Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing alone or with friends?

Blog Entries
    I sew alone most of the time too. A few years ago, several us of gals that met at a seminar at our dealer, started a *sew inn* 2x a month at our dealers. I haven't been able to go but just a few times since last fall and I really miss it.
    I do get more accomplished at home sewing alone but I really do enjoy the comraderie.

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I would love to quilt with my friends. Problem is, I am the only one with enough room to have others come, but live the farthest making it difficult for them to come.

So until someone moves...I will be alone.

Blog Entries
    Anna LQS means local quilt shop......I sew alone as I tend to get more done. I have a dear friend who keeps inviting me but because of prior commitment on that day I haven't been able to make it. If I get together with others I tend to be chatty cathy...

Blog Entries
    Always like to sew with someone, but no one around here to sew with. Boo hoo.

I've never had anyone to sew with. I always thought it would be fun. My friends don't quilt. I talk to myself a lot if that counts.

I have a friend that lives 20 miles away and she will come and spend the night and we sew and sew. Usually my cutting table remains up and ready to go in the living room and we put out featherweights on the kitchen table and have a great time. For the past several yrs she has come to my house on New yrs eve and we sew all day new years day. I am a widow and she is divorced so this is our way of bringing in the new year. One New years day a couple of other friends joined us and we had gals and machines on card tables in the living room too. Would have to say I sew more alone-but sure enjoy when friends can join me.

my answer has been a quilt retreat. love it. and I only take my UFO's none of my Ronald McDonald House quilts that I made for house children in Cincinnati

I sew with friends - our LQS has mini retreats once a month which provide a great time to get together and get a lot done -

I, too like to sew with others, but it's hard to do when one has to be transporting machine and fabrics. I am in a group that meets at my church on some Fridays to make comfort quilts for our hospital special care nursery, but not in the summer.

Blog Entries
    i sew alone on wednesdays. dh fixes dinner that night and i get the whole evening to myself. once in a while my youngest daughter comes home for a weekend of sewing and i enjoy our time together.

I much prefer to sew with others! I usually go to a sit and sew every Wednesday. Would like to have more sew days like that, I get more done that way! And I like the comraderie. :)

Blog Entries
    I sew alone, except for 19 mo old GGS, he hasn't learned to thread the machine yet! My best friend just went back to work bur there is a sit and sew at a LQS where I go on most Wednesdays. Not going thru the summer, to many other things get in the way. My BFF and I do talk on the phone 2 or 3 times a day, however.

Power Poster
    I belong to a quilting group that meets at one of the local elementry schools once a week for about 32 weeks out of the year. When I can afford it I join most of the time otherwise I quilt alone.

I love to sew with friends. If I am alone I get sidetracked too easily. I have a few friends that sew together about twice a month. I always look forward to those days.

tmg
    I sew alone. Don't know many people that sew. The ones I do know are at work or with family when I'm sewing.

I like to sew alone but I love my bee. We meet weekly and start with a gab session over coffee and treats. Our ages and our skills vary (6 in all), but each time I get inspiration, tips and friendship. We have a unique plan. We meet at a member's home for 4 weeks in a row. We do what the hostess wants, often sewing blocks or finishing a project, but we have learned paper piecing and redwork and occasionally sit around a quilting frame. We have an older member who loves to do the pressing and a couple who are great at cutting and binding. Sometimes we have a bring-your-own project or work on a community service quilt.

One of my quilting friends is a teacher and she lives about 8 miles out of town. So we try to get together at my house once a week in the summer. Yes, sometimes we talk more than quilt but that's OK. Most of the time I sew alone with my music blaring & me singing and dancing with no one to watch me!

Hi Acesgame,
    Where is Murphy, TX? I'm in Crowley and was just wondering.
    In answer to the thread about sewing alone, my preference is
    to sew with someone, but right now I have lost that option.
    My longtime quilting friend is out of town a lot, and even though
    we used to sew together regularly, since she is gone so much,
    we aren't able to do that anymore. I was in a quilt group that
    met once a week, but that is now gone.

I had an online quilt shop for a while, and I am also a pattern
    designer. All of that kind of got me out of the loop with
    my quilting friends, because all my time was spent running
    my business and designing for a fabric manufacturer. But I no
    longer have the business, and I'm not designing professionally
    right now, so I long to regain one or more friends that would like
    to get together at least once a week and sew. I really miss
    the fellowship we used to have. I'm a people person and just
    like to be able to share my quilting time with someone else.

If I have a project I really want to concentrate on or spread out, I prefer working alone. If I'm doing something like log cabin or D9P, I can work and chat at the same time.

The quilters' comments so far make we wonder if you are in a quilt group or a quilt guild. That's a great way to meet quilting friends who would love to sew with you. But I find the best way for me to sew with others is my guild's mini-retreats. We meet at a church every other month and each pay $10 per day to cover the cost of renting the church. We quilt starting Thursday night and end Saturday night. We go home to sleep. Some of us bring food to share and others go out to eat. We have lots of tables and space, and the fellowship is great. I get more done there than anyplace else. I also do a 4-day mini-retreat in a fire station community room once a year. I charge $5 per day per person to donate to the station. Same deal with food and sleeping. Quilters come for all or part of these mini-retreats, depending on their free time. You set your machine up on Day 1 and leave it up until you end your retreat. Attend for as much or as little time as you choose. My sister-in-law even comes down from Massachusetts for the 4-day retreats. Have fun, everyone! It's addictive!

I have belonged to a guild in the past, but it is huge and kind of hard to get in a small bee. Like I said, I kind of lost touch when I had my business because of the time involved in running it, but am ready to really find a group again. I, too, used to have a group where we got together once a week and made quilts and it was great. We also had little retreats, and sometimes go together on a Friday night and spent the night at the church to sew all night if we wanted too. That group is no longer available, so in many ways I am back to square one.

When I was in NC we had a group of seven who got together twice a month. Once was just for lunch and the other to sew and then lunch. I miss it! Up here, I sew alone or with my daughter.

Blog Entries
    I go to a quilting group on Thursday's and wouldn't give it up for anything. I stay until about 8pm. I stopped worrying about getting too much done because I go for the companionship. If I have something that really needs to get done I usually plan to do it at home.

I am so lucky, about 3 or 4 years ago there was an ad in the Pennysaver about a quilting ministry that was starting in my town. I answered the ad and found sewing sisters. Although it is a church ministry, it's not my church, but that doesn't matter...we are working towards a common goal. We get together on the 1st and 3rd Sunday afternoons for 3 hours and sew quilts that we give to a hospital pediatric ward and a battered women's shelter, and a church ministry assisting young mothers with baby layettes. It is wonderful. Between weeks, I design and sew quilts for the ministry....but it's the afternoons with the girls that I cherish the most.

I have always sewn alone, I can get more done, and Im not distracted. At one of the LQS, they told me there is a sit n sew on Tues. am's, but I cant see me doing it in the winter. Maybe I will try it once......or twice!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast