Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: sergers

My husband gave me a serger for Christmas a couple of years ago and I was so excited. For my birthday a short time after Christmas, my daughters bought me a gift card for classes at a local quilting store. There were four of us in class and the other three had some experience with their sergers and I was green as a gourd! The teacher was ill the first class and the two ladies helping teach the threading were so nice and helpful so I did learn to thread it. The teacher was back for the remainder of the classes and moved so quickly from one project to another that I felt so frustrated. Guess she was afraid of boring those who had some experience!

My daughter gave me a serger several weeks ago, it was brought home in the trunk of another daughters car...and there it has taken up residence....I have no idea what it looks like or how (or what) to use it for. I am hoping to find instructions on-line and put that baby to work.

I absolutely love my "antique" Baby Lok, although I don't use it as often as I used to, since I don't make a lot of clothing now, but there's no way I'm getting rid of it.

Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California
    I love my serger and use it on a wide variety of projects. It does take some effort before it becomes an easy tool to use. If you are willing to spend the time, maybe take some lessons from a local sewing shop I would get one in a heart beat. You can teach yourself using on line tutorials or videos, it's just so much easier for me when I have my hands on it and a teacher working directly with me.

That said....when I bought mine, a used Juki Pearline, I called the place where I bought my sewing machine and talked to their repair person and a sales person. They gave me lots of great advice about questions to ask and things to look for when I test drove it. I was really fortunate and got a real gem of a machine and for a really great price. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch Lover
    My husband gave me a serger for Christmas a couple of years ago and I was so excited. For my birthday a short time after Christmas, my daughters bought me a gift card for classes at a local quilting store. There were four of us in class and the other three had some experience with their sergers and I was green as a gourd! The teacher was ill the first class and the two ladies helping teach the threading were so nice and helpful so I did learn to thread it. The teacher was back for the remainder of the classes and moved so quickly from one project to another that I felt so frustrated. Guess she was afraid of boring those who had some experience!
    I would tell the store manager and ask for an opportunity to take the classes again, at no charge. Even if they won't let you repeat w/o charge at least they may talk to the instructor and it won't happen to someone else in the future. Don't give up because you will find so many things, not just clothing, to use it on... :)

Quote Originally Posted by SuziC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi19
    I sew every day. Lately, I've been making bags, totes, and pillows for friends, as well as quilting.
    Do I need lessons, or would I be able to teach myself using the internet and practicing on the machine?
    I've taught myself to quilt using the internet and advice from friends, but no lessons.
    I use my serger all the time and never had a lesson. There are great books to have as a reference. It was intimidating at first but now it's one of my best friends :lol:
    The best and most user friendly universal serge instruction book I've found is Sewing with Sergers - The Complete Handbook for Overlock Sewing by Gail Brown and Pati Palmer.

They do still make the VHS recorders. I have a Panasonic VHS/DVD Player/Recorder. Bought it at Sears about a year ago. I just recently bought a Husqvarna Viking Huskylock 936 and it has a VHS tape with it, and I copied it to a DVD so I could play it in my sewing room on my computer when needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2