Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sewing Room Debate

I can't stand facing a wall even in my upstairs sewing room. The window is behind me and I can see out the other window in the room if I need to see the weather outside. I like facing the door. My computer does face a wall though, but I am trying not to spend so much time on it anymore. This quilt board is addicting!

Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    Oh QBeth! you always sounded like such a nice person! and now you talk about decluttering, and getting rid of things?! Is someone making you say that? LOL! I'm with you, my sewing room is less than 10x10.. maybe closer to 9x9, and 8 foot table fills most of a wall; but I vote for the safety of higher ground.
    Well, thank you, that starts my day off just right! I had thought of adding a disclaimer in my original post about the decluttering, something to the effect "do as I say, not as I do!" :)

My sewing room is also about 10'x10' and I've found that limiting my space helps me decide on how much to spend on my quilting. My stash is about to outgrow storage capacity and I already own every gizmo and gadget made (I'm old & moldy so I've had time to accumulate). With all the sales right now, both in stores and on-line, I had to put a stop to my spending (didn't go overboard, thankfully that's not me). When the sewing stuff (fabric, thread, notions) started overflowing into the living room, I said enough is enough!

Another plus for using both spaces is the ability to host Friday night UFO parties; put a few long folding banquest-style tables and some chairs in the basement area and you're all set to go! I also vote for upstairs due to the improbable but possible danger of another flood/whatever and losing my stash, machines, and such. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bethy
    This is so amazing because I've really been concentrating on my sewing room and fixing it up. .... Quilting every day keeps the Dr at bay. Beth
    Good morning to another Beth! Welcome to the club, so to speak. I think you'll find this board interesting and very useful!

On another note, all of you who use your garage as a sewing space?? "You all" must live in the deep south although, this week, it wouldn't help much due to the cold. :( New Hampshire is still hovering in the 20's but we expect to get the arctic blast this weekend that's been putting a deep freeze on all those states west of here, you know, in the rest of the Country. :-) As Mark Twain said, "In New England, if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute!"

10 x 10 would be lovely for me, close to a bathroom and near enough you could deal with family needs if need be. I can imagine needing such a huge space unless you have a huge machine for quilting? If you lost more fabric would you be sad?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    Take the room with the view! That's probably the bedroom, right?

Those of us in NY know that it's dark here much of the year... why go down to the basement where it's dark all the time?

As to placement of the sewing machine... I love windows so much that I daydream and get distracted if my machine is facing a window. So I chose to put mine against the wall, on purpose, to keep me on task.

Now, the cutting table, that faces the window! Perhaps it enhances the creative process. Sitting at the machine, that's literally the mechanical part of the job.

As to space... if you're like most of us, your "stuff" will grow to fill all available space, anyway...

You ladies are wonderful! You pur things into perspective's I do not think about!
    The window I could go either way on. I love the sunlight but sometimes I work best when the beauty of the day does not distract me :-)
    My current room is just flowing out in to the hallway at his point :-) This is one of the reasons why I am tryiong to organize it now and get it straight.
    I do not have a huge sewing machine and I would be devastated to loose anything again but if I keep my stash upstairs and just bring what I need to cut and sew downstairs I could have some sew ins the basement once in awhile....oh boy this is tougher than I thought it would be!
    Oh and I told dh I was going to keep both rooms and he said go ahead-do whatever makes you happy. If you are happy I am :-)
    Hugs
    April

Quote Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    You ladies are wonderful! You pur things into perspective's I do not think about!
    The window I could go either way on. I love the sunlight but sometimes I work best when the beauty of the day does not distract me :-)
    My current room is just flowing out in to the hallway at his point :-) This is one of the reasons why I am tryiong to organize it now and get it straight.
    I do not have a huge sewing machine and I would be devastated to loose anything again but if I keep my stash upstairs and just bring what I need to cut and sew downstairs I could have some sew ins the basement once in awhile....oh boy this is tougher than I thought it would be!
    Oh and I told dh I was going to keep both rooms and he said go ahead-do whatever makes you happy. If you are happy I am :-)
    Hugs
    April
    hehe (your DH finally figured out that old adage, "If momma ain't happy -- no one is happy"!!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL Joyce :-)
    Hugs
    April

I like that, have two sewing rooms!

Sure wish I was there, you and I could move and org. in no time flat. Maybe you have a friend you could invite over.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
    Sure wish I was there, you and I could move and org. in no time flat. Maybe you have a friend you could invite over.....
    I wish you were here too! None of my local friends quilt :-(
    Hugs
    April

Neither does mind, had to make new friends! (still have my old friends, they get the quilts) ;)

LOL...I have made new friends here but none close enough to come sew with me :-(
    Hugs
    April

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbinwinder
    Oh my goodness, wouldn't we all love to have these options? I'm thrilled for you! April, you don't say if the basement is a shared space...at least, I didn't read it. My point is that if you are making the bedroom work for you and it is a totally dedicated sewing room but the basement would be shared...I'm just pretty sure that I'd stay in the cubby hole room that is all mine all the time.
    I'd be giving the water issue no more consideration...I'm sure you've done everything to correct that unfortunate situation. It's about happy in the overall...which place makes you the most happy?
    You know his man cave is on the other side but it is almost completely closed off. However I did not think of the all mine all the time. Everyone would have to walk through my sewing area to get to the man cave and the tool shop :-( Perhaps I need to ponder more...thank you for making a very good point. Although I do not mind hubby being there I am not sure I want lots of other people traipsing through lol
    Hugs
    April
    Can you get creative in your room arrangement and make a "hallway" for the through traffic. I was thinking about my tall cabinets -- something like that could be used to create a movable wall. Just an idea.

We will have to talk often and it will be like I am there with you... :lol:

The basement sounds great. I do have to agree that you need some totes for the fabric.

A moveable wall....now that could be a plan for sure!
    I hope to be creative with my space but who knows :-)
    I will definetly talk-i love to talk and make new friends-especially quilty ones.
    I have to find some more totes...would love to find them at like wholesale prices or something.
    Hugs
    April

Blog Entries
    My first thoughts keyed in on that word "cave" and even 14x20 can get cramped! I'd opt for upstairs sunlight, HOWEVER with the gutter fixes and using plastic storage OFF the floor, and plenty of light (heat is good too!) perhaps the cave is better. Forget those Damp-Rid containers (which do work in very small spaces) and invest in a good brand DE-humidifier, it takes care of the whole basement and keeps that basement odor away. Good luck.

I could have a huge sewing room in our basement... it is done and waiting but I have chosen to stay upstairs. I don't think I'd use a basement room like I do my room upstairs.

Now if I could get my long arm and table I'd be down there in a flash!

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Guess I'll be the one dissenting vote when it comes to the basement. I'd stay upstairs! Mine is on the second floor, the sunniest of the two bedrooms. Great light during the day. Also, gets me out of that "cave" environment; i.e., I work in an office building all day.

Another reason... we've all been griping about our over-stocked, messy, disorganized sewing rooms. Mine's the same, plus some. What better way to limit yourself and enforce organization than staying in a better defined space? Why not use the basement when it comes to pinning and quilting large tops?

Just my opinion.
    I use two spaces, upstairs is all my fabric, UFO's, longarm and threads,bookcases with mags and books, supplies. Downstairs is my large table, ironing board, rulers and sewing machines. I get in my excerise:) by going up and down the stairs:)

I have my "craft" area down in the basement. I moved in with my boyfriend and that was the only place that I could put everything. I like to rubber stamp, too.

I had some wire shelves already and that's where my larger pieces of fabric go. I also have plastic shelves that I bought at Home Depot that are about 4 feet wide. I actually have 3 of them. They have 4 shelves each and even if we do get any water in the basement, the stuff is off the floor a couple of inches.

I also use the plastic tubs that have drawers. I keep those next to my sewing table for easy access.

I don't mind sewing down there. I sometimes need to get away, if you get my meaning.

Blog Entries
    Larger space is my vote. Sort as you go. You are one lucky person to have the chance to move to a larger space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
    I wish you were here too! None of my local friends quilt :-(
    Hugs
    April
    These friends don't have to sew -- just have strong backs!!! (Fabric is HEAVY!) :lol: :lol:

I'm going with the majority on this one. You can NEVER have too much room! Put everything in tubs. Keeps it dry if you have heavy rains again, AND they will keep you organized. I have tubs labeled Browns & Blacks, Blue, Green, Etc. I have smaller tubs for scraps, each labeled with the colors in side. Take advantage of your larger area and create or buy a layout wall. I put velcro over the top of the sliding closet doors, (there are 3 doors in that room) bought flannel, pieced yardage together to make it big enough, sewed hems all around and put more velcro on the flannel, and it now hangs in the room all the time. With the velcro, if I want into that closet, I just pull it down for the distance I need. When I'm done, it pops right back up. (That's the cheap way to get a design layout wall) :lol:

Look at the task of moving as an opportunity to sort, re-organize and really set your new place up for omptimal efficiency!
    Bins and storage racks would be the starter...then a wall of places for threads, ribbon, bobbins...an ironing area that is close to your sewing area...you could really do it up if you look at it!
    I once moved nine times in six years and I have become so organized and clutter free as a result, you would be amazed!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast