Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machine Surprise!

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    Is she staying with you ? Put it on the bed with a big bow around it !

Blog Entries
    Do you ever exchange gifts at Christmas and B-Days? If so, how soon is the B-Day? You could use the suggestions of dsb38327 and twinkies about trying out the machine. Then after she lets you know how well she likes it, tell her it is an early b-day gift and you just couldn't wait, or didn't want to ship it. I think maybe making a friendship ten minute block wall hanging or lap quilt for each of you would be just great. Or how about both making a sewing machine cover, for each machine, with the name of the machine on the covers, since most on here name their machines, or just your own names, and when time do do the names, tell her the Lily didn't have and name yet and tell her you wanted her to name that machine, and let her sew that name on the cover, then when she finished, let her know that the Lily needed to go to a new home, hers. What a great friend you are and she must be also. Enjoy your weekend and your special friendship.

I liked the envelope idea a lot. and wrap it with pretty wrapping paper.

Quote Originally Posted by so-sew
    I thought about making her a pincushion that looks something like a water lily and then giving it to her as a gift. After opening it, I could say "Oh, wait a minute. There is a second part to this lily present." Then I could bring it out.

Otherwise, I thought about setting it on my sewing table with a big wrapped box over it and then lifting off the box saying "Surprise!" I have the original packaging so I could just wrap it too.

Keep the ideas coming. I love them! You are all so creative.

Oh I love this idea, very cute

I would just set it up and get out a project for the two of you to work on and tell she can use that machine after she sews a bit then ask her how she likes her new machine.

I would wrap the box or machine with a piece of fabric!! And as someone else said maybe a pattern for a tablerunner or wall hanging! You are the kind of friend everyone would love to have!! Be sure to have your camera handy when you give it to her!! And have fun together!

Oh, how exciting. I don't know how you can wait. LOL You are a TRUE FRIEND. (I wanted you to hear that, that's why I yelled)

I love this idea, simple and not over the top...just says " I love you"
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter41
    I would set both machines up, maybe on the Dining Room table
    like you are goin to sew together and when she ask where you got the machine say why someone left this here for you.

I have a Lily and wouldn't part with it for the world. Great machines. I have a newer Viking, but always sit down at the Lily.

Take a picture for us.

What a wonderful friend you are. Your friend should be so happy. Aren't we also happy when we do something for others?
    Let us know about her reaction.
    Do you have a large ice chest? You could put the machine in that, then offer her a cold drink, tell her that your fridge is not keeping things cold. Have her get her own. Enclose with a card from you.
    Just thought this might be fun.

How about having it set up in her room with a big red bow and a note telling her that this machine needs a new home and I thought you might like to take it home. Jan

Many people are uncomfortable using someone else's more expensive machine than their own. It might be kinder to just hand her a note saying something like: "Just because I love you friend - enjoy." That way she knows it's hers and she won't ever be uncomfortable with it. I know this because I recently had a very, very old friend of mine use my Janome 11000MC and she was super uncomfortable with it because she knew it wasn't a cheap machine. However, I wanted her to have the ability to learn to quilt and to sew again so got her the Janome DC1050 and she loves it cause it's hers.

Power Poster
    I like the ideas you already have. Have fun.

Oh what a wonderful friend you are. How exciting. I would love to be a fly on the wall when you give it to her.

i love suprises.. I like to wait until the end though.. when i gift something I love to see the looks i get when I act giddy.. all my friends think i am nutso! if you can pull it off.. I would get her car loaded up to go and then say.. "oh, you forgot a box" and then give her a plain box with the other box inside.. or do the opposite.. have it in the sewing room inside a plain box... ask if it is hers.. when she says no.. ask her to open the box and let you know whats inside.. while you run to the "bathroom" or something..

Blog Entries
    Ok, I can't remember, when is she coming?

Marie M.

She is coming in ONE WEEK!!! I'm so excited! I still don't know for sure how I'll present it to her. I do know I'm too antsy to wait until the end of her visit to give it to her. I'm even going to have a hard time playing it cool for the couple hours it takes for us to finish our catching up and move onto other things...like surprises!

I would have it set up for where she normally sews while at your house. When she sits down and uses it...ask her how she likes it and when she answers you, tell that's good, I'm glad you like it, because it's yours.
    Enjoy!!!!!!

I like the suggestions that you let her think that the machine is an extra one of yours, and then give it to her. You are a GOOD friend and she will be so surprised. Looking forward to the pictures.
    Sue

I would like to see it at her bed side with maybe a kit and a card, and put the mechine on the bed with a baloon and ribon on it.

Blog Entries
    so-sew, checking in for updates. I checked your list and you have not made any updates for a few days. Hoping this is an indication your friend is visiting and your days are wonderful.
    We will be excited to hear about the visit and the gifting of the machine.

Ditto on what dsb38327 said. You are a kind and loving friend too.

Hello, quilters. Here is a photo of me behind my dear friend and her "newish" Lily. She was so incredibly grateful and reduced to tears many times this weekend. She said that she had just recently said to her husband that someday when they retire, she would like a better sewing machine so she can actually put out something of quality. She is only 35, so that tells you she hadn't expected a new machine for many MANY years. Both her and her husband are teachers here in Wisconsin where there have been radical changes made by our state politicians in the last couple weeks to the many public service jobs in our state. Her and her husband are expecting rough times ahead and this joy was a very welcomed distraction from the stress and anxiety she has been dealing with lately.

She came Thursday night around 9:00, so it was too late to give her Lily then. I tossed and turned all night waiting for morning. After the kids went to school and we had quiet time, I took her to my sewing loft and told her she needed to meet Lily. I said "She's so important, there is a book written about her." ( I meant the manual of course.) She was really confused by that, and a little nervous. I took the cover off Lily and told her "This is what you will be sewing on." She said "Oh, my goodness. I'll probably break it, I'm so used to my junker." I told her she had plenty of time to figure her out because Lily was going home with her. Then I handed her the owner's manual with a bow on it. She was FLOORED. She thanked me a million times over and hugged me time and again, all teary. It was so touching. The next two days she spent many hours learning about and LOVING Lily. Everytime she tried something new (a new stitch, bobbin winding, etc.), she would say "Oh, my gosh!" and I would be scared something wasn't right. Then she would quickly follow it with "Lily I love YOU! I've never seen such a beautiful (fill in the blank)."

This has been an experience I will cherish all my life. Thank you all for sharing it with me and providing your best ideas for ways to surprise my dear friend with Lily. Many many of you have said I have a giving heart, but I know you do to. I can tell from the genuine excitement you've exuded in your replies while following this story. Blessings to you all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh, Thank you for filling us in. You are so lucky to be such good friends. Just think! Everytime she sews on Lily, she will think about you and what a great and giving friend you are. I am sure the look in her eyes were all the excitment you would have ever expected. Thanks for sharing this adventure with all your friends on QB....Have a great day!!!

This is awesome. When I look at your picture it makes me feel good. Isee two beautiful ladies with beautiful smiles and hearts. GOD HAS BLESSED YOU BOTH BY GIVING YOU EACH OTHER.

Thanks for teling us the ending of yur great story. What a sweet thing you did. Love the photo. You two have a friendship to be cherished. Thanks again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast