Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 AM

I am so sorry, I did it once, and just went through fingernail and tip. Scared the bejebus out of me though. The last time I almost did it when I pulled back I broke my needle threader off my brand new Juki 2010. Scared me again.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:09 AM

OMG..hope you'll feeling better..please go to Dr. as puncture wounds can get infected..I have come close..I have long finger nails and ran a needle onto one of them just the other day..scared me to death..hope you get better soon..so sorry to hear this !!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 AM

Not with a sewing machine but I did staple my left index finger with an electric air staple gun. Managed to get both prongs in my finger. Neosporin first day, soap and water from there and Advil work wonders. Hope it feels better soon!! And, definitely the tetanis shot!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
Well, today I did something that I have never did in my 5 decades of sewing, i was feeding a strip of quilting in my janome, needle down, and sneezed. my pointer finger on my right hand went right under the foot and sewed! I yanked my finger out, needle down, broke the needle, ouch. DH pulled two pieces of the needle out of my finger. Emergecny room cost big bucks with my insurance, tomorrow I am going to my doc for a tetanus shot and pain pills. it is a thumping. I did not bleed on the strip though, typing is hard. I went back and finished the strips, cannot iron. Did anyone ever do this? any infection? how long to heal??
I did that when I was a little girl. I was smart enough to know not to pull it out. I called for my mom, (she was a nurse) who very calmly turn the flywheel till the needle came up and out came my finger with a hole through the fingernail and all the way through the finger, not one drop of blood. But it sure was sore for a while. It still makes me cringe. Hope you heal fast.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 AM

(Who hasn't?)
Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 AM

I have done it, but thankfully only grazed the side of my finger instead of going though...but I do know of others who have sewed through their finger...sorry this happened to you and hope it heals fast!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 AM

I did it last year, needle broke off in my finger when it fractured the bone. Had to have it removed in the ER. The nurse told me of a quilter (an older amish woman) who had to have her finger amputated because she did not have a wound like this taken care of. I had to see a surgeon also, still have a 1.5mm piece of needle in my finger. Puncture wounds are very dangerous. I had to be on antibiotics for 2 weeks also. I took special care, did not want to get infected. I did finish the project I had been working on though with my finger bandaged.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 AM

Wowzers that has to hurt...
Old 08-15-2011, 04:50 AM

Yes, when I was 16 and just learning to sew. Ended up in ER to take the needle out. I did the same with my foot. I now wear shoes when quilting. I ended up having surgey to take the needle out of the bone and ended up in the hospital for 3 days with IV's.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:51 AM

When I was 17, a zillion years ago. I didn't break the needle but it hurt like the dickens. I was taking a typing class and yes it hurt to type. I hope you feel better soon.