Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Wow, you'd think we were doing hand to hand combat instead of sewing!!! Between sewing our fingers (JMAbby, how did you get your little finger?) and cutting with the rotary cutter, we are a sorry bunch. Soon we'll all be like the butcher with 9 fingers. lol
Sue
Old 08-14-2011, 06:08 PM

I did it in high school home ec class. Will never forget that pain. Soak in ice water to help numb. Keep your hand above your heart to slow the throbbing. See the doc tomorrow for sure, you could still have a bit of needle in there. Take care.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM

Did it earlier this year and it did get infected. It closed quickly and the infection started inside. I took care of it myself (not recommended). It did hurt for a long time.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM

I made this mistake in home ec class in junior high!Boys does it hurt and its a shocker! But I have always been extra careful after that. I can't remember how long it took to heal. The needle was stuck in my finger and the teacher had to come over and hand turn the wheel to get it out of there. Not a good day in class. But that was EONS ago...lol
But I can still remember it.
The good news is, it does heal.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 PM

yes I did that too ,2 times first time jerked my finger back and broke needle. and 2ND time the needle and thread both went thew my finger and stoped. There I sat all alone and thought now what do I do.Lets see if I roll wheel forward the needle will go down so I have to roll it backward and I did and the needle came out. WHEW -- THAT WAS ENOUGH FOR ME. Been long time ago and don't remember pain or what I did for healing it up, remember I
I never went to the doc.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:06 PM

Yes I did and got scared the second it happened and yanked...the needle broke off sticking out of both sides of my finger.

Because it was still threaded I had to cut the thread then pull the needle completely through my finger.

I was fine until after the needle came out, then it started bleeding. Nearly fell off my chair in shock. It didn't hurt (not like when I cut my finger tip off with the rotary!!!! - see other post)...just the shock of it made me weak afterwards.

It healed fine, no infection. Must have been a new needle. My Bernina didn't even hesitate, that's a good machine.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:28 PM

I think it is funny you were more worried about blood on the fabric and still finished it! You go girl!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver
Well, today I did something that I have never did in my 5 decades of sewing, i was feeding a strip of quilting in my janome, needle down, and sneezed. my pointer finger on my right hand went right under the foot and sewed! I yanked my finger out, needle down, broke the needle, ouch. DH pulled two pieces of the needle out of my finger. Emergecny room cost big bucks with my insurance, tomorrow I am going to my doc for a tetanus shot and pain pills. it is a thumping. I did not bleed on the strip though, typing is hard. I went back and finished the strips, cannot iron. Did anyone ever do this? any infection? how long to heal??
"...I did not bleed on the strip though"... Something only a quilter would say. haha Seriously though, I hope it gets well soon.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:01 PM

Not to me but to one of the operators at the factory where I worked. She turned on her light to signal for help (me) and when I arrived she showed me her index finger with the needle fully through. She wanted me to bring up the needle to release her. With stomach heaving, I did. She went to the office for first aid and soon returned to her machine. Doing piecework she couldn't afford to loose time.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm sorry this happened to you. This is my worst fear.