Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM

I hope she doesn't mind, but here is a direct quote from someone who thought her quilt 'was not good enough', too. (Thank you LynneJean.)

Well, does anyone remember my sister's quilt that was the UFO that I had SOOOO much trouble with? It was the purple and green floral one.
Here is the link

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-90204-1.htm

Anyway I sent it to her even though I could still see all the mistakes and hoped she would like it. I even wrote her a note saying if you don't think you will use it just sent it back. I was worried.......but here is the email I got this morning from her.

OMG!!!!! I opened the door this morning and a huge box was on the door step. what a surprise!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. The quilt is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I LOVE the colors and your workmenship is outstanding!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I will treasure it always because you made it just for me with time, love, money and prayer just from you. I envy your time to make quilts. That is what I want to do when I retire. I think you will have to teach me though. I want to make something special for each of the kids. As far as using it, ARE YOU KIDDING??? It will be on my bed tonight!!!!! Dillards makes beautiful quilts but they are stiff and cold. Your quilt is soft and warm and full of love!!!! HOw can you beat that??? Got to go, Im still at home and pressed for time. Much love Janet

It just goes to show you that other people don't usually see the mistakes. BTW Janet is a very good seamstress of many years. My sister and I had a falling out a few years back and we have been working to getting a better relationship in the past few months. I had hoped that this quilt would help our situation to heal. I prayed and cried over that quilt and made a label that said

" To Janet my constant embrace of love stitched into the fabric of a quilt. Love Jeanne."

I wanted her to think of that quilt as my arms always around her even when I was not there. We live several hours away from each other. Never under estimate the power of a quilt! Even one with lots of mistakes!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 PM

wow - you have had some amazing encouraging words here. I agree with them but I also think that if you lose too much confidence then do some other craft (assuming you are like most quilters and have crafted other items in your time) and remind yourself that once upon a time you had to learn that from scratch also and look at what you can now do. I too suffer the dreaded perfectionist bug but have learnt that there are many times it ruins me and there are also times to use it. This time you need to set it aside and listen to the advice of others who have been there. Good luck
Old 02-09-2011, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
Difficult decision. You have already invested the money and two years in the project; you could give up ...or you could "keep on keepin' on" two steps forward, one step back all while learning, and growing and gaining confidence among the sisterhood of those who have at one time or another, been where you are now. In other words; relax, take pleasure in the process. Someday, it wil be you who will be helping other young quilters. :thumbup:
Old 02-10-2011, 02:02 AM

Through a bad experience I drifted away from quilting for over 10 yrs. I decided I needed to get back to relearning the basics and am now taking a beginers quilting class. The class plus the information from this site has generated a new excitement about quilting again. Don't get discourage those ladies have many years of experience and it sounds like you are a newbie like me.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:30 AM

Don't give up. I was in a sort of similar situation as you. I was trying to do sampler blocks and oh the mess I made of one of them. When I took it to class the teacher simply walked me back through the block and all the ladies told me to keep it and look back on it. Oh how right they were, everyone has their own abilities ,stop beating yourself up you know you enjoy doing what you do, and everyone is here to help you along
Old 02-10-2011, 05:40 AM

Don't quit!I have been quilting for a few years now, and I still have some wonky! Quilts don't have to be perfect all the time,so I'm sure if you stick with it, your quilt will be great! If you need any type of help, everyone here will be more than happy to help in any way they can! Please, Please stay with it!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-163382.png  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:27 AM

I have been trying to learn to quilt and I am terrible at it I see all the things on here and just want to throw in the towel but then I figure if I keep at it long enough I just might get it and the things I do make I give them with love and a note saying no one is perfect so the mistakes you find are to remind you of of this. So PLEASE hang in there Don't give up
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 AM

Keep going. It is so rewarding to see your growth. I have my very first quilt, from a quilt class and it stays tucked away and every now and then I dig it out and marvel at how far I have come. Step out. It is all about learning and exploring. And I just learned more with my current quilt!
Diane/Wyoming
Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 AM

Don't give up so fast you are still learning. We all have gone thru the learning thing and the more you quilt the better you get...keep on quilting!
Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Don't give up. You will get better. For some it may take a little longer but what you learn will stick with you.