Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine question???? >

Sewing machine question????

Sewing machine question????

Old 06-10-2011, 01:20 PM

I started quilting about 5 years ago..When I got started my mom bought me a new sewing machine..Nothing expensive it came for Target and was less than $200 It's a Brother XL - 5600..Like I said nothing expensive and it has been an okay machine and served it purpose..and really there isn't anything wrong with it BUT I am thinking of buying another machine..
although I would love to buy a big expensive machine and a long arm quilting machine those are NOT in the budget with 3 teenagers (maybe someday)
for what I want now I would love a machine that the feed dogs drop instead of having to put that plate over them. I want something that will hold up well.
The thing is that for me to buy another machine right now it would have to be an inexpensive model I was thinking $200 but might b e able to go a little higher if I hold out and save up a little longer

Can anyone suggested a good inexpensive option I can check into...

I do have a treadle machine and hope to buy a featherweight some day if I find a good deal on one..

I have thought of buying a used machine and maybe even one that needs fixed but just not sure what the best way to go will be

thanks
Old 06-10-2011, 01:23 PM

I have the Brother SQ9000 and love it. $198 at WalMart. Feed dogs go down, it comes with walking foot, and FMQ foot as well as many stitchs and an extension plate for quilting. Check it out. It may be the one for you.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 PM

You may go to a shop that sells brother machines and see what they would give you for a trade in credit towards something new. Otherwise, I would look for a used vintage machine like a Singer 400 or 500. They last forever, can do your own servicing and they have capability of doing decrotive stitches. You should be able to find one under $200.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Remember many LQS's have pre-owned machines they will sell at a good price. You might even get them to lower the price a bit or add in free service. That way you really can get more than what you paid for.

I was just with a group of quilters and they sold their older machines themselves online so they could upgrade.

Hope this helps,
ali
Old 06-10-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Parrothead
I have the Brother SQ9000 and love it. $198 at WalMart. Feed dogs go down, it comes with walking foot, and FMQ foot as well as many stitchs and an extension plate for quilting. Check it out. It may be the one for you.
I agree. I have this same machine, and it's my 3rd Brother. I have upgraded each time, and still didn't spend over $200. I am happy with it, and will keep this one for a while.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:18 PM

I want to do a compare on a couple of machines. I had a 401A purchased in 1958. It was a work horse, sewed thousands of hours on and everything imaginable (and some not probably). It was too large to bring with us as it was in a cabinet and I no longer had the bottom cover. I have had several machines since then and now have the SQ9000. I would not go back to the 401A. The 9000 does so many things and so easy to go from one stitch to another. It quilts, sews, has a ton of decorative stitches, makes buttonholes, sews on buttons and all with ease. I use the stop/start button instead of the foot pedal which allows me to sew for longer periods of time. And while I can still thread the needle, I am sure as I get older, I will like the needle threader. JMHO