Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing scrap strips to PAPER >

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Sewing scrap strips to PAPER

Old 04-11-2011, 04:58 AM

I use tissue paper for pper piecing You can see through it quite easily
Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 AM

You don't use dryer sheets because they are flamable, so I really wouldn't use them as a foundation and leave them. If you do use dryer sheets, I would remove them after your block is finished.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunr
You don't use dryer sheets because they are flamable, so I really wouldn't use them as a foundation and leave them. If you do use dryer sheets, I would remove them after your block is finished.
Cotton is flammable, too. If your quilt is close enough to a flame it will ignite whether or not you use dryer sheets.

I use used dryer sheets to make my string quilts.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:10 AM
dd

Originally Posted by roadrunr
Thanks for that info. Guess I won't be using dryer sheets after all.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 AM

I use deli-paper for foundation piecing. Cut it to size on my paper cutter and start filling each one in. It is my go to project when the frustration level gets too high when trying to FMQ, or just piecing at the end of the day.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:44 AM

You can buy "end rolls" from your newspaper office with a printing press on site. There is usually about 1000' on them and they usually cost between $2 to $5. They come in regular newspaper width or dink width (1/2 regular size.) Newspaper is clean and white and tears easily. Call and see if they are available.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:46 AM

I also use the coffee filters, I have some of the 15 gallon tea machine ones but can't find any to buy I can afford. I also used the cone one, cut them open and it make an unusual shape, great for corners. I have filters in all sizes. Anyone know where I can get the 15 gallon ones cheap?
Old 04-11-2011, 06:00 AM

I use everthing people mentioned plus newsprint end rolls that you can buy at your local newspaper office. End rolls are the part of a roll that is too short to go through the printer. Some newspapers give end rolls away. Others charge two or three dollars for the paper, which is neatly rolled on a center core. The paper will probably turn yellow with age before you use it up.
Teachers love end rolls for projects with students because it is inexpensive and they get to recycle it twice, once when their students use it and once when it goes into the recycle bin. froggyintexas
Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 AM

I have used muslin, dryer sheet, the middle part of bed skirts, and am just getting read to use the coffee filters. Always looking for ideas to use something up.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:04 AM

LOL - I don't use dryer sheets because mine are too small! When I buy a box of dryer sheets, I take them all out of the box and cut them in half, then stack them back in the box. I find half an unscented dryer sheet is plenty to keep away the static cling!!