Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine tables >

Sewing machine tables

Sewing machine tables

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
My table has the recessed feature, but every time I need to change bobbin thread, I have to lift the whole machine out of the table. As I get older, that's not gonna work! For right now, it's just a nuisance.
It sounds like mine. Is there a board across the front? I had my husband cut a hole through it for my knee lift, and I think he could cut another opening to get to the bobbin area.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:17 PM

I bought one at WalMart and they put it together for me at no cost! Its a good table and quite sturdy. Have used it for several years and really like it. When I bought mine I got it on sale for $89, that's how long its been.

delma
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be in the market for a new table soon and have been looking around and pricing. This thread certainly has helped!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Dee

I have the Sauder sewing cabinet from Walmart for several years and love it. Bought a craft center from Joann's for 199.00 and love it. Has locking casters and doesn't move. I have been very happy with both items.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:13 PM

I got a Sauder (like the Walmart one) sewing cabinet off of CL for my daughter and paid only $45 for it. She's just beginning to sew and she needed a cabinet for the sewing machine I got her for her birthday. It's nice and sturdy and I didn't even have to put it together.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
Yes, I would love to hear from you as to how you like the Sauder sewing table and how difficult it was to assemble.
It's all together and i used it this weekend. LOVE IT !!! It was really quite easy to assemble - and is very sturdy. Love the cubby on the side - i can just put my current work on the shelves and close it up at night....which keeps me from having to move everything back to my sewing room to keep the kitties from getting into things. The fact that the machine sits on top (not recessed) doesn't bother me cuz i've always had mine sitting on a table top. I think you will be very happy with it - as you have seen that other posters have had theirs for years. Good luck !!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by matraina View Post
I would like to see pictures of some of these tables.
You can see mine here...more pics on page 5

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...on-t76568.html
Old 10-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
My table has the recessed feature, but every time I need to change bobbin thread, I have to lift the whole machine out of the table. As I get older, that's not gonna work! For right now, it's just a nuisance.
My husband cut the hole for my machine so I could leave the hinges on and attach it. I can lean it back just like it was in a cabinet. It works very well.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM

Haven't read all the posts but I bought one of the tables from Wal Mart - put it together myself. Very pleased with it. Sturdy, lots of storage space. Keep one machine on top and one underneath. Good value for the money.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
In terms of purchasing something to use with a sewing machine, stability is the #1 priority for me. It's not nice to sew on a table that shakes, rattles and rolls with your machine!

#2 priority is a flat working space. This is relatively easily (and inexpensively) achieved by creating a styrofoam surround for your machine. See these Youtube videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...ure=plpp_video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25...ure=plpp_video
This is what my Dh made for me and it is great. It can be removed for storage is wanted. He also took an old table and cut the legs off to lower the height so it is comfortable for me. Also use an adjustable office chair with wheels and no arms. Still need to get up andf stretch once in a while.