and a little history under each photo!! Best investment I could have made!!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:31 PM

I get twinges when I'd give them away. Some of them turned out so great I couldn't believe 'I' actually made them! So wish I could have kept them. lol!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Google Goddess

good idea to have a history photo album

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I have kept my first, second, and 24th quilt. The rest I gave away mostly to my 4 children and 15 grandchildren. My two happiest moments are when I finally settle on a design and layout and then when I see the surprised face of the recipient!! I had a photo book made at Walmart for $10, with 40 quilts, and a little history under each photo!! Best investment I could have made!!