Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 PM

It has never happened to me and hope it never does. OUCH! :oops:
Old 08-16-2011, 05:55 PM

I have come close.Last project I keep running my hand into the rotary cutter,so I have anew respect for closing it when I lay it on the table.the pointer sticks are really nice for holding the fabric close,I have a wooden one and a long pointy one by fons and porter.a couple weeks ago I got my finger stuck between the needle and throat plate, finger was tight with the sharp tip of the needle.And the presser foot was up as far as it could go.I was so glad my janome didn't start with the ghost run.Hope you have 50 more years before you have this happen again.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM

I did it when I was young. The needle broke and was lodged in my finger. Went through the nail and was sticking out the other side. My Mom pulled it out and ran cold water on it. She did that whenever we got hurt. I have a small ball of scar tissue in there that I can feel if I push on it. Nothing ever happened to me.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Once and hope I never do again!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Yes, last October using my Designer 1 for one of the first times on my own, my finger slipped & you can't put the presser foot down when you want to on that machine. That was the beginning of the end of my ownership of that machine. Never trusted it again!! Sold it & bought a Viking Emerald 203 that I can place the presser foot & control the needle easier. My finger was sore for a good 2 weeks, didn't get infected, thankfully.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
Well, today I did something that I have never did in my 5 decades of sewing, i was feeding a strip of quilting in my janome, needle down, and sneezed. my pointer finger on my right hand went right under the foot and sewed! I yanked my finger out, needle down, broke the needle, ouch. DH pulled two pieces of the needle out of my finger. Emergecny room cost big bucks with my insurance, tomorrow I am going to my doc for a tetanus shot and pain pills. it is a thumping. I did not bleed on the strip though, typing is hard. I went back and finished the strips, cannot iron. Did anyone ever do this? any infection? how long to heal??
Yes, I did. Just wasn't paying attention and my left index finger went under the foot. Needle broke. Scared the devil out of me. I also pulled two pieces out of my finger, but there's still a teeny third piece in there. I didn't go to the doc. Just kept an antibiotic cream and bandaid on it. My finger was sore a while, maybe a week, the most, but there wasn't any localized redness or apparent infection. Can hardly see the piece anymore unless I press the skin down very hard. I'm embarrassed to say I never thought about getting a tetanus shot :oops:
Sounds like you really hurt yourself, and I hope all goes well with your healing :-)
Angela
Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM

Yes, I did do that, mine went in my finger nail and out the other side. Like you I pulled back and broke the needle off in my finger. it was very late and everyone was sleeping, I tried to pull it out but could'nt get a hold of it. so wraped it up with the needle still in it and went to bed. Boy did it hurt! next morning said to hubby I broke a needle off in my finger, he went white and off we went to the doctors, I just missed the bone, so was lucky. I now don't sew late at night..LOL

I would say it will hurt for 3 or 4 days and will take time to be able to sew with that finger. doctor will give you some pain pills..

hope yours heals faster and it stops hurting.. Good luck..
Old 08-16-2011, 08:37 PM

I hope you feel better soon. After reading all the post here I especially want to be extra careful. A cold pack might help. Good luck. :)
Old 08-17-2011, 06:16 AM

Never done that, but I did slice a piece of my left forefinger off with a rotary cutter! Am very careful now.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
Well, today I did something that I have never did in my 5 decades of sewing, i was feeding a strip of quilting in my janome, needle down, and sneezed. my pointer finger on my right hand went right under the foot and sewed! I yanked my finger out, needle down, broke the needle, ouch. DH pulled two pieces of the needle out of my finger. Emergecny room cost big bucks with my insurance, tomorrow I am going to my doc for a tetanus shot and pain pills. it is a thumping. I did not bleed on the strip though, typing is hard. I went back and finished the strips, cannot iron. Did anyone ever do this? any infection? how long to heal??
Just wondering how the Dr. Apointment went, everything is ok ??