Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a binding ruler? >

Should I buy a binding ruler?

Should I buy a binding ruler?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 PM

I am a visual learner and think you so much I certainly did not want to waste my money on something that I may or may not need. I just want my quilts to look good if I'm going to sell them I don't want them to see my ugly binding.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:06 AM

I don't use a ruler... just cut 2 1/2 inch strips but I like and use the Binding Angel method that has been posted here on the board many times by Sharon Schamber. You can find it on youtube. I tried to copy and paste but it didn't copy to my reply.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I use the folded method, stitch and then ladder stitch the back, but I did get those bias tape holder thingies to make the ironing easier for when I'm doing other sewing projects that need a single layer bias binding. The ruler wouldn't be on my list of things to buy.

I love binding....so meditative....one of my favourite things to do.

Last edited by earthwalker; 02-15-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by grma33 View Post
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...ining_the_Ends no don`t buy a ruler I use this link everytime works great but I don`t do bias
Gale
This is how I do it too. Learned this method during a "quilt show prep" workshop at my old guild. It works great. I bought a "binding" ruler and have used it a few times, but prefer my regular 6x24 ruler, and just cut my bias strips to 2 1/4 inches.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 AM

I'm a novice quilter but have been at it for quite awhile. I keep it simple though. I saw a NZ video on binding and I was sold on her method. The challenge for me is connecting the ends-I do ok until then cutting strips. She makes a little pocket at one end and shoves the other end in. Cutting on an angle reduces bulk. No muss no fuss no crazy estimating fabric intersections.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:47 AM

I have a binding ruler my mom bought and gave me cause she thought it would be a nice addition to my collection. I use it often but haven't used it for binding...yet. :-)
Old 02-15-2015, 05:51 AM

I have and use the Fons and Porter binding tool from JoAnn's. I love it! Simple to use and perfect fit every time. Comes with clear instructions.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by mengler View Post
I'm a novice quilter but have been at it for quite awhile. I keep it simple though. I saw a NZ video on binding and I was sold on her method. The challenge for me is connecting the ends-I do ok until then cutting strips. She makes a little pocket at one end and shoves the other end in. Cutting on an angle reduces bulk. No muss no fuss no crazy estimating fabric intersections.
I found the NZ video. It's only a few minutes long on her website. http://www.nancysnotions.com/categor...g+technique.do
She's my hero .
Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I cut bias binding the easy way.
Bias binding is easier to sew, it wears better and print fabric looks great on bias: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO7iTP1MSsY

I join the ends this way. I trim the tucked in end to be narrow, to make it a perfect fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh9...=TLQWyAp5EWwcU

I have the Simplicity Bias tape machine it works great to fold and press the binding in one step.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:10 AM

I have the long binding ruler with the 45 mitered end. I use the 2 1/2" wide binding ruler to accurately cut bias binding. After you have done the joins a few times, they become much easier. I don't know if I would have used that cute little square looking one more than two or three times. It probably would save me 5 minutes, but I'm okay with that extra 5 minutes of time matching the ends up. I am going to try the method of measuring based on the binding width. I think that will save me the 5 minutes.