Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing scrap strips to PAPER >

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Old 04-11-2011, 04:20 AM

I use newspaper. Don't have trouble with it bleeding. And you can cut really big squares out of it.
Annette
Old 04-11-2011, 04:20 AM

I use paper towels, Telephone book pages and newspaper that has no color print. With all 3, just spray lightly with water and all just slips off. I like the dryer sheet idea, but since I don't use them. I use large size wash and wipes for my face. I'm Wash them out after I clean my face and have a 13 x 9 pallet for scrap quilting.

Isn't this board just grand?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:21 AM

I have used Bounty paper towels, the one with 11 inch square sheets, you don't need to take the paper out either, they stay inside the quilt, makes a nice heavy quilt too. Bounty is tougher than some other paper towles, and don't tear/wad up after being washed, works great. The crazy quilt that is in my avatar is made on Bounty towels...
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 AM
dd

Originally Posted by erstan947
I am currently using used dryer sheets. It doesn't need to be removed. It becomes part of the quilt without adding noticeable weight to the quilt.
I like this idea. I had stopped using dryer sheets when I actually thought about it and realized they don't break down in the landfill. Now I only use liquid fabric softener. I like your recycling idea. Thank you for another recycle idea.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:23 AM

now that is a great idea!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:24 AM

If I don t have any scrap muslin laying around, I use an old sheet, but I have a friend that goes to the newspaper to get unprinted paper. It comes on a big roll and it tears easily.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 AM
dd

Originally Posted by jlm5419
Don't forget coffee filters for nice round shapes. They tear easily too, at least mine do. I got 160 for $1 at the dollar store.
So you use filter for like dresden plates and fans and things like that?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by kso
You can go to your local newspaper and buy a partial roll of newsprint. Very economical.
Also, if you cut this newsprint into 8 1/2" x 11" sheets, you can feed it through your printer to print your foundation patterns.
But I still hate tearing off the paper, so I use batiste, which is lighter weight than muslin. I f you put freezer paper on the back, you can run it through the printer also. Doesn't matter if it isn't color-fast. You only need the pattern until the block is finished. There isn't enough ink to cause a problem with bleeding.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaY
Thanks, Ladies, for all the clever ideas for foundation papers. I do lots of paper piecing and my pattern is printed out on the paper, so I do purchase the stuff from my local quilt shop. Is there a better way that will still go through my printer?
See my post a little higher up. You can iron freezer paper to the back of muslin, batiste, or most any fabric, and then feed it through the printer. Newsprint will go through the printer fine as is. Running coffee filters or old dryer sheets through the printer might be a bit more tricky!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I'm stitching on adding machine roll! 3" wide using scraps! There was a Topic on this by Sue Fish! She has made fantastic quilts using this method!
me too
also on a slightly wider roll of paper that Staples sells; it's yellow and I don't remember what it's for - just remember the puzzled look on the saleskid's face when I said I wanted to sew on it.

I remember reading somewhere that there's some reason to not use dryer sheets - can't recall why though.