Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing room / quilting studio decorations >

Sewing room / quilting studio decorations

Sewing room / quilting studio decorations

Old 01-16-2014, 06:23 AM

My DH has built me several beautiful shelves in my 2 sewing rooms & I have several vintage sewing machines + various decorative pieces (sewing tins, candles etc.). I have a cork board where I stick important notes + I also have a good size peg board where I hang various quilting items (scissors, embroidery hoops etc.) a lot of things that I need
on a regular basis & don't want to hide away in drawers. I also have a few small plaques on the walls (the Serenity Prayer being one), a large colour wheel & a large rack that my DH made to hold all my thread. I also have a couple of very pretty decorator boxes (in rose patterned paper) on display. I also have hooks in one room to hold my rulers, some stencils & a pair of scissors. I can't post any pics but hopefully you get the idea. I have posted them on the QB in the past year or so. In 1 room, I have a smaller shelf displaying my 3/4 vintage LaVencedora machine with the domed top hanging from a hook, underneath the shelf.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:31 AM
Banned

My room is the same size and one wall is a window, one a closet, one my design wall (yes floor to ceiling/side to side) and I just have a calendar on the last wall - which sounds kind of sad but it is a great room! Lots of sun and view of the neighborhood, mirrors on the closet door and a TV inside the closet so I can catch up on my shows while sewing! Let us know what you do!
Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM

Windows on 3 sides, cabinets/computer /one big picture on the other .
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM

I moved into a new space this past year. Not done yet, but so far ...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]456835[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456837[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456838[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456839[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456840[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456841[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf1334.jpg   dscf1335.jpg   dscf1336.jpg   dscf1337.jpg   dscf1338.jpg  

dscf1339.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stepney View Post
My sewing room is about the same size and I haven't decorated so far simply because I have so much 'stuff' in there that there is no room left to go but up! I do have 3 Betty Boop pictures I need to hang but I'm gonna have to hang 'em high!
There's no more "up" left in my room -- wall shelves to ceiling full of stuff I "need." Some people call their sewing rooms "studio," etc. I call mine "OMG! Shut the door."
Old 01-16-2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stepney View Post
My sewing room is about the same size and I haven't decorated so far simply because I have so much 'stuff' in there that there is no room left to go but up! I do have 3 Betty Boop pictures I need to hang but I'm gonna have to hang 'em high!
I'm the same way. I have a large bedroom (13 x 15) for my sewing room and the only "decoration" is a magnetic board with dachshunds that my friend gave me. The rest of the wall space is taken up by shelves with boxes of fabric, hanging thread racks, boxes of thread, a bulletin board and my "design wall". I pretty much decided that I didnt' need decoration. I have all my beautiful fabrics around me and that's all I need
Old 01-16-2014, 11:56 AM

I have two wall quilts, a hanging ruler rack, pictures of my family, The Ten Commandments of Quilting :O
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM

Who has time to decorate. The wall behind my sewing machine has the spindle boards that hold thread. There's also a piece of art work made with raffia and wax paper a friend made in an elementary education class.

The best I can hope for is to get some organization. I have fabric in plastic bins, roughly sorted by color or special subject (like cats). I'd like to get some shelves to put those on so I can clear off my desk/table.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:14 PM

I only have a shelf, about a foot wide, to add decorative things (all the walls are covered in 'functional' things) and I periodically change what I have displayed there. Right now I have the darning foot, a card of snaps (for 10 cents!) a needle, different shades of thread to darn hose, an old sewing basket, and an ad from an old mag for elastic.
When my Dad and I used to go to farm auctions, I collected from the 'household' items.
Attached Thumbnails image149.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 04:35 PM

I have three walls with built in cabinets up to counter height. Then above the cabinets on one wall is shelving with plastic bins of projects in process or waiting their turn to be in process. The second wall has cube shelving up to the ceiling for my quilting fabrics that aren't hidden in the cabinets. Sorta looks like a dry goods store! The third wall has my cutting boards set up on the cabinets as well as a few baskets for holding fun decorations. Above those cabinets on the wall is multiple wallhanging size quilts, quilt signs, and decorative shelving with old sewing machines and fun decorative pin cushions and button decorations. But my favorite decorating in that room is my fourth wall. It has two glass doors in the middle with my design wall on one side of doors and a bookshelf for quilting books on the other. However, above on this wall I have hung clothesline with the old fashioned pot holders. You know those crocheted ones everybody's mothers or grandmothers made to look like dresses or bloomers. I also found a small wash tub and put that up next to clothesline. Everybody comments on what a perfect idea that is for using them. And it fits right in with the quilting stuff. I love my studio!!!