Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Separation anxiety >

Separation anxiety

Separation anxiety

Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Most of my quilts go for in-need kids or Quilts of Valor, so I
have no trouble giving those away at all.
Only one quilt was hard to give away, then I found out that nobody ever sees the front of it. The back is a Mardi Gras print, the front is a basket quilt. It was a wedding quilt. Here's the picture.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719fgaxFs
Sharon W.
You have my complete sympathy! I spent a lot of time making my sister a wedding quilt only to discover they only use the back. In fact, she's having me send her the extra fabric so she can make pillows and curtains to match the back. :roll:
Old 06-07-2010, 02:55 PM

nope, love to see them go to someone who can use a hug... just sent out today the downy quilts i finished over my vacation...

took them to work, and had a couple people say "do you really need to send them, cause i want them" so now i have more people to quilt for!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:08 PM

While I said I just make a second quilt for me.. I have given quilts to both my DS and his wife.. and my DD and her husband.. I've give numberous ones to charity and several to each grandchild. I've given ones to friends and extended family.. I didn't make a second one for myself of those.. I gave them gladly and seldom feel any separation anxiety over them.. only joy at seeing how happy they make the one I give it to. Now if I went over and found that one was being used for a dog bed, I might feel differently!! So far that has never happened to me.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Thanks Tiffany, at last someone who understands!
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 06-09-2010, 05:45 PM

Yes, sometimes and I just run back into my sewing room asn start another project!!!
Old 06-09-2010, 07:18 PM

I always take a photo and give them a "test snuggle". Quality control, you know. ;)

And most of mine go to family, so later I can "visit" them.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
I always take a photo and give them a "test snuggle". Quality control, you know. ;)

And most of mine go to family, so later I can "visit" them.
When I first got into quilting I had several very old ladies (who are now in quilt heaven) explain to me that I had to sleep under each of my finished quilts before giving them away. It was a way to bless the quilt and was considered by luck to give it away before sleeping under it and was a tradition that had gone on as long as they could remember. For the first few years, anytime I finished a bed quilt, I would sleep under it. Funny but it really did help with the anxiety issue, and made me feel good knowing the people I gifted the quilts too would be kept plenty warm. Of course, if it was hand quilted then I often fell asleep under it while working on it, usually in my chair while the tv is going. :roll: :lol:
Old 06-10-2010, 05:22 AM

tiffany, That is very sweet and i believe they were right!! But did you ever hear that the first person to sleeep under a new quilt will dream of the one they will marry? I am already married and my dH is a definite keeper so is this risky or what? tee heee hee
Old 06-10-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by betlinsmom
tiffany, That is very sweet and i believe they were right!! But did you ever hear that the first person to sleeep under a new quilt will dream of the one they will marry? I am already married and my dH is a definite keeper so is this risky or what? tee heee hee
Rofl! :lol: I wonder what my husband would think of this. I better not let him sleep under any of my quilts first! :shock: :lol:
Old 06-10-2010, 05:29 AM

tiffany, do you know any other quilt superstitions? I love old sayings and legends and such!