Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewingroom >

Sewingroom

Sewingroom

Old 09-19-2010, 04:06 PM

I think they learned it as kids. When my kids were small as soon as the phone rang it was their cue to start a tantrum or needing my undivided attention. I didn't get much sewing done unless they were at school or asleep.
Dh does the same thing to me.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM

My sewing room is a mess and I can say its not all my fault.
My dd sews too and she often leaves stuff wherever she left it. I get fed up and put it all in front of her bedroom door. lol
I make lots of scrap quilts and its so hard to be neat when you have scraps all over the table.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:21 PM

DH has been working about 400 miles away since May and doesn't get home as often as he claimed he would. He's working for his son (my DSS) and being spoiled rotten, so he's not that anxious to make the trip LOL.
Since he's been gone the bomb has definitely gone off in my sewing room and the fallout is all over the house! I seem to have fabric in every room and closet all of a sudden and when he does come home it takes some serious crisis cleaning to get things at least picked up in the house. I can always close the door to the sewing room...........as long as I move the things out of the way that are preventing the door from closing......Oh dear, and yes the phone always ring and the dogs always want out and the cats are always on the wrong side of the door........and I can't find that darned buzzer either!
Happy quilting everyone!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:37 PM

Debbie,
I love your sewing room "sign"! Did you make it?
Audrey
Old 09-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by MrsM
Does anyone elses sewingroom look like a bomb went off in it when you are working on a project? Does everyone in your household suddenly lose all ability to cook, iron, or find something they desparately need...while you are sewing? I am feeling at my wits end!!
I still remember the time that my family decided to clean house for my birthday. My husband took me for a really long drive and when I came back the downstairs was spotless. (Housekeeping is not my favorite activity!) They even took the magnets off the fridge and quotes off the cabinets! Thank goodness my sewing room and office desk were off limits or I think the outcome would have been much worse than it was! I'm afraid that I didn't respond very kindly. I don't think that will be my birthday gift again! :) Thank goodness for machines or the laundry and dishes would never get done! My microwave is also my friend!
Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 AM

Join the club. I have my pilot's license, I pile it here and I pile it there. I can barely get in this room, have a path to my clothes closet and one to the computer and one to the sewing machine. Once in awhile I dig through everthing and get it sort of organized, and say, give me ten minutes and it will be back to normal. I know anything I want is on the bottom of a stack of boxes but live with it.
DH gave me a plaque that says, Creative people are rarely tidy, he understands and quit growling years ago.

Carol J.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:20 AM
Lyn

My DH peeks in my room and asks, "Maybe after Christmas you'll clean it?" I look up from the sewing machine under tons of material and grumble, "Maybe."
Old 09-20-2010, 04:32 AM

I had such good intentions for keeping everything neat and tidy. That lasts for a day, oh well, creative energy!! I try to put the scraps in an open basket and keep most of my cutting surface cleared. It's too much fun to create to worry about the piles:-)
Old 09-20-2010, 04:40 AM

Scapykate, well said.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by tcnmom
I live alone and have a sewing room that has spread to the living room where I have my large ironing station and an end table full of hand applique. I live on peanut sandwiches and cheese and crackers, unless I eat out or get carry out. I have always said that they should come up with a pill that you can talke 3 times a day instead of cooking and eating. Wouldn't that give us so much more time to sew?
I agree, hate to be interrupted, so I just wait for afternoons when dh is movie watching or napping.