Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a new machine?? >

Should I buy a new machine??

Should I buy a new machine??

Old 05-22-2014, 06:16 PM

Default Should I buy a new machine??

I took my bernina to a shop for a "tune-up" today and got hooked on a Bernina 580e. Does anyone have any experience with this model? What is a good price for a 580e? They have new ones and a few demo models that are $400 cheaper.
I am so tempted, I now have a 1530 and would love to have a machine with embroidery capabilities.
Thanks.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:24 PM

I would think about how much you will actually do with the embroidery....I thought it was what I wanted until I bought one...now I am selling it and getting a regular machine again. It is very expensive if you do much...thread...stabilizers...classes etc. Maybe look into the price of those....and remember you will want a lot of various colors of thread to make pretty things. What will you embroider? will you do enough to make it worth while.

Personally I lost interest in about 6 months.

Just my thought....hope other who enjoy it will comment.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 PM

The 1530 is a great machine, but out dated. Yes, you should upgrade. You could keep the 1530 for a back-up, or use it as a trade-in. The newer Bernina machines have some very nice features. And the 580e isn't just an embroidery machine, it can do all the other "regular" machine things, too. And the bigger throat space is helpful for quilting. And you can add the BSR if you want. So, it's not just an embroidery machine. I've been given the responsibility of training new owners on their Bernina 780's, and am realizing how much I could do if I owned one of those machines! If it was in my budget, I would own a Bernina embroidery machine.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:26 PM

I don't know those machines, although I adore my Bernina. I just wanted to say that when I read the title of your post, I immediately thought, YES! Ha ha of course you should buy a new machine ;-)
Old 05-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mommysewist View Post
I don't know those machines, although I adore my Bernina. I just wanted to say that when I read the title of your post, I immediately thought, YES! Ha ha of course you should buy a new machine ;-)

What an ENABLER!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 01:52 AM

Yes, this is like going to a potato chip board and asking if it is a good idea to eat the last few chips from a bag: OF COURSE!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I would also suggest keeping your current machine rather than trading it in. You will always have a machine to use when one is in the shop, and you can also set up an embroidery to stitch on the 580 while piecing something on the other. It's amazing that you can sew on 2 machines at a time!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I would have that much use for an embroidery machine so I am happy to stay with my so called "outdated" Bernina 1530. I don't need a stitch regulator or any of the new gismo on the new DSM. My machine was made when quality was king. Don't trade it in.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 AM

I've kept every machine I ever bought because I wanted it to be a backup to the new one. I now own 4! I would get whatever I could afford and if it also does embroidery that is a bonus. I have one but don't use the embroidery part.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:51 AM

My 1530 has been a workhorse until my last project. You probably don't remember, but I posted a cross wallhanging with rays coming out in different colors. Well, I spent months and months working out the pattern and cutting and then cutting again (the 1st one I cut didn't fit together - I cut them from a pattern I enlarged on a copier at Staples, and obviously it became distorted! Anyway, I tried using a satin stitch between the "rays" to look like stained glass. To make a VERY looong story short, I broke both of my machines (my Bernina and my Janome). That is why I took both of them to be serviced.
So, what do you think, if I get the 580, should I sell the Janome or trade in the 1530 Bernina. They will give me $500 for the 1530. Is that good?
Boy, I'm full of questions this morning!
Thanks for "listening".