Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine tables >

Sewing machine tables

Sewing machine tables

Old 10-14-2012, 05:48 AM

I would like to see pictures of some of these tables.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 AM

I would check resale shops in your area. Older tables are well made and sturdier than most new tables, unless you pay a small fortune for it. No way would I pay $500-$800 for a table.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 AM

I also bought the Sauder sewing cart through Walmart. I am in the process of putting it together, but can't find my Philips screw driver. The directions are very thorough and clear. Before starting, I separated all the nails, screws, etc into individual baggies (snack size) and it helped make sure I had the right count of each item according to the instructions. The extension top clearly states it is not for cutting use, probably because it only is attached to the cart with hinges and not sturdy enough.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:41 AM

For me, height is the important thing, if it is to short or to tall, you get bad shoulder and neck pain when sewing. Check out the height of any table before buying, also stbiolity is important. No wobbling.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:56 AM

I bought a table from Walmart that I had to put together. It is very stable and doesn't vibrate when I sew, but it is sitting on a rug in a bedroom. I was VERY, VERY limited with space so this table folds and I can store the machine underneath it. It has storage in the door that hides the machine underneath and a door that hides 3 shelves. I love it and am very happy. It is definitely not a large surface so I have a folding cutting table from Joann's to cut fabric on. When I am sewing a large quilt it is not laying flat except where I am sewing. It serves the purpose for a cost that you are looking for. I would love to have a Koala table, but I don't have the room or the money.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
For me, height is the important thing, if it is to short or to tall, you get bad shoulder and neck pain when sewing. Check out the height of any table before buying, also stbiolity is important. No wobbling.
I solved this problem with a desk chair that has adjusts to a height that works perfectly with my table.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 AM

Default Sewing Machine tables

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I bought my table from Walmart for $199 and it is just like the $500-$800 kind. Exactly, except I had to put it together. I love it. It is very sturdy. I made sure of that when I put it together. It has a side flap that holds open with a door. I use that. It has a door with 3 shelves. I use those all. It has three rows of shelves on the door that holds the side up. They have cubby holes and I love those. I keep all kinds of things in them. I looked at the expensive ones first and couldn't afford them, so I went with Walmart's and am happy with it. It's perfect for me. Doesn't wabble or move. Very sturdy. You'll be happy with it.
I have sewing tables custom made by Tracey's Tables, expensive, but real good. Also have a SewEz table, inserts for a couple of my machines, not expensive, do enjoy, take to classes. Also have a Walmart Sauder table/cabinet in our winter home, lots of storage, not expensive.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 AM

My daughter bought me the Sauder one from Walmart about 7 years ago. I love it. My machine Janome 6500 does not sit flush but the machine has an extention table. I love the stroage and the fact that the top is held open with the door which gives me more room. I have quilted on it and the excess of the quilt can be nicely rolled up and it stays on the extra part of the table top. I would love to have a recess cut into it but have decided not too. I also of course love the Janome Table that fits my machine and the other fold away table they are talking about on the board but at the time I was a bit short on the cash. But my dd gave me a great Christmas present when she got Walmart cabinet for me. I love it.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 AM

My table has the recessed feature, but every time I need to change bobbin thread, I have to lift the whole machine out of the table. As I get older, that's not gonna work! For right now, it's just a nuisance.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Got mine off Craig's list and I was in the same boat .. LOTS of monies for a piece of furniture. When I found mine on Craigslist I was in heaven ... Hubby is taking one of the doors off it and extending the table so I can do quilts when I want to and its moveable ...