Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Separation anxiety >

Separation anxiety

Separation anxiety

Old 06-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

Well, now that depends. If it is for Jim and I know it is staying in our house, then it's not so bad. The one for Jim's brother, Chris, will be going all the way back to Massachusetts. Not only will there be separation anxiety, but worry about the post office getting it there after all my hard work.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Well, now that depends. If it is for Jim and I know it is staying in our house, then it's not so bad. The one for Jim's brother, Chris, will be going all the way back to Massachusetts. Not only will there be separation anxiety, but worry about the post office getting it there after all my hard work.
I would never send a quilt by mail that was not sent Priority Mail with tracking!!! At least you would stand a chance of it being located if it didn't show up when you expected. I do this when mailing to a long armer and she does the same coming back!!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shirley H
Does anyone experience "separation anxiety" when having to finally give your finished quilt to the promised one?
I don't know since I haven't been able to part with anything yet. It's getting hard to continue making things as they pile up.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 PM

no because usually i am glad it is done and ready to start on the next venture!!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I have kept my first, second, and 24th quilt. The rest I gave away mostly to my 4 children and 15 grandchildren. My two happiest moments are when I finally settle on a design and layout and then when I see the surprised face of the recipient!! I had a photo book made at Walmart for $10, with 40 quilts, and a little history under each photo!! Best investment I could have made!!
This is a great idea. I'm fairly new, so it's a good time to start the album. Haven't given away any yet, but I already worry about doing that. I think I will want to keep them all, but then I think, they aren't doing anybody any good stuck in a closet. We'll see when I get to the point of giving one away.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mimistutz
Originally Posted by quilting.addict
I have kept my first, second, and 24th quilt. The rest I gave away mostly to my 4 children and 15 grandchildren. My two happiest moments are when I finally settle on a design and layout and then when I see the surprised face of the recipient!! I had a photo book made at Walmart for $10, with 40 quilts, and a little history under each photo!! Best investment I could have made!!
This is a great idea. I'm fairly new, so it's a good time to start the album. Haven't given away any yet, but I already worry about doing that. I think I will want to keep them all, but then I think, they aren't doing anybody any good stuck in a closet. We'll see when I get to the point of giving one away.
This is so true that they aren't doing anybody any good sitting in a closet. I also have a wonderful album that I go through a lot. I think I'm getting ready to let go a little now though but I don't really have anybody to give things to who would appreciate them. LOL I sound like an over protective mother.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 AM

One thing I plan to do with my "leftovers" is make lap quilts. They are about the size of a wall hanging, then I want to give them to the VA hospital. They will appreciate them, maybe not understand the work, but understand someone thought of them and cared enough to make them. My mother used to crochet lap blankets from her leftover yarn.
Ronald McDonald may be a possibility if you have childrens prints. I'd check with them first. Both are near by for me.
:lol:
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 AM

Most of my quilts go for in-need kids or Quilts of Valor, so I
have no trouble giving those away at all.
Only one quilt was hard to give away, then I found out that nobody ever sees the front of it. The back is a Mardi Gras print, the front is a basket quilt. It was a wedding quilt. Here's the picture.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719fgaxFs
Sharon W.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 AM

Absolutely! By the time I give the quilts away, they're old friends--or sometimes mortal enemies. Those are a little easier to get rid of!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:26 AM

At first I wanted to keep everything that I made. Mostly because I didn't think anyone would appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that went in to it. Plus I was afraid the quality wasn't good enough. But now, I love giving things away. Mostly totes and pot holders. I just gave my niece a quilt for her graduation present and had zero separation anxiety. Another milestone reached due to this board.