Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing scrap strips to PAPER >

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Old 04-11-2011, 06:08 AM

Another source of foundation material is old white sheets from a second hand store. If you're careful, you can get some nice ones, and if they are the thin, polyester blend kind, they really make fine foundations and you don't have to pick them out like paper. Only drawback is they are not easy to see through. But it's good recycling!!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 AM

I use Parchmnt paper that I found in a box of stuff at a auction years ago don't know what I well do went at gone. But just had to say coffee filters would not have come up with that but the ideas are just running away with them self now, sew them up and cut into 4th and sew back togother. how about makeing drunker path? look out sewing room here I come. LOV AT thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 06:13 AM

This board is just filled with ideas. Love it! Thanks for sharing. We all learn.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 AM

Scrap flower with coffee filer? I see a new quilt in the making.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 AM

I have a sister who works for a map printing company. Once in a while I ask her to get me the end of the roll (for some reason the machines don't use the last bit.) Another thing that works is the packing paper you can get at moving van stores. Lots of companies now ship using this type of paper so it is free.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltSage
My Mom told me she used newspaper "in the olden days". I think it would bleed ink onto the fabrics. I have used printer paper. Doctors exam paper would be really good because it would tear easier. But I like the idea of recycling something that has already served it's purpose elsewhere. I;m thinking used doctor office paper would NOT be good. Eeeewww.
Newspaper works fine as long as it is about a week old. The ink just needs time to dry. Rub your finger tip along it and if no ink comes off on your finger it will not come off on your fabric. Also you can run a hot iron over the paper to dry the ink. My Mum in law and I used to make crazy quilts this way. We just left the paper in and then during the first wash it just dissolved. We used to joke that the paper just added another layer of warmth.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 AM

I buy thrift shop bedskirts, cut them in strips and they make a great backing for less than $2.00 for an entire quilt.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 AM

Paper piecing patterns. You can make almost anything this way. :thumbup:
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM

my local newspaper gives away the end of the roll. i have more newspaper than i will ever use. but it is great for paper piecing. i just cut it up to fit in copier
Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 AM

yep...me too....working on a second roll at the moment...there was just enough for a quilt and a half on my first roll...lol I also plan on using old sheets cut up in strips...
Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I'm stitching on adding machine roll! 3" wide using scraps! There was a Topic on this by Sue Fish! She has made fantastic quilts using this method!