Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing alone or with friends?

Blog Entries
    On a day to day basis, I quilt alone. But a couple of times a year, my two sisters and I, who are all avid machine quilters, usually get together for a 3 - 5 day retreat, either an organized one, or a more informal one, to sew, sew, sew - until we drop. We challenge one another, give suggestions to one another, and because we're family, we don't feel like we have to entertain one another - we can just SEW. But cooking interesting meals is always a part of it, and watching chick flicks, and sharing some wine. We are also in a round robin with three other quilting friends, and get together with them every two months, but we don't sew the night we get together - we do "show and tell" of other stuff we've been working on, have a potluck meal, and pass our round robine bins on. In October, we'll be all finished with the quilts we have been passing along, and will have the great unveiling. That will be the first time in a whole year we will have seen the centre quilt block we each made , with 5 borders added!!! Life is good!!

I love to sew with friends...so this is what I do....I have 3 machines set up in my sewing room all the time and ready for them to come and sew...there is also room right outside my sewing room for more up to 4 in my dining room...so I put a dish in the crock pot and make a simple dessert the day before and they come over and we sew..once a week....its great fun...although one of my sewing buddies just moved to Texas this week and she will be missed...we sometimes work on the same types of projects but different patterns..sometimes one of us has learned a new technique so she will share that...remember its friendship and quilting..this week I might not get so much done cause I was helping someone else but next week it might be the same for them...its a give and take....we have a great time and its a definite help to get through the following week...anything I might have to do that takes great concentration I don't do that day..I do it alone..but thats ok too...blessings and if you need any great recipes for the crock pot sewing days...I have them...heheheh

I get more accomplished if I'm alone....AND no music or TV!!

I mostly sew alone, but prefer sewing/quilting with friends. So far I only have 2 sewing friends,and we sew once a week. I've met new ones on here that live close, so I hope to quilt with them soon. :)

I would love to quilting with someone but none of my friends quilt. so me and my little girl play and quilt in my sewing room. She is only 4, but I am trying to teach her to quilt like my grandmother did me. Not much luck yet but she is still young.

I have a group that comes over every Monday and works in my studio. We call ourselves the Creaky Knees because all of us seem to have or have had problems with our knees. After my friends leave, I usually quilt by myself the rest of the week. I enjoy my group of friends and enjoy my time alone!

I sew alone and with a group. I belong to a guild (not am official guild a just for fun one) and also we have a "Fun Night" 1x a month.We sew ,do small projects , anyone is welcome we have a draw for a small gift we pay $5.00 a night and have lots of fun and also share and learn from each other. Examples are quilted bags, hand embroidery, sweadish weaving ,small quilted ironing mats, to name a few .This fall we sre going to do a runner with 1/2 and 1/4 square triangles so everyone will learn the easy way of doing them and end up with a nice finished project.One of my sewing buddies moved away and sometimes we sew on the phone with each others directions it gets a little confusing but she doesn't like the computer that much, so thats what we do. I will admit I get a lot done sewing alone ,but I hate to miss all the personal interaction of being with others :) :) :)

I usually sew alone, but I do have some friends that meet in town on Wednesdays when we work on quilts for the military (Quilts of Valor). Sometimes we get side tracked and talk all morning. I do most of my own sewing alone where I'm not distracted.

I am lucky that my sister lives next door, and we have a group in the church.

I also have the option of sewing alone when I like.

I belong to a quilt guild that meets twice a month and 4 quilting bees that meet once a month and do a lock-in and sew once a month at LQS. I also have friends I get together with occasionally to sew. And I do 3 quilting retreats each year. Lots of fun! Being a widow, I enjoy getting out with other people.

My DS's MIL and I quilt together. I am in the process of cleaning my house up so we can get together again. Our sewing dates have been on hold for awhile but we both get more done when we sew together. Keeps me going and I keep her going. Anyone in the central Arkansas region is welcome to join us. Have lots of room and plenty of tables so all can have their own space.

I sew either way...but I prefer to sew with friends. JOIN American Sewing Guild, it is a wonderful organization and you will find lots of friends who like to get together and sew.

Margie

I sew alone...no one in neighborhood sews. All older than me, so I am teaching the youngest GD of 4 years old to be my sewing buddy. She has recently moved in with us along with her twin brother & mommy. Yes a full house, but all are safe...THAT is the main concern.
    Maria will have more time with me now to sew once we get things organized.

I go to a quilt retreat every April with friends from guild. I go to Quilt Odyssey at Hershey PA every July with my friend Katie. And some quilting friends and I rent a shore house in Ocean City NJ every September and we use the dining room as our sewing room all week long!

I find that I like to have simple sewing to do when i am with other people; nothing complicated, nothing fussy, nothing that I need to really concentrate on-- just nice simple straight sewing.

The rest of the year, I sew alone here, most mornings at the crack of dawn. I get up at around 5:30, let the dogs out, make the coffee, and start sewing. I save my difficult patterns or complicated techniques or anything new for these early solitary sewing sessions.

I get a few blocks made or a row sewn together before I have to face the real world. The real world for me is other people's quilts; I'm a longarm quilter. I just feel better when I have spent an hour sewing on my own project before I spend the day quilting on someone else's.

I prefer to sew alone...too much to keep track of and well you know...us friends have got to talk!
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

I sew by myself most of the time and sometimes have trouble getting started. But, in the summer I am able to get away from work about 3 separate extra long weekends when I go to my Mom's summer home. We sew from 7 am to 5 pm with a break for lunch. It is great fun and I get a lot done plus the bonus of spending time with my dear mom. She is 84 and still manages to teach me something new every time. In fact, I am there now! We have been sewing quilts since last thursday morning. I have to go home tomorrow and then back to work....

I usually sew alone, I don't have many friends that sew and if I do, they live too far away. My sewing room is to small to fit much more than myself and all my fabric... :mrgreen:

Lovely!

I have 2 friends coming over tomorrow to sew! One just had knee replacement so we will move everything upstairs and take over the dining room (which is quite large) so she won't have to tackle the steps. We are all going to work on the same pattern. It should be a fun day!

Blog Entries
    Dani that is a beautiful quilt.

Charismah,

It's nice to see someone from the same basic part of the state as me...I'm in Grandview.

I have had sewing sessions with my sister and niece however they live an hour away and are always busy so I usually sew alone with my son and hubby present....unless of course you count the cats who love to help me sew and press *LOL*

I also quilt alone except 2x's a year when I go to TX to visit my sister & she comes to MS to visit with me. We have a great time quilting & do get lots done. I would love to have someone to quilt with and even someone that want's to learn to quilt. If you know anyone in this area that want's to learn, tell them to call me. :)

I sew alone...except for all the sharing that is done on this Board. My DD is taking the first steps to get interested in quilting. She started borrowing some of my books and is trying hand quilting on a small project (she does amazing embroidery). She has an August birthday and I'm giving her some rulers, cutting mat, FQs, Yellow Brick Road pattern and a few other small items. But we'll seldom if ever get to sew together because she has a toddler and preschooler that are pretty demanding and she's also trying to complete her BA. But we can at least talk about projects!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JCL in FL
    Dani that is a beautiful quilt.
    Thanks, JCL. I appreciate your comment. It was really fun to do and what great opportunity to learn applique a little better. Dani

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast