Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seriously is it just me? >

Seriously is it just me?

Seriously is it just me?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I was asked how much it would cost for me to get the machine that I would love to have and the response was you are out of your mind there are so many other things you could do with the money, so I decided to ask a few of my friends. I know I could have worded this thread differently but needed to get this type of response to show that it's not just me. So thank you all for the wonderful responses that I knew I would get, I knew a lot of you would get defensive and maybe angry but I knew it would be real! Some people don't understand that at some point in our lives mothers get to say "it's my turn I deserve this and I want it ".
That is why we have quilting forums and such. People who don't sew or quilt can't begin to understand. They think that a $89 Brother from Walmart is fine for everything--and it might be--for what they need.

But it is that way with any craft/hobby or specialization.

I found this quilting board in 2010 when I decided to buy my first "expensive" machine - a Janome 7700. I knew at that point that I didn't know anyone around me who could help me grow in my sewing expertise. No one knew more than basic sewing--and no one would understand my frustration with having a 5"throat and why that was too small....and I couldn't talk with any of them about spending almost 2K on a machine! That had to remain a secret!

I had to go on line to find a community of quilters who could teach me. When I found this forum, I was so happy!
Old 12-11-2014, 02:59 AM

I don't get it, either, but not so much because of the cost. My husband for years wanted to get me a brand new, expensive, no stops machine. It was like a dream to him to do this. I would go with him and try the new machines and hated them. Since the early eighties, I did not like the feel of the machines. None compared to the Wards I had inherited from my step-father. None compared to the first Kenmore my husband bought in the early eighties. Since the most basic Husquarvana I purchased in 1990, everything to me seems like junk -- even the expensive ones. They may make dream stitches but they feeeeeeel cheap to me. The 'pretties', as in exteriors and plastic trims, are cheezey, but then I have been surrounded by plastics geniuses for most of my life so probably see the poor craftsmanship and are bugged by mold lines and parts not locking properly. That is why I am not drawn to the newer, expensive machines, not the cost. Now, I would pay a lot of money for a pretty, shiny, all metal gorgeous vintage machine. I prefer cams as from an engineering standpoint, combined with materials used for such, they are actual tools. I prefer a machine I can fix and do not have to take in for every little temperamental fit. I recently obtained a Bernina made in 1976. This machine cost the original owner a LOT of money but was intended to last a lifetime. And it has outlived the owner. The monies being spent on machines of today are not an investment as in times past and will not last or be able to be repaired for a lifetime of sewing. Thus, I would have a hard time spending the money on one of these disposable machines (compared to machines of time past). To others, especially if in twilight years and have no concern to pass on to daughter, I get it. But for the most part, it does what top-of-the-line vintage machines do. Oh, the beauty and quality of the early plastics on vintage sewing machines! I get spending money on what one wants and is excited about but I don't get the looking at, let alone purchasing a new machine that costs 2K+. And the new machine followers just don't get paying all that money for something that requires changing things out and is sixty or seventy years old. To me the new machines are more work. To the followers of new machines the old machines are too much work. So, the answer your question, you are not alone in not getting it, but I accept it could be because I have some paradigm shortcomings. Thank you for braving the question as I had thought the same thing but when asked once of someone they took it as an insult and were upset, saying I was judging them and self-righteous. I was not, am not now; either are you with your question. I originally had asked because then, and even now, I am trying to figure out what I am missing in understanding as new, expensive machines make no sense to me. Oh, and after bringing the White Treadle and the Bernina 62C, DH says he so gets what I am talking about. He claimed the machine for himself and is going to quilt with me. He even hemmed his pajamas pants.

Last edited by yobrosew; 12-11-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:29 AM

I spent a fortune on my diamond. It is the best machine I ever had. I also like the top Janome. But can only afford 1 outrageously priced machine! I had free interest, so I bought it. I like all the functions and I embroider too. I take real good care of it because I can't afford to replace it . Retired, fixed income and all that! My husband has motorcycles....I have sewing machines. Life is good. I guess the smart a lack answer to your question is ....because they can!!!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:47 AM

I like playing with my machines. What more is there to say?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:51 AM

I feel I've earned it. I worked really hard for a lot of years to get myself out of the poverty I grew up in, into a position of financial stability. My bills are paid, I have no debt other than my mortgage, money is going to my Mom and into savings for my retirement and for emergencies and for my sister's kid's college expenses, and I give to my favorite charity every single month....all those bases are covered, so with the money left over in the budget each month, I have fun. I have no children, and my DH makes roughly the same as I do and we keep separate finances, so I am the only person who should care about what I do with my money (so long as I pay all my share of the bills!)

SO with my "fun money" I buy fabric, I buy books, I save it up and buy fancy new sewing machines, I buy old vintage sewing machines, I buy weird rulers and expensive thread and toy robots. I buy weird old things like chrome percolators and rusty hand tools and Pepsi crates and cobalt bottles and glass doorknobs and boxes of hand-forged nails that all remind me of various people and places from my past and make me smile... I have given myself permission to spoil myself as much as I want and in any way I want, within my budget's limits.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 AM

I always sewed with an old plastic Singer and it gave me tons of problems. I went to a LQS for my first quilt class and the machine broke down the day before my last class. They assured me I could borrow their machine. I was absolutely floored at how the machine 'hummed' and how it worked. It was second hand and cost $2900 and I went online and bought it from eBay for $1400. I have had it now for 9 years and it still hums for me and I have never once had it repaired, and I love her. That is why I spent what I did for a machine.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:16 AM

I have a Pfaff 7570 which I bought when it first came out. I love it, but thought I wanted more bells and whistes so I have had several Janomes. I have a 8900 now and it is a great machine, but still love the Pfaff most. When I sew on it I feel relaxed and happy even if it doesn't have a huge throat area or thread cutter. Why did I buy others? I think it was shop owner pressure, friend envy who had fancier models, greed, lack of research and test driving. My resolution again this year is to stop spending and start enjoying and using what I have. Early quilters used scraps, not expensive fabric. They did lots by hand or on a very basic machine, not a $3000 model that cut thread for them. I'm all for going back to basics.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 AM

For years I did all of my sewing on the least expensive machines, because that was what I could afford. I had an opportunity a few years ago to buy a "big fancy" quilting machine so I did. My reasons were, now that I can make quilts work out right, I felt it was time to see how the other half lived, so I started shopping for a machine. I looked at almost all of the brands, and what sold me on mine was first of all price (I am a cheap old broad, lol!) and then the includes. I got an extension table, knee lift for the needle, self threading needle, hundreds of stitches, the ability to sew sideways during quilting, programable stitches, thread cutter, 3 alphabets, 150+ stitches, 10+ feet, available other feet, 1 step button holes, the list goes on, but that is all I have tried so far. I was not interested in a long arm set up because of lack of space for one so I did not look at them. I have discovered with trial and error that I am much more comfortable using QAG methods so that is what I am currently doing. My shoulders and neck have been too damaged to quilt whole quilts on a DSM. The only queen size I quilted on my machine, took me weeks to recover from, so no more of that for me. When I bought my machine I got a great discount, and another discount because I was willing to buy the floor model. My machine was just at $1000, and worth every penny. Go shopping before you decide what you need, and can use, so you know what kind of machine would suit you. If you never buy a "big fancy" you will still make great quilts, so the choice is yours.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:05 AM

Everything is relative People have different incomes and different hobbies and desires. Look how much money can be spent on a sports car, motorcycle, clothes, jewelry, ski trips and equipment golf green fees, vacations, cruises...on and on. An expensive sewing machine is just another choice and relative to your income. At least with sewing machines, it can be used for years and years and for charity, family, gifts, home deco, quilts etc, as well as being a source of entertainment and enjoyment. Different choices make the world go round
Old 12-11-2014, 10:58 AM

It comes down to some people are happy with a used Ford or Chevy and some must have a Cadillac to be happy, I have a Kenmore 19000 embroidery machine mom paid $1000 for a long time ago, rest are under $200 and at 68 I will not spend money I don't have on a big fancy machine. To each his own. Our main car is 17 years old with less than 90,000 miles and van is 2005 and no interest in a new one. Would love a brother embroidery machine that is 5-600. that I can down load designs off computer, but who knows, maybe or maybe not. Have to had sticks for the 19000 and not that easy to find. What I truly envy is S P A C E. That I would give a lot for.