Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Shopping in my sewing room >

Shopping in my sewing room

Shopping in my sewing room

Old 11-05-2021, 05:40 AM

Lindashipper, I also have back issues and go to a massage gal every 2 weeks. I haven't purchased any fabric since I went on a quilt bus tour back in Oct 2018. I'm slowly using up my fabrics. I even have extra backings hanging up. I have 12 quilt tops waiting to be quilted. I've got their backings and battings cut and hanging next to them so I don't get them mixed up. So far with the project I'm working on now I've used up all my scrap batting. I also won't have much scraps to stuff into my scrap bins once I'm done which I'm so grateful for.

I try to work in my sewing rooms around 3-5 hrs a day now that the garden season is about over. Still have some cleanup to do outside when the weather permits as it's been getting rather chilly outside. I've added those rubber mats along my quilt machine as I also have feet issues so need something cushy to stand on.

It's a shame at once we retire, we also get older, I'm going on 70 on my next B-Day in Feb. Where did all the years go? But I keep plugging away.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:42 AM

AnnaQuilts, I'm so glad I have a stash as I do. I remember buying fabrics back when they were just $2.99 a yard and we thought that was highway robbery. Now I can't imagine paying the prices out there. Most times I look for a sale but now a days I just look and keep on walking. I can afford them but just don't want to pay the price they're asking. And it's only going to get worse too.
Old 11-05-2021, 05:46 AM

SusieQOh, if you saw my cutting table right now you'd see a hot mess too. Trying to finish up a major project for my new kitchen using the fabrics leftover from making a fitted tablecloth. I'm now working on mats to go under the mixer and the food process so it's easier to pull them out away from the wall. Also making covers for the 2 small appliances along with one for the 3qt instant pot. With what's left of the scraps I managed to make up 3 hot pads in sizes of 10" and 12". Lots of quilting to be done using decorative stitches on my machine. Used an old bath towel for the batting on the hot pads as that gave them more strength when pulling out the appliances. Plus I ran out of scrap batting.

My scraps bins are also spilling out under the cutting table so another hot mess.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:04 AM

Your sewing room looks like a quilter's dream! Love all the fabrics. I too am trying to shop my stash only buying what I need to complete a project. Sometimes this works....sometimes not so much. LOL.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

SUZ- ha!! Makes me feel a bit better
Old 11-11-2021, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
Lindashipper, I also have back issues and go to a massage gal every 2 weeks. I haven't purchased any fabric since I went on a quilt bus tour back in Oct 2018. I'm slowly using up my fabrics. I even have extra backings hanging up. I have 12 quilt tops waiting to be quilted. I've got their backings and battings cut and hanging next to them so I don't get them mixed up. So far with the project I'm working on now I've used up all my scrap batting. I also won't have much scraps to stuff into my scrap bins once I'm done which I'm so grateful for.

I try to work in my sewing rooms around 3-5 hrs a day now that the garden season is about over. Still have some cleanup to do outside when the weather permits as it's been getting rather chilly outside. I've added those rubber mats along my quilt machine as I also have feet issues so need something cushy to stand on.

It's a shame at once we retire, we also get older, I'm going on 70 on my next B-Day in Feb. Where did all the years go? But I keep plugging away.
I surely needed inspiration this morning. Seeing Suz's reply regarding advancing age and question where the years have gone? I can so relate! My answer is, I blinked. I giggled when she also said she remembers fabric prices going sky high, my goodness $2.99 a yard and thinking if prices keep going up who in the world will be able to afford to quilt as a hobby?

So I thank you Suz, for giving me morning smiles this morning!
Old 11-11-2021, 10:53 AM

Talking

I stopped buying fabric right after I came home from a quilt bus tour back in Oct 2018. Came home with 60+ partial bolts of fabric with no where to put them. I talked my sister into going on the tour with me though she doesn't sew. She can now understand how I can buy fabric with no project in mind. She even bought fabric and again, she doesn't sew. What does that tell you. She loves to come over to my house and just pet the fabrics. She's also my sounding board when I need another opinion on fabric selection on my projects. I've had to put those partial bolts in boxes alongside my cutting table, under my pressing station and even under the quilt frame. Plus I've got so many scraps I tend to try to use in my quilts as I've come to love scrappy quilt patterns.

Here's a view of just some of my fabrics as it's flowed into the other room too.
Hi...how much do you buy when you find fabric you like? What is the most you will buy, vs what is the least?
Old 11-11-2021, 02:11 PM

I stopped buying fabric right after I came home from a quilt bus tour back in Oct 2018. Came home with 60+ partial bolts of fabric with no where to put them. I talked my sister into going on the tour with me though she doesn't sew. She can now understand how I can buy fabric with no project in mind. She even bought fabric and again, she doesn't sew. What does that tell you. She loves to come over to my house and just pet the fabrics. She's also my sounding board when I need another opinion on fabric selection on my projects. I've had to put those partial bolts in boxes alongside my cutting table, under my pressing station and even under the quilt frame. Plus I've got so many scraps I tend to try to use in my quilts as I've come to love scrappy quilt patterns.

Here's a view of just some of my fabrics as it's flowed into the other room too.
Your sewing space looks lovely and HONESTLY - I am pretty sure I have been in shops with less fabric, lol. You have a lovely selection, it looks like lots of blenders and ToTs - great to work with for so many quilts. I've been on a couple of bus trips, only one was overnight, but have not managed to get 60 yards in one trip. You must have had a great time!

Robin
Old 11-11-2021, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether View Post
Ok, so I spent 2 weeks trying to straighten up my sewing room. I have continued to buy more fabric until I am having trouble getting in. So, I pulled out a project that is about 5 years old. I don’t like the colors and I’m wondering if that’s why I quit. I need more fabric. But before I go out, I’m going shopping in my own sewing room. I may mess up what I’ve just straightened up.
I hear you! Do NOT make me shop for clothing, shoes or purses, nor things for the house. But give me an opportunity for some retail therapy with fabric, and I'm right there! But then it can get overwhelming.

If you don't like the colors and haven't worked on it for a few years, is it worth investing more time/money/space (literal or in your head!) in?

I have had a couple of instances where I had projects I really didn't like. One was for our older daughter and fabrics were specifically requested. The other was a mystery quilt with colors I should have changed out, but went with suggested fabrics. I find it nearly impossible to work on. It is a UFO. Blocks done, pieced sashings made - will it ever come together?

I'm at the point where I can let things go. Usually, I can find someone in my guild who would like it, or swap to someone at a retreat, or offer to online groups for cost of postage. I have enough things I WANT to do without worrying about forcing myself to finish something that I really do not like.

Hopefully, if you've decided to continue on with the project, you can find a way to work in some colors that you DO like from your stash. Or maybe make it a smaller piece, call it done and move on.

Robin
Old 11-11-2021, 03:54 PM

SusieQOh, if you saw my cutting table right now you'd see a hot mess too. Trying to finish up a major project for my new kitchen using the fabrics leftover from making a fitted tablecloth. I'm now working on mats to go under the mixer and the food process so it's easier to pull them out away from the wall. Also making covers for the 2 small appliances along with one for the 3qt instant pot. With what's left of the scraps I managed to make up 3 hot pads in sizes of 10" and 12". Lots of quilting to be done using decorative stitches on my machine. Used an old bath towel for the batting on the hot pads as that gave them more strength when pulling out the appliances. Plus I ran out of scrap batting.

My scraps bins are also spilling out under the cutting table so another hot mess.
I have stainless steel appliances and if I open doors with wet hands, I get streaks running down the front. It’s maddening. I had left over prequilted fabric so I cut pieces 7” x length of handles. I turned under short ends & one long edge & sewed by machine to make handle covers. I lapped the stitched long edge over the raw edge & hand stitched them around the handles. They help so much. I take them off about every 6 months to wash. I tried Velcro but it gapped so I just pin & stitch by hand. The guy who installed new countertops was impressed & said I needed to get a patent. Oh, right. He asked if he could take a picture to show his wife.