Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Set in machine >

Set in machine

Set in machine

Old 10-03-2013, 04:04 PM

I do not have a cutout in my table....but I do have my machine set in!!!!
First I cut the legs of the table to the height I wanted and then I cut out a hole for my machine in a 4 X 4 piece of plywood.
I sanded all edges very smooth and then applied many, many coats of polyurethane.
Very sturdy and I know I would have ruined a table had I tried to cut a hole and put in a shelf!!! I am just not that good of a carpenter!!! But what I have works very well for me!!!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 PM

I have a sewing desk that my machine sinks into. It is a very nice desk but was made for sewing. I love it!!!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:57 PM

My DH did it & he is definitely not a carpenter. We bought a $90 pine table and he measured & made a shelf & used 'L' brackets. I think the hardest part was determining the height needed to make the machine flush.

I'm sure you can find a video on youtube that would be helpful!
Attached Thumbnails janometable-2s.jpg  
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 PM

I would totally recommend it. I have three sewing tables and one more for a serger (which I never used ):...) and love them all. Today I emailed dreamworld company the size of the openings so they can cut inserts that are specific for my sewing machine and can't wait to order them.
One way to convince him is that your shoulders hurt now because you are sewing with a machine higher than the table and your shoulders but when you get the opening your shoulders will relax and be level (no more pain if sewing for long hours)...hey worth the shot...lol
Old 10-03-2013, 09:02 PM

Look at mission organisation some beautiful set in systems. Also if you google search there are even u tube showing it being done. I'm looking and trying to build up courage to do it.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:18 AM

Mine is set in, similar to carrieg's picture, but I had an acrylic cutout made to fit around my machine so it's one continuous space and nothing can fall in (other than a small area off around the throat where the machine curved down). The lift on my table gives me the option of flush, sunk down or sunk way down (I guess that's for when you want to hide your machine away, but I never use that). There's a wooden insert to cover it when it's flush for my embroidery unit.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

I bought a Horn cabinet second-hand for a bargain price of $70.00 (that's cheap here). It is one of the best things I have ever bought....the inset machine plus the flip out table bit has made things way easier.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 AM

I want to (sooooo bad) to get me set in, down level with top of my table. I have a board in mind, just need to saw out shape, use very long bolts to hold from top. Wish me luck?!!!..... I built the table myself, so anything is possible???
Old 10-04-2013, 08:17 AM

Mine does have an insert around it, but the picture above was during the process!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:24 AM

I have 2 vintage machines in cabinets, plus two treadles. My 201 sits on the table top, as does my embroidery machine. I prefer having the machine set into a table or cabinet for serious sewing.