Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I actually use my quilts? >

Should I actually use my quilts?

Should I actually use my quilts?

Old 05-21-2013, 09:50 PM

So many have expressed my views...use them! Use all the things that are tucked away because they are "too good to use". My MIL never seemed to "have much"...knew her for over 40 years...sadly when she passed, and we had the task of going through everything...she had so many beautiful things tucked away...china, crystal, embroidered pillowcases, crocheted tablecloths, silverware, vases, pottery, silk scarves, and so much more. My DH had never seen most of it. We all shared her beautiful things, and now use them regularly!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by nanac View Post
What!?! Not lay on the quilts, because the seams could split? Some of my happiest memories was when I would go to visit my Grandma, we would pull out all the quilts, and make a "pallet" on the floor to sleep on. My kids used to use my quilts to sleep on out in the yard every summer, or make play "forts" or tents. IMHO, if you take the tie to make them, you should take the time to use them.
Definately! i grew up sleeping under quilts my Grandma had pieced and quilted by hand. We used them (for warmth, tents, whatever) and while in time some of the fabric wore thru in places, the stitches always held. After Grandma died and we moved to a house with heat, the quilts were retired to a trunk. Now each of us kids has one to remember her by.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 PM

I finally made myself a quilt with all of the yellow and blue fabrics I've collected the past couple of years. and it is on my bed. every time I walk into my bedroom and see my quilt, I smile. Best feeling in the world! so yeah!! enjoy your quilts!
Old 05-22-2013, 02:41 AM

I. Guess my question to you is " Why, originally, did you quilt/make them? With that answer, you can decide. Your own answer. This one is your choice only.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 AM

The only quilt in my house that doesn't get used on a daily basis is the one my Mom pieced and my Aunt quilted (and won a ribbon for at the county fair). It's on the quilt rack in our bedroom. All the other quilts, throw, etc that I've made are used and in some cases abused by the cats. As someone else posted, long as the washer and dryer work, it's all good
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 AM

Why should something that I make last longer than me? Cause who is going to remember 50 years from now? I usually make something because I am attracted to it - so why don't I allow myself to enjoy it? Those are my thoughts. When I came to that conclusion that's when I opened the china cabinet and used my crystal for "jello on a cloud" for the grandkids to enjoy
Old 05-22-2013, 03:21 AM

Everything I have made has been given to my family, I have kept the quilts made by my mother and grandmother and they are on the beds in my home. Just being able to see them and use them brings back some very happy memories and I feel closer to them just having something they made where I can see them..You can't take it with you, and I have taught my daughter to enjoy these things as well as how to care for them..What good are they if they are put away for no one to see and enjoy. Life is too short, live each day as if it is your last. No one knows what tomorrow brings. It is the simple things that brings happiness into your life.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by laurlync View Post
When I was younger and received something "special" such as expensive perfume, etc., I would put it away and not use it because if I used it up, it would be gone and I wouldn't have it any longer. One day as I was dusting all these "special, unused items," I had an epiphany. By saving them and not using them, it was like I didn't have them at all. I decided that very day that when I received something special, I would use it and enjoy it.

Quilts are special items to be used and enjoyed. If you have them tucked away in your linen closet, do you only enjoy them when you clean that closet? Wouldn't it be more rewarding to have them out where you and your loved ones could enjoy them everyday of your lives? The only quilt in my house that doesn't get used (yet) is the show quilt I made earlier this year because I intend to enter it into a few other shows. After that, you better believe it will be put on a bed to be seen and enjoyed.
I was exactly the same way!! Just recently it hit me, what a waste!!! Why keep it if I am not going to use and enjoy it?? A new day has dawned, use it, share it or throw it out, so liberating!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:56 AM

Yes, yes, yes, use them! Enjoy them, feel good under them, lie on them, let the kitty cats snooze on them, wash them when they need it, dry them in the positive energies of the sun, be proud that you made them and that good things are happening thanks to them...

I used to be afraid to use the nice things people gave me as presents, or that I bought, until I discovered that nice perfume goes off if you don't use it, the elastic on pretty underthings dies and so the pretty, silky things are unusable... Such a waste of lovely things.

Use them, enjoy them, appreciate them!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:07 AM

I have worn several of my quilts to tatters. I love it when I see family members wrapped up in quilts I made for them-I will make them more as they grow up or they get worn out. I just don't want them to be used to wrap furniture in on moving day! I also use my china every day and I use sterling silverware every day because it is more special to me than it will ever be to anyone else. I already know that things that are special to me aren't so special to others. I hope they will treasure some things like quilts but I know the rest will not be 'saved'. So, use them, enjoy them every day and when they are taters make some new ones.