Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sewing alone or with friends?

Quote Originally Posted by puck116
    I go to a quilting group on Thursday's and wouldn't give it up for anything. I stay until about 8pm. I stopped worrying about getting too much done because I go for the companionship. If I have something that really needs to get done I usually plan to do it at home.
    I quilt & sew alone (in FL.) None of my friends sew. Joined a few quilting classes at JoAnn when I first moved here to meet other quilters.Just wondering where in Fl & Ma you are from. I moved from Mass in 2001.

Don't let it bother you I think you are perfectly normal.
    There is a saying in Dutch (translated) "If you aren't Dutch, you aren't much". Goes for quilting to. Keep the pedal to the metal girl and the needle in the quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by angelanicole
    Don't let it bother you I think you are perfectly normal.
    There is a saying in Dutch (translated) "If you aren't Dutch, you aren't much". Goes for quilting to. Keep the pedal to the metal girl and the needle in the quilt.
    (This message is for earthwalker)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I don't have anyone to sew with, and my duplex is very small. God bless. Penny

Athough we usually sew, alone a couple of quilting friends and I actually started our own quilt retreat. We go away once in the Spring and once in the Fall for an extra long weekend to a resort in Northern Vermont. Fantastic location, far enough away from any distractions and we make sure we have everything we need before we go. We rent a 3 bedroom suite with a large living room and full kitchen. Each of us takes turns cooking the meals. It's amazing how much we get done, including some chatting along the way.

I mostly sew alone as I don't have any friends who sew or quilt, my sister only sews enough to patch :{~ but my Mom, MIL & several of my SILs sew and quilt. They all live at least 3 hours away though, so it's hard to get together with them to sew. We do talk a lot about quilting when we do get together and love to show off our latest projects. We have been getting together at my house the last couple years in March for a mini "quilt-a-thon" weekend while the guys reload bullets!!! They all came to my house last Aug. and we went on a bus trip of the MN Quilt Shop Hop last year in the northern metro area. We had so much fun that this year we are planning go to my MIL's and all ride in one of the SIL's vans on the northern MN section together the weekend of Aug. 7!!!

I usually sew by myself. My husband made me a wonderful sewing room, with lots of windows so I can see the birds when I am sewing. My cat keeps me company. She love to help me sew.

Except twice a year I go to a quilting retreat. 3 days of nothing but sewing with some of the nicest women I have ever met. What could be better, doing something I love, with the nicest women and someone else doing the cooking for you. You can see why I look forward to these weekends.

Blog Entries
    I am by myself. No one near to come over

I sew alone. I wish my quilting buddy lived closer so we could sew together but she lives 40 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by charismah
    I love sewing with people...however none of my close friends sew....so when we to gether they are scrapbooking while I am sewing up projects for them. LOl. So I usually sew by myself.
    This is the same in my case! All my friends scrapbook at retreats and I sew. At home, I sew by myself.

Quote Originally Posted by acesgame
    I prefer to sew with a friend. Keeps me on task but I have yet to make this work out. Most of my friends are so busy with family obligations that it is just not their season to spend time quilting. I have another friend who likes to come over and sew with me but it seems I am always having to help her with her project so much I don't get much of my own accomplished.
    I think I would enjoy sewing with a friend at times. I live near you in Sachse so maybe we could make a plan to trade off sewing at each others places. Send me a pm if you wa

Quote Originally Posted by acesgame
    I prefer to sew with a friend. Keeps me on task but I have yet to make this work out. Most of my friends are so busy with family obligations that it is just not their season to spend time quilting. I have another friend who likes to come over and sew with me but it seems I am always having to help her with her project so much I don't get much of my own accomplished.
    I think I would enjoy sewing with a friend at times. I live near you in Sachse so maybe we could make a plan to trade off sewing at each others places. Send me a pm if you wa

Sorry! I hit the send before I was finished. Send me a pm if you want to give it a try.
    Quilting D

When my frieds come over to sew we don't sew one lick we are too busy catching up lol.....I sew a lot by myself and get a lot done when I want to...I dont' mind.

A friend and I get together once a week to sew. I have a daughter who joins us when her schedule allows. It is great fun and we take turns providing lunch for each other.

Most of the time I sew alone. However, in March and October, I cut loose with friends and have a blast! March is the Smoky Mountain Quiltfest in Pigeon Forge TN. I met a friend there over 10-years ago and we still get together for a week of sewing fun. October is our quilt guilds Retreat. For three days, we meet at a lodge and eat, sew, eat sew, (you get the picture). If you want to visit, thats ok, if you want to sew, thats great, if you want to sleep the whole time, thats ok also. Very relaxed and informal. It makes the rest of the year ok, as long as I get to experience those two special times with friends and fabric.
    MeMeX8

I love going to quilt shops and shows with friends; but find I do better sewing alone. I am slow; and feel pressure in the presence of others, though it is not them that causes the problem. It is a mental thing that I deal with.
    Can anyone relate or am I just an odd duck???
    A few years ago, I met a couple of gals on a quilting forum similar to this one...and we became long-distance quilting buddies. The friendship with one of the gals has recently ended, both with myself and the other gal; and I miss the fun the 3 of us had both on the computer and the telephone over the years. Sad to see friendships have to end; as they mean alot. That gal is a member on here, so it saddens my heart to see her name and posts...knowing that we are no longer in touch.
    My nearest quilting buddy lives about 45 mins. from here. We go to Material Girls once a month at a local quiltshop, where we sew on our own projects, eat a great meal put on by the shop owner, have show n' tell, and sometimes do a project chosen by the owner if we chose. That is where my stress comes in, as I see others almost done while I am just slowly moving along.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaw
    I love going to quilt shops and shows with friends; but find I do better sewing alone. I am slow; and feel pressure in the presence of others, though it is not them that causes the problem. It is a mental thing that I deal with.
    Can anyone relate or am I just an odd duck???
    A few years ago, I met a couple of gals on a quilting forum similar to this one...and we became long-distance quilting buddies. The friendship with one of the gals has recently ended, both with myself and the other gal; and I miss the fun the 3 of us had both on the computer and the telephone over the years. Sad to see friendships have to end; as they mean alot. That gal is a member on here, so it saddens my heart to see her name and posts...knowing that we are no longer in touch.
    My nearest quilting buddy lives about 45 mins. from here. We go to Material Girls once a month at a local quiltshop, where we sew on our own projects, eat a great meal put on by the shop owner, have show n' tell, and sometimes do a project chosen by the owner if we chose. That is where my stress comes in, as I see others almost done while I am just slowly moving along.
    There is a gal that is in my quilting group. We all laugh and joke with her about how much she has to rip out and redo. But she shuts us up as soon as the project is done. She does absolutely beautiful work! Everyone ooohs and aaahs. Clearly, she has her eye on the final product, not the time clock! I'm sure because you take your time, your work is lovely and well worth every second it takes you.

I laughed so hard thinking that sounds like me! I am finally retired and just learning quilting, have even my own beautiful room just for me to do it in, but I just talk all day long, no body listens...but then I don't think they do with everyone around...so cute we are huh? I have to admit, I love this time of being alone and no telephones ringing all the time...

I also sew alone. I don't have any friends that sew or quilt. I get that fix from this board. I'd love to have quilting friends to get together with every now and then, but... I'm no magician, lol. So, I talk to myself, listen to music and occasionally my dog will join me. So, if you think about it, none of us are really alone. There's always at least three of us in the room. "Me, Myself, & I". LOL!!

I sew alone.One friend says she doesn't do thread. Another has huge embroidiery machines and just does that.Some times I go to the sewing circle at theCOUNTY EXTENSION OFFICE.AND SEW WITH A BUNCH OF LADIES .The instructors are great and so are the other sewers. It is from 3-8 ix month they even feed us supper.It is great if your having a problem or a question.This is where my quilting got started back.

Blog Entries
    I kinda wish I had someone to sew with just once in awhile.
    I am always alone so it would be nice to have some conversation.
    Anyone near Pittsburgh/Monroeville PA and gets bored one day PM me I am always home :D
    I dont drive or I would maybe go to one of those sewing days at the LQS. So oh well my cat talks back to me lol I swear he does

Four of us get together at least once a month for an all day sit-n-sew. We each bring a project all cut and ready for a day of power sewing. It's great to relax and converse without the kids, dogs, or husbands breaking our concentration.

I sew in a group and was sewing a frame around some quilt blocks. We sew for 4 hours and I got 9 frames finished. At home I was sewing the frames and got 15 down in about an hour. I didn't realize how much we visited when sewing.

Many of us work the hours others are available to sew with, so I started a group through my church called "Creative Conversations". Though we only meet once a month in the evening from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m., we each bring along our handiwork and join together for some stimulating conversation and can learn from one another as well. It's turned out to be a great group, averages from 6 to 18 gals each time and we even joined Warm Up America and crocheted/knitted 9x7" blocks to assemble and have made over 80 afghans that we donate to those who need the warmth whether at dialysis centers or individuals on the street. It's become a really positive force and we have even created an anniversary quilt for our church's 75th year. It's one way to get some time with the gals whether we're doing all the same thing or varied projects.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast