Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing without bobbin thread... >

sewing without bobbin thread...

sewing without bobbin thread...

Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by alikat110
My brother is electronic and notifies me when it is low
Ditto with my Viking bobbin beep and top thread beep.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:48 PM

When you don't have any alarm or buzzer to notify you that you are running out of bobbin thread:

*Wind a bobbin with a different color thread then what you are using for your project for only a few seconds!! Attach with a small knot the thread that you are using on the project and wind the full bobbin. When the different color thread starts to show, you will know that you are going to run out!!* Hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:58 PM
SMR

fortunately the machine I'm currently using warns me when bobin running out.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Yes this has happened several times recently. What do you ladies do when the bobbin runs out in the middle of your seam? Do you rip and start over, or do you just pick up where you left off? I've done it both ways, but I'm new at this and don't know which is the "right" way.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by breezy
Originally Posted by Rhaorth
Have you ever continued sewing without bobbin thread... I mean... without realizing it ran out?

I was speeding right along, doing the strips for the scrappy fence, and getting pretty comfortable with the 1/4" seams.... when I noticed that... the top thread seemed to be coming loose from the fabric....

So stopped sewing, pulled out the strip and lo and behold, the bobbin was empty... ok... not so bad you say.. at least I noticed it...

Well, that was after sewing 4 sets of strips without a bobbin thread (8.5" strips... 4 of them... chain piecing, so not having to lift the presser foot, or cut threads... but you would think I would have noticed! LOL)

AND... why is it that the seams seem to be so much straighter when I run out of bobbin thread...

I like stopping to fill a bobbin, gives me a chance to stretch out my back... need a better chair.

Just thought I would share my... oh my gosh... moment

we need an alarm for when the bobbin is getting close to empty hehe
Someone mentioned previously to fill 2 bobbins, one for bobbin and one for top thread instead of spool. when top thread bobbin was getting low, you would know that your bobbin was also low. sounds like a great idea. :thumbup:
Sounds absolutely brilliant to me. Does anyone have any opinions or insight as to how the "reverse thread wrap" (top thread coming off a wound bobbin instead of straight from the spool) would affect the stitching??
Old 10-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Pfaff lets you know your bobbin is almost out, one of the things I love about my machines! :-)

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I wish someone would invent a bell to ring when the bobbin gets a few feet from the end, Or a light to blink or anything to indicate low bobbin thread!

I'm right there with you! :thumbup:
Old 10-27-2011, 03:23 PM

I do it all the time!
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Of course but after years there is a little different sound to the sewing that I can usually hear to clue me in.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM

I see a pattern developing here...Unless we have electronic upscale machines we will continue to occasionally repeat this problem until we retrain our brains to immediately check the bobbin thread when things are going too well :!: :!: :!: If things are just flying together it should be an immediate signal that there's no bobbin thread. Repeat over and over until it becomes second nature. Then we will have our own built in thread alarms. :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
Old 10-27-2011, 04:19 PM

'Scuse me while I stop quilting for a minute and go invent a bobbin alarm and make a ka-zillion bucks so all I have to do is worry about how much of it I'm going to spend on fabric today...LOL!!