Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Set in machine >

Set in machine

Set in machine

Old 10-05-2013, 07:03 AM

Having the machine level with the table top makes a huge difference! No strain on my back and shoulders any more and quilting, especially free motion is so much easier. My sewing room is also the guest room/everything room. For Christmas, my DH bought me a "Big Bertha" table where the machine lowers into the knee space, the whole thing folds and closes up and rolls away! I LOVE IT! One suggestion - if you cut the hole in the table - get a Plexiglas "sew easy table" custom sized for your machine then have the hole in the table cut to accommodate the "Sew Easy", make the platform your machine sets on as large as the hole. You can put a "tap light" or "light stick" under there and viola you have a light box for tracing and the light from below makes paper piecing a "piece of cake" !
Old 10-05-2013, 07:34 AM

I have a lovely Horn Quiltmate II cabinet, just by changing out the insert all 4 of my machines can use the same cabinet.
I have Berninas 930,1031 and Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875 and the Pfaff 1222E.
The picture shows my Pfaff 1222E in the cabinet. Its much easier on my shoulders to have my machine in a cabinet. Sorry the picture is blurry.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails pics-elaine-joe-003.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 10-05-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:58 AM

I have one set in, and love it.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:38 PM

Mine is set in a horn table, with the cutout made especially for my machine. I love it.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:51 PM

I have two machines - both set in and it makes a world of difference. My husband cut out both - one solid wood table from IKEA and one table from Habitat. They are super.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by drivingsusan View Post
I do not have a cutout in my table....but I do have my machine set in!!!!
First I cut the legs of the table to the height I wanted and then I cut out a hole for my machine in a 4 X 4 piece of plywood.
I sanded all edges very smooth and then applied many, many coats of polyurethane.
Very sturdy and I know I would have ruined a table had I tried to cut a hole and put in a shelf!!! I am just not that good of a carpenter!!! But what I have works very well for me!!!!!
Can you please post a picture. What is the 4 X 4 plywood attached to so that the machine is able to set in?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:07 PM

Yep! Got mine done. If you look through the thread you'll see how he fit my first Janome in and updated it to put my new one in.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/mission...m-t209312.html

Some advice -- make sure you leave a cut-out for the power cord/off-on switch (my first cut-out wasn't big enough so I had to use an object to get in there to turn it on) as well as the embroidery mechanism if you have it on your machine. In my old machine it would move out about 1/2 inch, on this one it moves about 1/4 inch. Also, if I hit the wrong button on the quilting stitches the mechanism will try to move out. If I actually want to use the quilting hoops the machine has to come out of the hole.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 AM

Mine is set in. I love it like this. My table is one that has a hole already and I have a new cabinet we'll be assembling soon that has a hydraulic lift. I can't wait to use it.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Mine is set in, similar to carrieg's picture, but I had an acrylic cutout made to fit around my machine so it's one continuous space and nothing can fall in (other than a small area off around the throat where the machine curved down). The lift on my table gives me the option of flush, sunk down or sunk way down (I guess that's for when you want to hide your machine away, but I never use that). There's a wooden insert to cover it when it's flush for my embroidery unit.
Hello Nilla,
Can you please tell me where you had an acrylic cutout made to fit around your machine in order to make it one continuous space? I have an old Singer Sewing Cabinet with a recessed shelf. I need to lower the shelf held by L brackets only 3/8" to make the machine flush to the sewing cabinet.

I have a slide on acrylic tray that came with my machine. Would I keep my slide on tray and then measure the open space to be filled to order an insert? I hope this makes sense. Thanks bunches!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 AM

I recently did this and had some issue with the machine bouncing a bit too much. Solved it by shoving pool noodle pieces between the table and the shelf. I love love love my set in machine. I blogged about it but I know we're not suppose to send you away.
I didn't want to spend the big bucks on an official table and I prefer a deeper area behind my machine. I already had some tables that I loved that were already in my craft room so we cut up one of them. I have to admit that I have another one of these tables in my garage. I had originally purchased another one and was going to make it taller for a cutting table but it didn't work... so I bought an awesome cutting table at Ikea and the extra table is in the garage, collecting dust so if it didn't work, we weren't going to be out anything
I had a piece of plexiglass cut at a local glass store to fit to the left of the machine. My machine has a side access bobbin so I wanted a little room on that side to get my meat hooks in there

[ATTACH=CONFIG]439893[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails juki-table.jpg