Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-16-2011, 05:24 AM

My sister-in-law was a nurse for a long time before she became a hospital administrator. When I told her I sewed my finger she made me go to the doctor ASAP. She said puncture wounds are the kind that get infections really easy.
Prior to me sewing my own finger, I used to think that anybody who did it was not very bright. Oh - what a humbling experience for me!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:43 AM

lol that was just to funny. I did that when I was about 15,went right through my nail,first finger, the left hand. My machine stopped sewing and I could not figure out why, looked down and bingo, sewed the finger. It never did hurt. I did not yank it out either. I just unscrewed the needle and showed mom. I did have to go to the doc for him to pull it out (mom could not heheh) then a shot. no infection, some pain, and really careful now. hope all goes well for you.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
Well, today I did something that I have never did in my 5 decades of sewing, i was feeding a strip of quilting in my janome, needle down, and sneezed. my pointer finger on my right hand went right under the foot and sewed! I yanked my finger out, needle down, broke the needle, ouch. DH pulled two pieces of the needle out of my finger. Emergecny room cost big bucks with my insurance, tomorrow I am going to my doc for a tetanus shot and pain pills. it is a thumping. I did not bleed on the strip though, typing is hard. I went back and finished the strips, cannot iron. Did anyone ever do this? any infection? how long to heal??
Did it years ago. HURT!! DD also did it while sewing with me. No infection, but tetanus shot is good idea. Didn't break needle off, turned to get it off of DD, mine happened so fast needle was already up. Can I say, "Welcome to the club," now? Heal fast!
Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM

I had an aunt many, many years ago (probably early 50's) that did that and to this day I still remember that, even though I wasn't there and didn't see it. I was a young girl at that time and it has stayed with me. I think of it often when I'm sewing. To have yanked your finger out and broken the needle sounds even more horrible and worse pain. I hope it gets well soon! :-(
Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Ok, Ok, I have to admit, yes I have done this. Not once but twice and the second time was two weeks ago. I did not sew through the nail just the side of the finger one time I broke the needle as you did the second time the needle was in the up position, It hurt a lot for a while. All better now.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:27 AM

been there, done that, I was a new wed. it home by my self and sew my finger, broke the needle in my finger, had to pull it out by myself. My DH come home from work not sure which get him more that I sew my finger or that I put out by myself.OOOH the good times of sewing.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Thankfully NO!
Ouch, I quivered when I read some of these.

Hope you will be ok with no infection.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 PM

I feel your pain......I was embroidering with my 6 needle and felt I had to get something out of the way and stuck my fingertip right under the needle. They come down so fast, I just pulled my hand away. The needle went through the tip of my fingernail and just grazed the top of my finger. Turned black and blue for a few days.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:38 PM

I did it about 40 years ago when I was a teen.

I'm learning to free motion quilt and have gotten VERY close to the needle. Hope your finger feels better in the morning.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:39 PM

I've done it a couple of times over the years...
If your husband removed 2 pieces of needle, was he able to recreate the whole needle??? that is a way to see if there is any missing pieces...
I was put on antibiotics both times due to it being a puncture wound...