Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a binding ruler? >

Should I buy a binding ruler?

Should I buy a binding ruler?

Old 02-15-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post

Yes, that's the video which clearly demonstrates how to use 'The Binding Tool' but like others on multiple threads here on this board and different threads via Google say, that the online demonstration just doesn't translate to actually being successful in using it for me. I just cannot get the ends to meet. In fact there are multiple threads or once was on the MSQ forum with quilters having difficulties with the tool.

I fortunately had enough fabric when I got to the point of joining the ends, and wasn't too short at the end that I was able to 'wing' it into place but nothing like Jenny demonstrates. It's not an expensive tool so if it doesn't work for you then you can always make the friendship braid and isn't that great when you can use a tool for multiple quilts?

Again, my favorite and only way I apply binding is via the Heirloom Creations demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh90tXr7g4which no special tool is needed.
I love the binding tool. It took me a while to learn to use it, but I finally took notes and drew little pictures and keep with the ruler. It really works perfectly if you use it properly.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Someone might have already mentioned this, but I would not do a binding without "Binding Gizmo" Here is a web page of what it looks like. Good luck.
http://willowcreekwhispers.blogspot....ing-gizmo.html
Old 02-15-2015, 06:45 PM

Have to laugh at this thread! I did buy a binding tool but never could figure out how to use it despite written directions and youtube tutorials! I did read the Fons & Porter method and have gotten so I can do that without all the markings and don't end up with that "bump" you get when it's too loose.
First, unless I'm dealing with curves I don't use bias binding, but do double it--usually 2.5" wide unfinished, folded over as I like to leave a little bat so the binding doesn't feel thin.
When I've got about a 12-15" gap between the ends of binding (I plan for a 8-12" tail on both ends), I lay the unsewn tails on the quilt leaving a 1/4" space between the two tails, folding back the extra tail and fingerpressing it.
I then open the two tails and with RIGHT sides together I sew the 2 tails together at a diagonal just as you would putting to strips together with a bias seam. I don't cut the extra tails off until I check that it will lay flat. Once I know it will work, I trim off the tails and then sew the remaining binding down. The key is the 1/4" space.
(oh--I have found my binding tool makes a dandy French braid template!)
Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 PM

I bought two different brands of binding tools and now they're gathering dust.

I use Jenny Doan's method shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCWpxBRs20
Old 02-15-2015, 09:00 PM

I like to do binding. Maybe I should start a binding business. LOL