Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewed my finger today!!  Have you ever done this???? >

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

sewed my finger today!! Have you ever done this????

Old 08-14-2011, 11:17 PM

About a year ago I zig zagged through the side of my middle finger. I got distracted by something and looked away. It broke the needle, but luckily missed my nail. It was mostly healed a week out, but hurt a bit in that area for 2 weeks. I learned my lesson. LOL
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 AM
QM
Power Poster

Yes, I have done that. I sewed right through the bone on my old Viking. I poured alcohol over the whole thing before removing it. It bled like crazy, which is a good thing for getting rid of germs. Gob it up with something like Neosporin, wrap with several layers of bandaging to keep from banging it on things, Elevate, Ice and it will probably be much better in the morning. Unless you jerked around against the needle, I doubt a pain killer would really help much. With smaller punctures, I use NuSkin, which hurts like the blazes but has always prevented infections for me.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 AM

My Mom sewed all the time (when she wasn't working on her leathercraft) and my brother when he was about 2 was watching her. All of a sudden he put his finger beneath the needle and she sewed him!! ER and tetanus shot but no infection. He went around showing everyone his "sewded" finger all wrapped up. My mother was mortified as he told everyone she "sewded" him. It's one of those family stories.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:50 AM

I did it once....years ago. But just a couple of years ago my grandson did it. The needle went thru his finger and broke off (needle sticking out of both top and bottom of finger). It was very close to tendons so rather than take a chance on damaging the tendons if they took it out in the ER he had surgery to remove it. He eventually had full use of his finger again.

judyjo
Old 08-15-2011, 03:53 AM

I did that when I was 16 with an old treadle machine ( old sewing machine with pump foot pedal). Pulled the broken needle out and was fine till it started to bleed then I went screaming to my mother.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:54 AM

I have only done it once. It was on a commercial machine in a factory. I did the same thing, jerked my finger out and ripped it. It took a while to heal. Once it all it takes to really watch where your fingers are. LOL Hope you heal fast.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:59 AM

Here are pictures, with the culprit blocks too.

Originally Posted by nhweaver
Well, today I did something that I have never did in my 5 decades of sewing, i was feeding a strip of quilting in my janome, needle down, and sneezed. my pointer finger on my right hand went right under the foot and sewed! I yanked my finger out, needle down, broke the needle, ouch. DH pulled two pieces of the needle out of my finger. Emergecny room cost big bucks with my insurance, tomorrow I am going to my doc for a tetanus shot and pain pills. it is a thumping. I did not bleed on the strip though, typing is hard. I went back and finished the strips, cannot iron. Did anyone ever do this? any infection? how long to heal??
morris workshop blocks finger
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242078[/ATTACH]

finger eating machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]242079[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-242072.jpe   attachment-242073.jpe  
Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 AM

Well, today I did something that I have never did in my 5 decades of sewing, i was feeding a strip of quilting in my janome, needle down, and sneezed. my pointer finger on my right hand went right under the foot and sewed! I yanked my finger out, needle down, broke the needle, ouch. DH pulled two pieces of the needle out of my finger. Emergecny room cost big bucks with my insurance, tomorrow I am going to my doc for a tetanus shot and pain pills. it is a thumping. I did not bleed on the strip though, typing is hard. I went back and finished the strips, cannot iron. Did anyone ever do this? any infection? how long to heal??
I haven't done this, but thanks for the warning about sneezing. I'm such a klutz that I always try to be extra careful around the sewing machine and the rotary cutter. I suppose I should get a klutz glove...

My doctor always gives me a tetanus buster when I get to a birthday with a round number (40, 50, 60), so it is easy to remember when you last had one.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Deb
Old 08-15-2011, 04:02 AM

The needle went into the hole in the center of the nail, broke off, dh pulled the shank piece out the hole, eye part was stuck in the pad, pulled that one out, missing 1/4" part of needle. went I pulled the finger out of the machine, the broken part scored the nail open.
Here are pictures, with the culprit blocks too.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:03 AM

Yes, I did that when I was in my early 20's and bought a new sewing machine, my first machine of my own. I had just gotten married and wanted to do some sewing. At home we always used Mom's machine. I still remember how much it hurt. I hope you recover real soon. Speaking as a nurse, do go get a tetanis shot though.