Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine jamming after about 20 stitches. >

Sewing machine jamming after about 20 stitches.

Sewing machine jamming after about 20 stitches.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:12 PM

Default Sewing machine jamming after about 20 stitches.

I have a singer 4411. Im a newbie and dont know all there is about sewing. I have had this machine for under 12 months. Singer refused to warranty it and said return it to the retailer i purchased it at and buy another. Unfortunately first impressions of singer is horrible. And i wont buy another singer. Out of the box it was out of time, breaking needles, and jamming. I fixed the timing issue. But the jamming still is a issue. The jamming destoryed 3 bobbin cases beyond use. My top thread keeps jamming ontop of the bobbin case and shifting the bobbin case180°.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Power Poster

Hi and welcome to the board. Sorry about your issues, Singer machines are definitely not what they used to be but you have already found that out. It is possible the machine may still not be timed correctly and you may have damaged the hook with all the jams and broken needles.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:54 PM

I know it says that it's a "Heavy Duty" machine, but it isn't. You can't sew heavy fabrics on a Singer with a plastic bobbin basket. You can't use a heavy thread on that machine, either. Even piecing a quilt is a stretch for that machine. They jam. That's what they do best.

You'd be better off replacing it with an old, metal Kenmore with a front-loading oscillating hook (serial numbers starting with 158 are my favorites). Get one with built-in stitches, not with cams. Look for a standard low shank presser foot, not a super high shank. I can usually find them at the thrift store for less than $30. Here's what they look like on Google Images: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...mg.3n15-ThIdOI

Don't put any more effort into that machine. Use a vintage Kenmore until you can save up for a better machine.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:12 PM

Just curious. Why, after all your struggles and Singer's response to you, haven't you returned it to the retailer yet? Why keep flogging a dead horse?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Come on over to the Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts forum and do some research. The old machines are study and reliable.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Just curious. Why, after all your struggles and Singer's response to you, haven't you returned it to the retailer yet? Why keep flogging a dead horse?
I wondered this. I had the same type of issue with a mid-price brother machine being awful and the advice is always return to the retailer. So after doing this a few times I bought a new (upgraded) Janome machine. I will never touch brother again now. The purpose of the warranty is to protect you against things like this so make use of it.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:20 AM

My 3 old Singers (with metal parts) are workhorses. Newest is from 1970’s. Old machines are on Craig’s List often.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:39 AM

I agree to ditch the Singer and get a 1970's Kenmore of the 158 series. Mine is my every-day machine and I take it for a checkup every couple of years. I see them on Craigslist for under $100 almost every week.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I would buy a Brother machine and return that Singer. Not everyone likes the old machines.

Welcome from Missouri.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:07 PM

I bought a singer 5511. I had problems with it jamming also. I found that if a needle breaks there is a piece of needle stuck under the bobbin case. I also found that if your bobbin is not sitting in correctly it will cause it to jam. What i mean is if you drop your bobbin in to where your thread is going counter clockwise then have the thread hook onto the latch. That will solve your problem. Or it could be that your thread is not in the tension guide on top. The space between the top hook by the thread holder and the hook before the needle. That will cause it to jam. So far I am happy with my singer 5511. I actually can sew heavy duty fabric with it. I can sew up to half inch thick leather with it with no problems. I've had mine now for 11 years and is still going strong. Hope you solve the problem.