Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sergers >

sergers

sergers

Old 09-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i bought one gosh probably close to 10 years ago...when it arrived my son's girlfriend popped in the video, threaded it and sewed a little bit with it, i remember she had a problem with the threading part, her eyes are not so good and it was a problem, but she liked using it and made a purse...fast forward 7 years, it was put away for a few years with no one having any interest, then my daughter wanted to try using it making leotards for the girls for gymnastics...so i sent it home with her, where it lived in the back of her van for another year...then she gave it back to me... i thought...i bought the dumb thing...i should learn to use it...so i set it up on the table...and found...ooops it needs to be threaded... and the instuction manual is in the form of a vhs tape...and our vhs player died about a year ago and we have not found another one...everything is on dvd these days...so back in the case it went, and has lived since under the bench in the entrance way...
they may be great for sewing certain things but i have not been able to try this out...some day's i think i should just sell it...some days i think i should really try to find a new vhs player...do they even make them? probably not...and do i want to spend more money...not really...so there it sits useless, and it has probably under 5 hours of use in its history...
Yes, they still sell VHS machines. In fact, my DVD player has a VHS side and I can copy (if I knew how! :lol: ) a tape to disc with it. It wasn't very expensive, either. We just still have small kids and a huge collection of DVD's I refuse to rebuy as DVD's so I needed a VHS player.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Sandi19
I'm considering buying a serger. I've never used one before. I make bags and simple household sewing projects, and also quilt. Would this be a machine that would be useful? I have an opportunity to buy one at a discount before my husband retires from his job(we get an employee discount).
What do you think...useful, or not needed. Also, what would you recommend and why?
Thanks for your input.
Bought my White serger in the mid '80's. Not sure if the White serger is still available. It serges beautifully, so why buy a new one. Just be sure the threading is easy. There were models out there, that took a degree to learn how to use them.

I use it for hemming skirts & slacks, edges of fabric before washing. Many projects too numerous to mention. If you have an opportunity to buy one at a discount....Go for it....You'll never regret you decision. :thumbup:
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM

I have 2. The first one Igot in the early 80s . It was made by simplicity, just basic. It is a workhorse still going strong. The other is a singer that I got from a friend whose sister died and she inherited. She does not sew. It is an older model but has variable speed. I use them a lot. The trick to threading one that is not self threading is to after first time when changing thread is to tie new thread on to old thread. Also tie a piece of dental floss to thread and use as leader when threading from scratch. Makes threading much easier.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 PM

I also have a White serger; bought it at Hancocks. It's just a cheap one, but it does what I want it too. I had a whole lot of trouble learning to thread it and I watched the tape time after time and finally got it figured out. I think I spent a whole day one time trying to figure out how to thread the darn thing. It was a really good tape to watch and made it look easy. They make much more advanced sergers than mine is. I do enjoy having it though.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:21 AM

The sergers are great I think, but they are not for everyone! I have two and yes they can be a bit difficult to thread, but you learn! I really use mine.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 AM

My husband gave me a serger for Christmas a couple of years ago and I was so excited. For my birthday a short time after Christmas, my daughters bought me a gift card for classes at a local quilting store. There were four of us in class and the other three had some experience with their sergers and I was green as a gourd! The teacher was ill the first class and the two ladies helping teach the threading were so nice and helpful so I did learn to thread it. The teacher was back for the remainder of the classes and moved so quickly from one project to another that I felt so frustrated. Guess she was afraid of boring those who had some experience!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:08 AM

My daughter gave me a serger several weeks ago, it was brought home in the trunk of another daughters car...and there it has taken up residence....I have no idea what it looks like or how (or what) to use it for. I am hoping to find instructions on-line and put that baby to work.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:26 AM

I absolutely love my "antique" Baby Lok, although I don't use it as often as I used to, since I don't make a lot of clothing now, but there's no way I'm getting rid of it.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I love my serger and use it on a wide variety of projects. It does take some effort before it becomes an easy tool to use. If you are willing to spend the time, maybe take some lessons from a local sewing shop I would get one in a heart beat. You can teach yourself using on line tutorials or videos, it's just so much easier for me when I have my hands on it and a teacher working directly with me.

That said....when I bought mine, a used Juki Pearline, I called the place where I bought my sewing machine and talked to their repair person and a sales person. They gave me lots of great advice about questions to ask and things to look for when I test drove it. I was really fortunate and got a real gem of a machine and for a really great price. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:34 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

Originally Posted by Stitch Lover
My husband gave me a serger for Christmas a couple of years ago and I was so excited. For my birthday a short time after Christmas, my daughters bought me a gift card for classes at a local quilting store. There were four of us in class and the other three had some experience with their sergers and I was green as a gourd! The teacher was ill the first class and the two ladies helping teach the threading were so nice and helpful so I did learn to thread it. The teacher was back for the remainder of the classes and moved so quickly from one project to another that I felt so frustrated. Guess she was afraid of boring those who had some experience!
I would tell the store manager and ask for an opportunity to take the classes again, at no charge. Even if they won't let you repeat w/o charge at least they may talk to the instructor and it won't happen to someone else in the future. Don't give up because you will find so many things, not just clothing, to use it on... :)