Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I buy a new machine?? >

Should I buy a new machine??

Should I buy a new machine??

Old 05-23-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I don't think I would have that much use for an embroidery machine so I am happy to stay with my so called "outdated" Bernina 1530. I don't need a stitch regulator or any of the new gismo on the new DSM. My machine was made when quality was king. Don't trade it in.
I'm sorry, I should have said that the 580 is an embroidery AND a sewing machine. I also would not buy just an embroidery machine, I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:28 AM

Never, Never, get rid of your 1530. I have a 1230 I would fight you over. Personally, I bought a brother embroidery/sewing machine top of the line at the time. It was really used for embroidery for several years (well used) and I grew tired of embroidering. I have never fully used the sewing part...shame on me. I don't think I would ever spend the money for a combo machine of any brand. If I wanted to an embroidery machine I would shop for an embroidery only machine that would use at least a 5 x 7 hoop...unless you really get good at embroidering and want to do very large patterns, you probably won't use anything bigger. Embroidering is fun and I'm glad I did it but now my machine is outdated because it uses floppy disks and computers are not even providing that anymore. Technology has moved on and my machine isn't and I'm not going to spend the money on another. Don't get rid of your 1530? You will be sorry. Also a word of caution....if you are a power sewer (peddle to the meddle type) don't treat your new machine as toughly as you do your 1530. The new machines can't take that....you will require regular service on them. Don't expect the same long years of maintenance free service from your new machine as your 1530.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:36 AM

I think you will love the embroidery option. Grammy of 6, just think of all the cute little gifts for the grands regardless of age. I also use my embroidery to customize a label for each quilt acne each person who receives a quilt from me is in awe of that also. Do buy a new machine and keep your 1530 for backup and when you don't want to have to think about how to do something. You already own it, so might as well keep it. As for the Janome, I would probably keep it too as I currently have 6 sewing machines, two serger sand a longarm; a bit of a collector.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:20 AM

Keep your 1530! Buy a Brother! The new Bernina machines have problems with certain patterns. I have watched grown women cry in classes they paid for when the pattern did not sew like ours! The New Berninas also spend time in repair!
Old 05-24-2014, 05:23 AM

OBW, I own two Bernina 1230's, a Brother Innovis 4000D and a Babylock Ellisimo Gold2. Love my 1230's, one stays in the tote to go to classes, quilt guild meetings or anywhere I won't be using embroidery.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:08 AM

I wanted an embroidery machine - got a diamond. I was so intimidated I didn't do any embroidery for about 3 years LOL. Once I had the time to sit down and learn it I love it. Yes the supplies add up, but there is ebay, and different online sales. It is not inexpensive depending on how much you do but it is fun fun fun. I don't have any other hobbies and I drive an old car, so I figure whatever it costs - it's far cheaper than psychotherapy. (Max in VA)
Old 05-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Banned

[h=2]"Should I buy a new machine??"[/h]OMG... That's like going to a bar with your best alcoholic friends and asking if you should have a drink!

(c'mon... you *knew* what most of us were going to say!") lol

Ditto the comments about being cheaper than psychotherapy, etc.

And yes... keep the machine you already have!

I have an Ellisimo Gold... and I'm still enjoying spending time with my 1975 ElnaGirl lately.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 AM

This is a little off-topic and I apologize but I am very interested in Bernina sewing machines, primarily because of the BSR. Can anyone tell me if this helps while FMQ? My biggest problem is getting my stitches a uniform size and if this helps, the cost could well be worth it to me.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

You should start a new topic about the BSR... you'll get more members to come out of the woodwork to talk about it...

Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
I took my bernina to a shop for a "tune-up" today and got hooked on a Bernina 580e. Does anyone have any experience with this model? What is a good price for a 580e? They have new ones and a few demo models that are $400 cheaper.
I am so tempted, I now have a 1530 and would love to have a machine with embroidery capabilities.
Thanks.
I have a 1530 and last year it just stopped working so I bought a Janome 8900 and am thrilled to death with it. Iam glad I did not get my Bernina fixed.