Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sergers........Tell me about them >

Sergers........Tell me about them

Sergers........Tell me about them

Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM

I love my serger for home dec and garments. I've had one for 20+ years. It is definitely a specialized piece of equipment, and it isn't good for everything. I use it all the time for rolled edges on napkins, receiving blankets, and the edges of ruffles. I use the regular 4 thread overlock for almost all knit fabrics I saw and pretty much all the children's play clothes I do. There is nothing better than a serger for knits! I also use the special elastic application foot to apply elastic to crib sheets I do for a charity.

However I don't think I would use it for quilting though. A serger uses 3-4 threads and it makes a thick seam. It is also harder than might be obvious to get a perfect seam allowance! I also haven't ever seen one that uses a start button, just the foot pedal. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I think it would be hard to control the fabric and use a button at the same time.

Summary: I love my serger, but it is a special purpose machine.

Pam
Old 03-17-2012, 12:28 AM

Default Best time to buy a serger

Dear Clsurz, I saw your post about buying the Babylock Evolution. I just attended a 3 day Serger Workshop held at a local Babylock dealer here in CA. We used the Evolution.....a dream machine. I own an older Evolve. I love my Evolve, and the Evolution is a newer and improved version. The evolution has the Wave stitch (nice for decorative edges), improved safety features, improved lighting, and you can thread both loopers at the same time. It also has an improved jet air threading....a motorized whoosh! Generally speaking the dealer will have very good package prices at these events. Our dealer offered the Evolution 8 thread macine, the workbook, the inspiration guide, 16 foot pkg, a huge decorative thread assortment in a nice case (retail value $450.), additional Gold Standard warranty of 3more years, and $1000.00 Trade-in allowance .....all for $3092.00. If you just wanted the machine, extra warranty, and 6 feet, the price was $1999.00 I would recommend the books though, as they really contain great instructions. My advice to you is to watch for a sewing/serging class or multi-day event sponsored by a Babylock dealer in your area. These events are held for the express purpose of educating the public about their products in the hopes of getting new customers. The number one reason people don't use their sergers is the difficulty they have threading them and getting the tensions right......Babylock has solved these problems....easy peasy threading and auto tension. They are worth every penny!!! Good luck!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 AM

I agree the idea of the airflow system would be wonderful....but the PRICE !!!
I have a Frister Rossman that I bought about 5 years ago. The base opens up completly showing all areas so threading is reasonably easy. In honesty I wonder how often people change their threads....If I need to change the threads I take off all tension and cut the threads and tie small knots from the new colour thread and feed through the feeders then I just have to thread the needles. I reckon that takes me the whole of two minutes.
I also do dressmaking and some upholstry so use it regularily....I even put in zips and piping.
Mine cost £250 which is about $360..........
If I was paying $3000+ it would have to make me breakfast in bed for at least a year as well !
My honest advice is to anyone looking at getting a serger is see if anyone will let you have a go first....the speed on these things can be pretty intimidating and not for everyone.... which brings me to the footpedal. I'm not so sure that a start stop button would make me feel totally happy as I would have to take my hand off the fabric to press the button to stop.....as it has a cutting blade it would be really easy to go through just that bit more fabric than you wanted.......anyway these are just personal thoughts but I hope they might help.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:52 AM

There is an attachment for the Bernina sewing machine that allows your domestic machine to work like a serger. It's less than $200 and is great. It's called the Bernina Sidecutter Serger Attachment. Ask if you can try it at a Bernina dealer. I'm happy with mine.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM View Post
Dear Clsurz, I saw your post about buying the Babylock Evolution. I just attended a 3 day Serger Workshop held at a local Babylock dealer here in CA. We used the Evolution.....a dream machine. I own an older Evolve. I love my Evolve, and the Evolution is a newer and improved version. The evolution has the Wave stitch (nice for decorative edges), improved safety features, improved lighting, and you can thread both loopers at the same time. It also has an improved jet air threading....a motorized whoosh! Generally speaking the dealer will have very good package prices at these events. Our dealer offered the Evolution 8 thread macine, the workbook, the inspiration guide, 16 foot pkg, a huge decorative thread assortment in a nice case (retail value $450.), additional Gold Standard warranty of 3more years, and $1000.00 Trade-in allowance .....all for $3092.00. If you just wanted the machine, extra warranty, and 6 feet, the price was $1999.00 I would recommend the books though, as they really contain great instructions. My advice to you is to watch for a sewing/serging class or multi-day event sponsored by a Babylock dealer in your area. These events are held for the express purpose of educating the public about their products in the hopes of getting new customers. The number one reason people don't use their sergers is the difficulty they have threading them and getting the tensions right......Babylock has solved these problems....easy peasy threading and auto tension. They are worth every penny!!! Good luck!
I agree! Reason I did not buy it yesterday. Moore's Sew in CA has a youtube video. Guy was doing a demo to a bunch of folks and he presented a bundle for machine, books, and 16 feet. Although he did not name the price on that piece one knew that worst case sceniro would probably be around $3900 for all of the bundle or perhaps even less.

I've put out feelers in JAX, FL and other parts of GA and will check SC, NC and AL as well and states along the eastern board. It would be more than worth it to travel to any of these to save $1000 or more and since I enjoy traveling it would be like going on a hunt for me. LOL
Old 03-17-2012, 04:27 AM

I have a Baby Lock Evolve and it threads with a swoosh as you describe. However, each of the loopers have to be threaded individually. It is the later models that do it all in one go. So far as I have seen, they are operated with a foot pedal.I do half of my sewing on the overlocker and I think it is a wonderful tool.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

I used an industrial one when I worked at a shirt factory and loved it. Haven't ventured past that.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
However I don't think I would use it for quilting though. A serger uses 3-4 threads and it makes a thick seam. It is also harder than might be obvious to get a perfect seam allowance! I also haven't ever seen one that uses a start button, just the foot pedal. That doesn't mean there aren't any, but I think it would be hard to control the fabric and use a button at the same time.
Pam
This Baby Lock Evolution will allow you to use only one thread. It is an 8-thread machine with 4 for serging and 4 for overlock. The lady demoed using one thread and up to the eight threads (serging and overlock all at once). She said the only thing it won't do are buttons. It will sew, quilt, and has even done zippers using the serger (although it does not do all types of zippers). I saw first hand the beautiful quilted tops they had on display using the serger.

Perhaps all other sergers might not do quilting well but this baby certainly can. I've never been one to like sergers that is until I saw this one demonstrated first hand.

Regarding start/stop button no sergers as of yet have those but she alluded that is something in the works for babylock in the future. The lady retired from baby-lock less than six months ago and now works part-time at this shop demonstrating all there baby lock machines and others they sell.

I've seen pictures online with folks using there sergers and even locally here and again saw it yesterday at that shop and the work is awesome on it.

I guess on gets what they pay for. This machine feeds various thicknesses of fabric with ease.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I have a Baby Lock Evolve and it threads with a swoosh as you describe. However, each of the loopers have to be threaded individually. It is the later models that do it all in one go. So far as I have seen, they are operated with a foot pedal.I do half of my sewing on the overlocker and I think it is a wonderful tool.
Yes you are correct. I mentioned it to the lady and she chuckled and told me my TV was playing tricks on me and showed me how it was done individally. There are no brands yet that do the swoosh as I originally indicated. LOL
Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
I absolutely love my serger. But, I was sewing clothes long before I quilted.
I have a Viking 3/4 thread serger, not really fancy...I thread it myself. It's easy once you've done it a time or two, and if you can tie a skinny knot, it's possible to just feed the new thread thru if you want to change colors. I only have a foot pedal...have never seen one with the start/stop like sewing machines, but, I honestly have never looked for that feature so it may exist and I am just not aware of it.
I couldn't sew knits without it. It makes such a nice finish on garments...helps make them look more professional, and makes a nice sturdy seam on kids clothes. Pretty much every piece of clothes I sew I serge the edges of each part unless the seam will be enclosed.
Nancy Zieman has a "Serge and Merge" quilt--I will try to find the link to the video.
Same here. They are indispensible for hemming jeans and slacks as well. Make for quick and easy finished seams!! I will always have a serger in my sewing room and my dream is the Babylock Evolve!!

FREE Quilting Newsletter