Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing alone or with friends?

I do a little of both. I go to a Friday night sew every other Fri night. Not all sew, some crochet and knit or do yo yo's. I find I get more done when I am here all alone. And everything is right handy.
    But I do take fabs to be cut sometimes because I have use of the huge cutting tables at the quilt shop.

Blog Entries
    I do both.

I have extreme health issues so I am often at home alone. On those days I tend to read about more than "do". When a friend comes over to sew, I get a lot done. The more I talk the more I do.

Unfortunately, I make sewing buddies and then they have to go to work! And then I'm buddy-less again.

I need to find a way to be accountable to somebody, so I will keep sewing. I need motivation...

Blog Entries
    My company is my 3 Goldens. I have a quilter friend but she lives 1 1/2 hours away, so we connect by email usually. I'd love to have someone nearby to sew with, anyone near me??

Wish I had someone to sew with!
    I live in a rural area and I don't drive(never have)
    I don't know of anyone to get together with and we have no guilds in our county.

I used to have a group of girlfriends that got together once a week for an evening of sewing. It was fun. But they have all moved away. Now I sew alone (with my puppy dog for company)

I also sew alone except for times when a friend comes to visit. She usually stays for the night and she, too is a quilter. We have lots of fun and get stuff done, but unfortunately, she doesn't get to come out often enough. I have been to her house, too, we worked together many years ago when neither one of us ever thought about quilting! Now that is all we talk about!

I enjoy sewing alone or with friends. When I'm at home I want to be alone. I don't want anyone else in my sewing room. Tried that once and rulers, fabric, books, notions, rotary cutters, thread, etc. kept disappearing. Now only dd and two of my sisters are allowed to go through my stash.
    However, I love my sewing clubs, BOMs and retreats at Threads of Time in Danville, Il.

I sew alone, not too many friends sew. The one that does sew, I find I can not sew with as she is relying on me to do the work and get her further. I enjoy different classes I have been a part of. I am doing those for learning, so generally I do not sew well in a group. I come home and do it, find I am happiest working by myself at my own pace, which some days is questionable.

Ummmm, I hear you about stuff dissapearing or getting broke. We use a permanent marker to mark rulers etc. and I had to implement that people would bring their own rulers and stuff. We do have a community cutting board and iron. I have also learned to keep my stuff out of one sweet friends way who is a compulsive cleaner upper but cleans other people's stuff up into her own bag. No she is not a cleptomaniac and I do get my stuff back over time from her. LOL I used to be easier going but we all have different standards and some of this stuff is just too expensive. One time one lady was hitting my $2000 sewing machine because it would not go she wanted it to. This was the beginning of bring your own stuff. Anna

[quote=raptureready]I enjoy sewing alone or with friends. When I'm at home I want to be alone. I don't want anyone else in my sewing room. Tried that once and rulers, fabric, books, notions, rotary cutters, thread, etc. kept disappearing. Now only dd and two of my sisters are allowed to go through my stash.
    However, I love my sewing clubs, BOMs and retreats at Threads of Time in Danville, Il.[/

Pam
    Funky Monkey comes over here to sew, but we mostly eat and laugh. I have managed to get another sewing station set up so maybe can can get something done next time!

I have a sewing buddy that comes over about once a week. As good as our intentions are, we often don't make a lot of progress, but we do always have a good time!

Blog Entries
    My sewing buddie keeps me going. She is a very highly motivated person and her energy level is awesome.

We try to get together once a week to sew together. We each did a, what we called, "Learning Hearts" applique quilt. It was really fun and because we were doing the same quilt, and actually the same fabrics (would rather have done our own colors), we had kind of a competition to see how fast we could get them done. Well, her's is finished and I just have the top together. She had hers long arm quilted and I want to do mine by hand, which means it will be a long time getting done.

We are now starting another applique quilt but we are each doing our own design this time.

We help each other and learn from each other. Fun! Fun!

Dani
    Attached Images Attached Images

I always sew alone. Unless DGD wants to sew and then I'm not sewing, just helping her. It is fun though.

I sew alone as none of my friends have an interest in sewing.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Actually, I like doing both. I get more done when I sew alone, but I love the gab fest when sewing with friends. And we all have different tastes so I get to see quilts I may not have thought about doing myself.

:) For years my best friend came each Monday evening adn Wednesday afternoons,another friend joined us on Wednesday.We had a grand time. We haven't done that for ages. We would talk and laugh and fix all the worlds problems.
    We even sewed.

Blog Entries
    I usually sew alone. None of my friends share my love for sewing/quilting. My oldest DD will sit in the kitchen with me sometimes when I sew.

I sew alone . I don't have any quilting friends and no LQS. I do belong to a guild but its an hour away so I don't go every month. It's hard to get to know the guild members as everyone comes the meeting just when it starts and leaves as soon as it's over. Probably why I don't feel guilty about missing meetings or the drive.
    I also belong to a group that meets the 1st Sat. of the month but usually I'm so excited to be with other quilters that I don't get much done. Also if I have to work on that Sat. I miss that meeting and sewing session as well. Fortunately this group has a quilt retreat twice a year for 3 days. I try to make every one and just love it!! It's truly my favorite vacation !!!

I sew alone most of the time. It is my way to relax and enjoy doing something that I love to do. Sometimes, though, I get together with a friend. She is a new quilter and wow, is she hooked. I am helping her learn some techniques and she does beautiful work. We go shopping for fabric of course, but sometimes we get together for a stitch and bitch. We go out for lunch and then sit and sew all afternoon. We have a lot of fun.

I sew alone most of the time. It is my way to relax and enjoy doing something that I love to do. Sometimes, though, I get together with a friend. She is a new quilter and wow, is she hooked. I am helping her learn some techniques and she does beautiful work. We go shopping for fabric of course, but sometimes we get together for a stitch and bitch. We go out for lunch and then sit and sew all afternoon. We have a lot of fun.

I usually quilt alone. Not many of my friends quilt. If we get together - as others on this board have said - we don't get much more than conversation done.

I sew with a friend once a week. She is very good at it and has taught me a lot. We get a lot done.......much more than I get done alone.

community benefactor
    I like to quilt alone except once a Month I have joined a group of about 10 ladies,we come & go as we wish, it is a great way to learn new patterns & ideas.

Darlene Vogt, Fennimore Wi

I always quilt alone. I don't know anyone that even quilts. I thought about checking at my LQS because they have different things going on especially in the winter but I haven't done that yet. Maybe someday

Quote Originally Posted by annette1952
    I always quilt alone. I don't know anyone that even quilts. I thought about checking at my LQS because they have different things going on especially in the winter but I haven't done that yet. Maybe someday
    What is an LQS?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast