Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines with stitch regulators? >

Sewing Machines with stitch regulators?

Sewing Machines with stitch regulators?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by nursie76
My first Bernina, a 440QE had a BSR and that is what convinced me to buy her AND to attempt FMQ ing. I now have the 730 which also has the BSR and I use it whenever I FMQ. I also have a Juki on a frame and it has a Cruise control (stitch regulator). Some say it is like training wheels, so perhaps someday I will be good enough to FMQ without a stitch regulator, but for now, without one, I wouldn't do any FMQ ing.

Perhaps you could get a good deal on a gently used model Bernina at a dealers and then use it to trade up in time. They really hold their value. Also, if you are looking to get the machine in 2011, look for a quilt show in your area, you can get some great deals on almost new machines used for demo at the show. Good luck for whatever you decide.
This is really good advice. Nursie might have kept her 440QE (?), but there are plenty who trade it in to upgrade.

I'd check out the local Bernina dealers, and also look online (eBay) to see some prices (you might need to sign in):
Current listings:
http://crafts.shop.ebay.com/Sewing-F...=p3286.c0.m282

Completed listings:
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Sewin...c0.m283&_rdc=1

Obviously, the different attachments included with each machine will affect the prices.

But it's a starting point.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 AM

I have a Bernina 630 with a stitch regulator. I love the stitch regulator, and the Bernina...well, she's like a good friend!
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by LeeAnn
I love my Bernina 440QE. It's the best by far.
Me too.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
RST

The only domestic machines that have a stitch regulators are Berninas. I love mine. And you rarely run into someone who doesn't love their Bernina.

To me, using the BSR was pretty intuitive, but I know some people who really did not like it -- until they took the classes and learned how to use it correctly.

There are several different user options w/ the stitch regulator -- mode, feet, access method, and if you are not liking one setup, you may well prefer another. I started out using the big clear plastic foot and the hand motion mode, but after learning more, I find I prefer mode 1, the open toe foot, and using the foot pedal. It just depends on your personal preferences.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 AM

I bought my Bernina 440QE just because of the stitch regulator. I tried to FMQ w/o one and my stitches were all different lengths. The stitch regulator makes it so much easier. I love mine.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by mjorgenson
Woldn't spent\d the excessive money for a machine that has one. There are generic ones available for most machines. The best thing is to take a few classes from different people and not rely on training wheels. Just relax and have fun with it
A generic stitch regulator? But how do they fit onto the machines? They would have to be plugged in somehow to the electronics of the machine and I've never heard of machines normally having provision for that...not the one's I've had anyway (Janomes) and I haven't heard other brands mention it either.

Are you thinking of a walking foot mechanism pehaps?
Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 PM

the stitch regulator also has an open toe foot you may need a class at your Bernina dealer as they really do work great but most all of the new machines that does everything does have free classes on understanding your machine and I really recommend them
Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM

Best friend has the Bernina with BSR and never uses it. She is a great quilter. I have the brother innovis 4000D and she admitts mine does more than hers. Be sure you check how much room you have for the quilt. mine is 9 inches another friend has a machine that is 12 inches. So it took me a year before I decided. But then I did want one that was embroidery also
Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM

I have the Bernina 440 also, I bought this machine probably 5 years ago when BSR first came out - just had to have it. I love this machine and could never part with it. the BSR is good, it is not a foolproof method for great FMQ though, you still need to practice practice practice. I'll FMW smaller items, but for my larger items I still rely on my favorite long arm person.

Good luck in your search!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 PM

If there is such a thing as a quilting machine fairy I wish she would bring me the Berina 440 QE. If anyone meets the machine fairy be sure to ask her if she would stop by to see me. Thank you so much in advance...LOL

Andie :D :D :D