Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
shopping spree >

shopping spree

shopping spree

Old 12-09-2010, 11:12 AM

Meds and shopping always work for me.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 AM

1Blondie, look through the quilt patterns you have and select one that would be fairly simple to make. Then go to the fabric store and buy what you need to make that project. Of course, if extra things fall in your cart, you should buy them too. Once you get a small project completed, perhaps that will be all the inspiration you need. Or make some quilts for Project Linus or another charity. You could consider that a "job" to donate quilts to charity. Hope this is the push that helps you! :)
Old 12-09-2010, 11:49 AM

I am happy for you! I am glad your hubby understand you. So hang in there and remember there is nothing too hard for God!
Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 1Blondie
Maybe that is what I need, I am recently retired and the walls are closing in on me. Not used to being home and can't seem to get used to it. I want to start projects but just don't have the get up and go. Or some one has to kick me in the butt to get me moving. I have some great ideas floating in my head but now to go to the sewing room and do it and go the to store and pick up the rest of the material to go along with it. Some one tell me to do it. So far retirement stinks. Only 59 years old and not used to being home. Was not a stay at home mom when the kids grew up and not used to this always worked 2 jobs and this is a little frustrating. Used to the hussle and bussle of working and now a studden stop. Some one give me that push.
Understand what you are feeling, but if this is a very recent retirement give it some time to sink in. I was a work-aholic and when I retired I felt totally lost. Then I started thinking about all the things that I had wanted to do when I was working and there wasn't time for it; or I was too tired when I got home to do anything other than necessities. Give yourself a break; you're too young to vegetate. If your health is still good you can now do all the things that you wanted when you were working. Try something new that sounds interesting. I learned how to bead weave when I was 65 and love it. Tried quilting when I was in my 20s and working got in the way; now I'm raring to go and retirement lets me do what I want to do. Hang in there it will get better.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:33 PM

Hi Donna, I know how lonely it can get and this web site is great. I am glad you went shopping. I did the same thing last Friday. I have to drive 60 miles to shop now (one way) I am gone from 8 to 8. They took all the fabric away in Walmart and that is the only place there is. It does good for you to look at ideas in the stores. I also have alot of quilt magazines I look at and use a little post note and let it stick out of the top with what I wrote. I do have a Quilt shop here but it is too expensive. Keep in touch! Merry Christmas. Suzanne
Old 12-09-2010, 02:43 PM

pm me anytime also. Suzanne
Old 12-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Where did you get those deals??
Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM

It sounds like it ended up being a nice day. Good for you. Enjoy it. Vent anytime.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:58 PM

Sounds like you have some projects already lined up and that should make you feel better. Enjoy your goodies and happy sewing.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:00 PM

i could write forever on this subject... but as of recent...i had a little surgery... it was hard to get back into wanting to craft.. i jut posted my "messy room".. hehehe so that will give you all some understanding....
i found that i'd shop all day for the things i want to make or companion to go with what i already have... then, get home and can't get into the room to get going..
my advice... just shove yourself in there (or to it) and start... it all comes together... do you knit or crochet?.. i do all of it and sometimes i just need to "change up a bit" stick with needles and hooks for a bit...
anywhooooo.. take the meds... and it's ok to take a break.. my feeling is... however you feel now... it's a lot better than "going back out there"... i've done that about 4 times and within a year i'm ready to get back home.. the world is not full of the "good people" we used to work with or for... it's time for us to enjoy the down time.. and lucky us, if we can afford to... breath deep.. make for charity and yes, take your meds... i'm here as well, if you ever want to pm me... Barbara / bj