Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room Debate >

Sewing Room Debate

Sewing Room Debate

Old 01-07-2010, 05:08 PM

I'd agree with Mad Quilter. Take both spaces! Put your cutting table and large items in the basement. Anything that would be ruined if the water comes back, I'd put upstairs.

Of course, I'm totally jealous of anyone who has a sewing room of any kind. Whichever space you choose, enjoy!
Old 01-07-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Shoot Fire what's wrong with you guys? She needs to take BOTH rooms. An upstairs room for storing fabric and a downstairs sewing room for sewing.
That's what I do, sort of. My sewing studio 20 x20 was the garage. My SS used to be where my fabric lives in a 12x14 bedroom. I have both rooms and really need more. Or maybe less stuff.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Banned

If you went downstairs, perhaps you could make a design wall!?!?!
I bought a piece of that styrofoam=type insulation board from the hardware store. then I covered it in quilt batting. works great! Even a dollar store flannel backed vinyl tablecloth could work!
Have fun!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Head south, and make it your own space.
And there is plenty of room to make Izzy a play space.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Power Poster

After being in basements for years I would not willingly go if there isn't many windows, Between that and I refuse to place my machine so that I have to face the wall,
Old 01-07-2010, 08:28 PM

I know what you mean about not wanting to face the wall. I thought I was the only one! When I set up my basement sewing studio 10 years ago, I first decided where the TV would go, and oriented everything else around that. One machine does face the wall to be stored, but I can pull it out to sew.

Cricket
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

I spent a lot of time facing the wall and I hated every min of it, I love when I have the garage door open and I can see out, my main machine faces that way (tv is off to one side of the door. )
Old 01-07-2010, 08:54 PM

I would stay in the bedroom! I love a basement, but a bedroom can be so cozy and inviting. My dear friend has her sewing room in a tiny bedroom, it is all organized so well and when her dh wants to talk to her, she is on the same floor level. I have to run up and down each time which gets very aggravating. Either way you choose you can't loose!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 PM

I' with you cutebunns, If I was in a basement, no windows, I would NOT want my machine facing the wall. I am downstairs too, and I do face the wall, BUT it has a 5' by 42" high, faces the south so I have lots of daylight. Now, about the bathroom...that was one thing I had Dennis put in as fast as he could figure it out, a pump UP system..and it is fantastic. No more running up stairs. April, if you set your room up right, do it so there is nothing in the path of the guys coming through. A room divider if you will. Again, we love pictures, show us! Joanie
Old 01-07-2010, 11:59 PM

This is so amazing because I've really been concentrating on my sewing room and fixing it up. I had my sewing room in one of the smallest bedrooms we had and I was miserable, because I really couldn't function in there. I finally decided that my guest wouldn't be in their guest room only to sleep so I changed the guest room into the smaller room and took the largest room in the bedrooms for my sewing room. My master room is the largest, but this room is above a 2 car garage. I love it. I am still trying to organize it, but Christmas took most of my x-tra monies, so I'll have to wait to get the cabinets, cubicles and shelves for all the material and stuff I've collected. Maybe I won't clean up and lose all my stuff. Actually it's not lost. It's just in a place I know I will remember where I put it. So much for that!!! I still need help for arranging all this and I'm scouring the Internet and lows for ideas on arrangement. Quilting every day keeps the Dr at bay. Beth