Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Machines with stitch regulators? >

Sewing Machines with stitch regulators?

Sewing Machines with stitch regulators?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 PM

Love my Bernina 730. Lots of Berninas have the BSR (Bernina Stitch Regulator) but not some of the lower price point models, so check before you buy. "Previously loved" Berninas are a great deal!
Old 12-22-2010, 05:12 AM

As per above Viking has a stitch regulator but you purchase it separate...But another reason to look at Husqvarna Viking's are their Sensor Foot...Makes privoting a dream, no handle in the back of the machine to life. you just life your foot off the petal...I can't live without it and I wouldn't purchase any other brand of machine
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 AM

I have a Bernina 630 with a stitch regulator and do use it. However, I learned to do free motion long before I got the machine with the stitch regulator, so at time I find that it slows me down because I can actually outrun the regulator. If you are new to free motion quilting you will love it, because it will help your stitches to be more the same size. It still requires practice, practice, practice, but if you really want to machine quilt, or any other skill for that matter, what doesn't take practice or a learning curve. Just because we are adults we sometimes think that we should learn to do thinkgs much faster. Only wish that were true. :) Having said all that, I would go for a Bernina, hands down, no second thoughts!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM

On my Brother 940D you have a choice of stitching with the regulator that regulates how fast the machine sews, irregardless of how much you push the pedal down. I turned mine off, so if I want to sew faster I push the pedal down more. When I am sewing a straight line, I can keep the momentum up and stitched faster and just as accurate. I have been sewing for years, and finally got my 3rd sewing, since I have had my other 2 since the early 1970's. This machine has a needle up down feature, embroiders with its 4" hoop and I can now print someones name with 6 different build in lettering styles, both in capital and smaller case letters...Very cool.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks for that comment. I've heard great things about that machine.
Originally Posted by LeeAnn
I love my Bernina 440QE. It's the best by far.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The only two companies that I know that have the stitch regular is Bernina and Viking.
I have a Pfaff 1200 Grandquilter with a stitch regulator. I tried FM quilting on my Bernina 830 but the Grandquilter is much more smooth! I'll save the Bernina for piecing!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
The only two companies that I know that have the stitch regular is Bernina and Viking.
I have a Pfaff 1200 Grandquilter with a stitch regulator. I tried FM quilting on my Bernina 830 but the Grandquilter is much more smooth! I'll save the Bernina for piecing!

I forgot to mention that it is on a quilting frame...
Old 12-23-2010, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah2009
On my Brother 940D you have a choice of stitching with the regulator that regulates how fast the machine sews, irregardless of how much you push the pedal down. I turned mine off, so if I want to sew faster I push the pedal down more. When I am sewing a straight line, I can keep the momentum up and stitched faster and just as accurate. I have been sewing for years, and finally got my 3rd sewing, since I have had my other 2 since the early 1970's. This machine has a needle up down feature, embroiders with its 4" hoop and I can now print someones name with 6 different build in lettering styles, both in capital and smaller case letters...Very cool.
Isn't that a variable speed control? My Horizon has that too, but it doesn't have a stitch regulator. Different to the stitch regulators they're talking about here I think
Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 PM

I want to thank everyone for your comments, they are very, very helpful. I should have mentioned that I have a Viking and I absolutely love it, it has "all" the features that I could ever ask for except......yep! The stitch regulator. It does have the plate for fmq but is has so many bad reviews I don't even want to consider it. It's true what some said about adopting someone else's machine, that's how I got my Viking. She is slowly approaching 20 years but you couldn't tell by how she sews. I already fmq on my Viking and I have done several quilts. My problem, I have a lead foot with my foot control and I get engrossed in what I'm doing and the next thing I know I'm speeding like a demon but I'm also losing stitch quality, the co-ordination of fmq and my foot going crazy gives me un-even stitches. Since I'm thinking about a new purchase I want to make sure I include a SR. You have all giving me good feedback to start my research and I appreciate it.
Ok, one last thing.....I love my little Sophie, she is precious, she looks so sweet and innocent and she has this deep-throated little voice (which kind of makes sense since she isn't always so so sweet! ha ha!!!) and Yes.....I do have a big stick!

I hope everyone has a great Christmas holiday!
Old 12-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa
I want to thank everyone for your comments, they are very, very helpful. I should have mentioned that I have a Viking and I absolutely love it, it has "all" the features that I could ever ask for except......yep! The stitch regulator. It does have the plate for fmq but is has so many bad reviews I don't even want to consider it. It's true what some said about adopting someone else's machine, that's how I got my Viking. She is slowly approaching 20 years but you couldn't tell by how she sews. I already fmq on my Viking and I have done several quilts. My problem, I have a lead foot with my foot control and I get engrossed in what I'm doing and the next thing I know I'm speeding like a demon but I'm also losing stitch quality, the co-ordination of fmq and my foot going crazy gives me un-even stitches. Since I'm thinking about a new purchase I want to make sure I include a SR. You have all giving me good feedback to start my research and I appreciate it.
Ok, one last thing.....I love my little Sophie, she is precious, she looks so sweet and innocent and she has this deep-throated little voice (which kind of makes sense since she isn't always so so sweet! ha ha!!!) and Yes.....I do have a big stick!

I hope everyone has a great Christmas holiday!
There is a stitch regulator available from the Grace company that you attach to the carriage on a quilting frame and plug into the sewing machine. It senses how fast the carriage is being moved and adjusts the speed of the machine appropriately.
As for the adapter plate on a Husky/Viking, many quilters just take the feed dogs right out if all they use that machine for is quilting - freemotion or on a frame. There is only a screw holding them in. If it's never been adjusted, you will have to use a strong arm to get the screw loose. Then put the screw and the feed dogs in a small baggie and tape them to the underside of your machine so they don't get lost. Some have even hidden them inside the bobbin area.
If your machine does not have a speed regulator (my Janome has a sliding button that you set the max speed, then use the foot pedal) there are other ways to prevent "lead foot syndrome."
You can place an eraser between the foot pedal - between the pedal and the base, or if your foot pedal pushes down to the floor, tape the eraser to the bottom of the foot pedal so you can't push it down so far.
Never take "no" or "can't be done" for an answer.