Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping for Long Arm but no dealers in my state >

Shopping for Long Arm but no dealers in my state

Shopping for Long Arm but no dealers in my state

Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 AM

I'll weigh in on the HQ16. Perhaps it's just this machine but I've had nothing but trouble. I bought it used on CL. I'll admit to not knowing a thing about them when I purchased. The price was right so I jumped at the chance to have one.
It runs rough and clankety. And I just had it serviced at the dealer who sent it to Utah to the factory because she said she couldn't get the timing right. As I'm quilting it feels like it's dragging and pulling. Perhaps I don't have the muscles necessary to keep it going where I want. But I've seen videos where they say to relax and not have a death grip on it. Mine would be veering all over the place if I didn't hang on tight. I've invested in new tracks for the table and the carriage.
This is the lower end model with no bells and whistles. Maybe you get what you pay for. I had hoped to be able to get an affordable machine to do donation work.
I am so unhappy with this HQ16 if it wasn't so heavy it would be out the window.
I'm not sure if it is just a lemon. But do plenty of research before you buy.
And as far as the local dealer goes, which is partly why I got it, she is so pushy it is a huge turnoff.
SVAL
Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sval View Post
I'll weigh in on the HQ16. Perhaps it's just this machine but I've had nothing but trouble. I bought it used on CL. I'll admit to not knowing a thing about them when I purchased. The price was right so I jumped at the chance to have one.
It runs rough and clankety. And I just had it serviced at the dealer who sent it to Utah to the factory because she said she couldn't get the timing right. As I'm quilting it feels like it's dragging and pulling. Perhaps I don't have the muscles necessary to keep it going where I want. But I've seen videos where they say to relax and not have a death grip on it. Mine would be veering all over the place if I didn't hang on tight. I've invested in new tracks for the table and the carriage.
This is the lower end model with no bells and whistles. Maybe you get what you pay for. I had hoped to be able to get an affordable machine to do donation work.
I am so unhappy with this HQ16 if it wasn't so heavy it would be out the window.
I'm not sure if it is just a lemon. But do plenty of research before you buy.
And as far as the local dealer goes, which is partly why I got it, she is so pushy it is a huge turnoff.
SVAL
I remember when you first posted when you got this machine. Didn't it fall off the rack when the seller was packaging it up for you? The dragging and pulling and feeling like you need to man-handle it have nothing to do with the machine. That sounds like your rack is out of square and not perfectly level. It would probably be a good investment for you to pay the local dealer to make a housecall and inspect the rack and make sure it is square and perfectly level.
I can move my Innova with one hand with only two fingers and my thumb holding the handle and my machine head weighs 23 pounds more than a sweet 16. Your rack is definitely not set up square and level.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I remember when you first posted when you got this machine. Didn't it fall off the rack when the seller was packaging it up for you? The dragging and pulling and feeling like you need to man-handle it have nothing to do with the machine. That sounds like your rack is out of square and not perfectly level. It would probably be a good investment for you to pay the local dealer to make a housecall and inspect the rack and make sure it is square and perfectly level.
I can move my Innova with one hand with only two fingers and my thumb holding the handle and my machine head weighs 23 pounds more than a sweet 16. Your rack is definitely not set up square and level.
By rack do you mean the frame? or the carriage?
The track that comes with the adjustable table it is on are plastic strips that attach to the table. It was a bit wobbly when I got it. So my DH made a new table top out of MDF. And then we replaced the tracks on the table and the carriage to make sure nothing was wrong there. So it is definitely level and square.
If you mean the carriage, it was just at the dealer and the factory in Utah for servicing. I would hope it would come back ok.
I've wondered if I need to upgrade to a new frame and carriage. But hate to throw good money after bad. What if it didn't work any better then?
And then there's the issue of the vibrating.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 AM

I love my gammill and purchased it from Jukebox Quilts in Ft Collins CO. I love it. The owners are amazing and I can't say enough good things about the support they have given me. At the time I lived in Steamboat Springs CO and the distance did not create an issue. I spent a day with Kelli learning the machine and haven't looked back since then.
They are great answering any questko
Old 04-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Amanda_Strand View Post
What is their price point on the avante? I called a dealer close to me and the price seemed good but they prefered they have me set it up rather than them come and set it up and that made me nervous.. I want it to be square and level. They are only about 1 hour 15 min from me. I LOVE Friends & Co. I could spend days in their quilt shop!!! The are about 5-6 hours away from me though
I see you are in Rawlins - I'm in Ten Sleep. And yes I love Friends and Co. too. They have such great people there and a wonderful choice of fabrics and such. The HQ I'm interested in is the Infinity with the ProStitcher computer, so I didn't price the Avante. We made the final move to our retirement house here last November from the Denver area. I'll PM you this afternoon.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:19 PM

The dealers are the key thing. HQ has their headquarters in Salt Lake City. I know that HQ lets their dealers decide on lessons etc and if you get a dealer who promises the moon but delivers nothing, then you are stuck. Some of their dealers are wonderful and some aren't. Being a top salesman means nothing at all, so don't pay attention to that, HQ will keep their top salesmen even if they deliver nothing. My machine is clunky sounding and has way too many problems for a new machine. I can't recommend HQ at all now.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
The dealers are the key thing. HQ has their headquarters in Salt Lake City. I know that HQ lets their dealers decide on lessons etc and if you get a dealer who promises the moon but delivers nothing, then you are stuck. Some of their dealers are wonderful and some aren't. Being a top salesman means nothing at all, so don't pay attention to that, HQ will keep their top salesmen even if they deliver nothing. My machine is clunky sounding and has way too many problems for a new machine. I can't recommend HQ at all now.
Thank you so much for your feed back
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
While at the quilt show, check out the Innova booth. Their machines are easy to self maintain and only a phone call away if you run into trouble. My dealer is in the next state so a distance. Any time I've had an issue, usually operator error, I've only had to put in a call to Michael and he has walked me thru. As I have the upgraded tension system, no oiling the felt pads and just need to add a drop or two of oil between bobbin changes and cleaning out the bobbin area during the bobbin changes. Other than that I haven't had much problems. I did have one issue though which took a while to figure out what the problem was and who was responsible in repairing/replacing it but ABM/Innova came thru like a champ and replaced the part. No trouble since then. I've had my machine since 2012 with a 3rd party robotic system. I love my machine system.
I agree. I looked at many machines before choosing my Innova. I learned on a Nolting and used a Gammill (both non-regulated). One of the best features of the Innova is that it is so low maintenance. Also, they are easy to upgrade without having to buy a new machine.

I also know several longarmers who switched from Gammills to Innovas.

Renae Haddadin (Quilts on the Corner) is my current dealer and she will be at HMQS in May. Her shop is in the Salt Lake area (Sandy, Utah). She and her husband are great. I have had my machine since 2011. It is a 26" head on a 12' table, no computer. I, too, had to call Michael once and it turned out to be operator error. He was so gracious.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by TinkerQuilts View Post
I see you are in Rawlins - I'm in Ten Sleep. And yes I love Friends and Co. too. They have such great people there and a wonderful choice of fabrics and such. The HQ I'm interested in is the Infinity with the ProStitcher computer, so I didn't price the Avante. We made the final move to our retirement house here last November from the Denver area. I'll PM you this afternoon.
A little off topic, but I went to high school in Rawlins. Actually lived in Wamsutter! Small world!