Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Debate

See..the way I see it..if hubby gets two rooms...you should get two rooms! lol

He has the man cave and tool shop...you should get the stash shop and the quilt shop LOL

Blog Entries
    Can you swap the man cave with your area? Then you walk through HIS area to get to your private one?

I like the two room idea...that is starting to have real appeal!!
    Amma the man cave is smaller...he can keep it lol
    Hugs
    April

I would go down to the basement.

Oh QBeth! you always sounded like such a nice person! and now you talk about decluttering, and getting rid of things?! Is someone making you say that? LOL! I'm with you, my sewing room is less than 10x10.. maybe closer to 9x9, and 8 foot table fills most of a wall; but I vote for the safety of higher ground.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Sweet little Izzy may decide to claim it as a play room LMBO or when she gets older a teen center :shock: Stake your claim quick!!! :D:D:D
    No way amma-Izzy can have her old bedroom back as the playroom if I decide to move out :-)
    a teen center? :shock: :shock: :shock: my daughter a teen? :shock: :shock:
    Hugs
    April
    Sorry Hon....but it will happen LMBO I tried stacking books on their heads...telling them birthdays after the 12th one you start counting backwards...but it is inevitable...:roll:

Don't forget the fridge and snack cabinet. A wine rack maybe? Boy are we going to have fun!

I know Amma :-( But she will always be my little girl.
    Chele,
    We can raid the man cave fridge teehee and of course we will have snacks-any particular preferences?
    Hugs
    April

Blog Entries
    I'd go for "bigger is better" myself, with all else equal. Moving again is just an opportunity to reorganize.

I also use big plastic totes in my sewing room for stuff I know won't be used for a while. No chance of damage.

Anyway, have fun!!!

I have plastic bins but everyone states they are no good as the fabric needs to breath..the ones I have are the drawer type bins so they are not air tight..are these ones ok?
    Hugs
    April

Blog Entries
    Shoot Fire what's wrong with you guys? She needs to take BOTH rooms. An upstairs room for storing fabric and a downstairs sewing room for sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Shoot Fire what's wrong with you guys? She needs to take BOTH rooms. An upstairs room for storing fabric and a downstairs sewing room for sewing.
    That is what I am beginning to think about more and more!! I am sure my little one wouldn't mind sharing her playroom with my fabric :-) (although I'm not sure where she would keep her toys! lol)
    Hugs
    April

Chance of a larger space - I'd move. Just make sure everything is well off the floor. Try not to have carpet.

Bellabo right - go for both rooms ;)

All you ladies forgot to claim a bathroom or is that understood??? ;-)

You will have the larger room filled up in no time. My sewing room is on the second floor but is quite large, so DH can have the entire basement!!!

I'd agree with Mad Quilter. Take both spaces! Put your cutting table and large items in the basement. Anything that would be ruined if the water comes back, I'd put upstairs.

Of course, I'm totally jealous of anyone who has a sewing room of any kind. Whichever space you choose, enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    That's what I do, sort of. My sewing studio 20 x20 was the garage. My SS used to be where my fabric lives in a 12x14 bedroom. I have both rooms and really need more. Or maybe less stuff.

Banned
    If you went downstairs, perhaps you could make a design wall!?!?!
    I bought a piece of that styrofoam=type insulation board from the hardware store. then I covered it in quilt batting. works great! Even a dollar store flannel backed vinyl tablecloth could work!
    Have fun!

Head south, and make it your own space.
    And there is plenty of room to make Izzy a play space.

After being in basements for years I would not willingly go if there isn't many windows, Between that and I refuse to place my machine so that I have to face the wall,

I know what you mean about not wanting to face the wall. I thought I was the only one! When I set up my basement sewing studio 10 years ago, I first decided where the TV would go, and oriented everything else around that. One machine does face the wall to be stored, but I can pull it out to sew.

Cricket

I spent a lot of time facing the wall and I hated every min of it, I love when I have the garage door open and I can see out, my main machine faces that way (tv is off to one side of the door. )

I would stay in the bedroom! I love a basement, but a bedroom can be so cozy and inviting. My dear friend has her sewing room in a tiny bedroom, it is all organized so well and when her dh wants to talk to her, she is on the same floor level. I have to run up and down each time which gets very aggravating. Either way you choose you can't loose!

I' with you cutebunns, If I was in a basement, no windows, I would NOT want my machine facing the wall. I am downstairs too, and I do face the wall, BUT it has a 5' by 42" high, faces the south so I have lots of daylight. Now, about the bathroom...that was one thing I had Dennis put in as fast as he could figure it out, a pump UP system..and it is fantastic. No more running up stairs. April, if you set your room up right, do it so there is nothing in the path of the guys coming through. A room divider if you will. Again, we love pictures, show us! Joanie

This is so amazing because I've really been concentrating on my sewing room and fixing it up. I had my sewing room in one of the smallest bedrooms we had and I was miserable, because I really couldn't function in there. I finally decided that my guest wouldn't be in their guest room only to sleep so I changed the guest room into the smaller room and took the largest room in the bedrooms for my sewing room. My master room is the largest, but this room is above a 2 car garage. I love it. I am still trying to organize it, but Christmas took most of my x-tra monies, so I'll have to wait to get the cabinets, cubicles and shelves for all the material and stuff I've collected. Maybe I won't clean up and lose all my stuff. Actually it's not lost. It's just in a place I know I will remember where I put it. So much for that!!! I still need help for arranging all this and I'm scouring the Internet and lows for ideas on arrangement. Quilting every day keeps the Dr at bay. Beth

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast