Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seriously is it just me? >

Seriously is it just me?

Seriously is it just me?

Old 12-10-2014, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy2 View Post
Sewing is my one vice so I treat myself by using the best machines I know of. I am a hand quilter. The only quilts I do on the machine are the ones for Linus as they will be washed and cared for by persons not likely to know much about real quilts.
That was a funny-to-me comment.

I came into quilting late in the overall scheme of things and I can no more imagine making a quilt by hand than I can making a skirt by hand. I could, I suppose, but I can't imagine it, unless something catastophic happened and I HAD to. Even then, I'd think that a machine made skirt would be stronger.

I guess I am really "new school" because I really don't care for hand-pieced and hand-quilted (anything) that much--except as a novelty item.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post

So does anyone ever say why did you pay so much for a car?
Definitely!!!!!!!
Old 12-10-2014, 02:45 PM
Banned

I have to agree with PatriceJ.

Although I have only been sewing for about 23 years, I feel as if
I have worked hard for my money, and the only person I feel the
need to justify my reasoning for a mid-range priced machine (both
my combo sewing/embroidery machines cost over $1000 to $2500)
is my hubs who DOES make the finally decision on my getting a newer,
and better machine.

He DOES know what my 3 "dream" machines are maybe someday
that will come true, but not exactly expecting them to be under any
tree in my near future.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Why? I don't have room for a long arm machine and have no interest in quilting for others even if I did have the room. I want to experience everything my machine can do from piecing a quilt, sewing heirloom garments, machine embroidery and quilting. I figure after raising a family, and working most of my life I deserve it!

I agree. I bought a used Pfaff 1471 and I had to try it all. I even learned to program stitches by B00L00. Taught myself a lot. I still have a Pfaff, and I got the PQ 1500 for straight stitching and harp. I use both. I sew clothes, so I also have a serger and coverstitch.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:52 PM

If someone has to question why someone spends thousands of $ on a machine, it sounds like they are not needing the features of a TOL machine. I'd suggest visiting a local dealer to test drive some of these machines to see what you are not understanding or know about. Some people only need a straight stitch machine while others are needing a variety of stitches and flexibility with their sewing for projects. If you can get by with a $10 vintage machine that's great, but there are many people who don't want their creativity inhibited by the limits of their machines. I have $10 machines and I have TOL machines. Both have their places and uses in my sewing hobby.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:26 PM

I guess to some I'd be considered spoiled. I have my Pfaff that I bought on layaway in 1990 for $1500...tons of money for a single mom of 2 at that time, but I worked and paid on it until it was mine and I could bring it home. I still wouldn't trade that machine for anything and use it constantly for most things.

Fast forward 30 years... I wanted a small embroidery machine to make 1" letters for some purses and was happy to consider the small Brother embroidery machines. My husband of not too many years went into the local sewing machine shop several times without me knowing it and looked them over before I went in. I had decided on the low end one on the right and he kept walking to the high end one on the left...we left with his choice of machines a Brother 2800 D for around $4,500 by the time he got done with threads and stablizers. He actually used it more at first than I did.

The next year he decided if I was going to piece the quilt tops, then he wanted them to be entirely made by me and insisted we needed a long arm...again going into the shop for information about the Pfaff Grand Quilter 18. I kicked and hollered that I didn't need a machine like that and he thought otherwise. It now sits in our remodeled sewing area after taking up the front room for over a year.

This spring he saw the sales on the new Brother machines and really thought we needed the bigger hoop area (the one we had was 6x10 max) so we traded the 2800D in and got a Quattro 2 upgrade.

Never ever ever would I have dreamed we'd spent over $15,000 on sewing machines let alone spend it within 4 years.

We don't justify it to anyone...our kids are grown, we both work at full time jobs and enjoy using all of the machines. Would a cheaper one work? Yes but if he wants to invest in machines he enjoys then that's a choice I can leave with.
All I'd like is for everyone to be happy with the machines they have and be happy that others have the ones they have also.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:55 PM

I was shocked to see how much I had spent on my first sewing machine. It was over $300 for a Singer touch n sew in the early to mid-70's. I was a student and didn't have extra money for much of anything. I needed to sew clothes for myself because I needed to add 2-4" to the length of pants, and 2" to the length of tops. Storebought clothes at that time frame were seriously too short.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:42 PM

I have had several people make comments about my machines and my cars. I sold my 2000 Ford Windstar and purchased a new-to-me 2007 Mercedes Benz. I just recently traded my Brother Quattro for a Babylock Destiny. Why? Because I wanted them. No children at home, I went back to work for 7 years and saved every penny, and husband always wants me to be happy. Piecing quilts is a very-very small part of my sewing/craft/playing. I can rent time on a long arm machine from a local dealer. $25.00 per hour and I do not have to make payments on the entire machine. Nor am I "expected" to work for others to "justify" to people why I should have any machine. ( about 2 days after I got my Destiny, I had someone say she needed several pants hemmed and a jacket needing a new zipper. I Should be happy to do all this work "in order to pay for that over-priced machine". She was so surprised when I told her it was paid for before it left the store. So was the car. That surprised her too, since she had a car half the price with a 5 year note on it. People have different needs and different finances. I don't understand people spending hundreds of dollars for a purse. But, if they enjoy it, why not?
Old 12-10-2014, 06:28 PM

In 1933 a Singer Featherweight was a huge expense for depression families, but women saved their egg money and made clothes for their families or others to make money. I think in comparison, the cost is similar. Back in the mid1990s, my husband bought me a new Janome 9000 for half price (marked down because the 10000 was coming out.) We looked around at machines, and loved the quiet sound of it, so I could sew while we watched TV. I love the shape of it - rounded and sweet. And we felt the high quality made it worth what it cost. Hubby used some of the small inheritance he got when his mother died, and has always been pleased for me to have such a good machine. I don't use the embroidery features as much as I thought I would, but my Jan is still my treasure. Makes me sad when people tell me it's outdated, because it's still humming along beautifully with minimal maintenance.
Back then we were both working and the chicks had left our nest. I agree that everyone has a standard of what to spend and what they want. Go with your heart!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 PM

I bought the Janome 7700 because of all the features and that it had a wide throat so I could quilt on it. Previous to that I had an inexpensive Janome ($400) and had had it for about 10 years. A teacher in a quilt workshop said it was not much more than a toy. (I was offended.) Now the girls in my quilt class are trying to talk me into buying an embroidery machine. I know they do lovely work but as I say to them I want to learn everything my7700 has to offer. It makes me happy and for straight stitch I still have my toy.