Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Should I just give up? >
  • Should I just give up?

• Should I just give up?

Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by MissBarkey
    I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
    The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
    My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Miss Barkey, I think you should take the advice from here and just complete one block at a time. Take a deep breath and say to yourself "I can do this!" I have mentioned this before but I have a saying on my sewing room wall "Remember Only God Is Perfect, Our Quilts Don't Need To Be". Finish the quilt and put it on your bed and bask in its warmness. You will be glad you did.
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by KSue
    Originally Posted by MissBarkey
    I am part of a Block of the Month group at my local quilt shop. I've been quilting for about 2 years and haven't really accomplished much, but I wanted to join this BOM to learn more about quilting and to end up with a beautiful quilt for my bed. Bad move.
    The owner of the shop is a wonderful lady who is patient and helpful and the other ladies in the group are equally helpful. No -problem there. The problem is me and my lack of self-confidence and skill. These ladies are good....really good. They are doing this quilt as either an investment (it was costly) or as an entry in shows. I am totally intimidated by their abilities and have ripped out all my blocks I've done so far.
    My question is this, should I just give up and chalk it up to an expensive lesson in "look before you quilt"? I really don't know what to do. Thanks for letting me vent.
    Miss Barkey, I think you should take the advice from here and just complete one block at a time. Take a deep breath and say to yourself "I can do this!" I have mentioned this before but I have a saying on my sewing room wall "Remember Only God Is Perfect, Our Quilts Don't Need To Be". Finish the quilt and put it on your bed and bask in its warmness. You will be glad you did.
    Ditto, couldn't of said it better. By the way, quilters are usually friendly,giving people, ready to help a newcomer. Try finding that one lady in the group that will take you under her wing.
    There is someone there who remembers when she started and will be happy to help you.

:lol:
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 PM

Enjoy the journey, and learn to roll with the bumps in the road. We have all started with one block. then another. Its the only way to learn. Don't be judgmental of your work, just enjoy it and learn as you go. You will find it lots of fun. You don't have to be as proficient as those other ladies, there was a day when they were where you are now
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
    kbs

BOM is how I learned to quilt different patterns and how to use the colors and patterns. There were a lot of quilts better than mine, but it is on my bed right now and still keeping me warm. Don't give up.
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Hang in there sweetheart! Even experienced quilters still have to rip out and re-do. Keep on...keepin' on. You can do it!
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    dont be hard on your self it does not have to be perfect we all started some where. it will be fun to look back at your first quilt and you will marvel at how far you have come.
    I totally agree, you have invested in this the money, perfection is in the eye of the beholder much like beauty. Perhaps you are being too difficult on yourself, if you are striving for perfection, then practice will improve your skills until you can meet your own expectations.

The only other option is to switch (temporarily) to another project when you become frustrated. I have done that on one of my projects (actually I have done three other projects and am finishing up one now) before I get back to my "frustration".
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM

remember that not getting it all perfect is normal. If you get one new skill, trick, idea, bit of confidence each time you try........... you are a success. And sometimes,.... not always,......... it can be about the equipment you have. A $3,000.00 machine can do things my $97.00 Simplicity can't..... Gosh, this sounds so condescending. I have never taken a class or worked beside "show talent" quilters before. I think i would feel ill at ease in that company too.
    Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    One block at a time is the way that I have taught. Don't look at all of the blocks and get overwhelmed. Can you show us one block at a time? I am sure that people can give you a lot of help in order to be able to make the quilt. I would be glad to have you pm me and if I can help, I would love to.
    This is such good advice. Times like this can be intimidating but if you can turn yourself around and think about what you can learn from this experience and do what Sadiemae says and take it one block (one step) at a time you will begin to enjoy the experience and have a lovely quilt to show for it. As I try to tell my children and GC, everyone starts without knowing anything; everyone has been where you are. Good luck.
    Old 02-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Keep trying. Do you think I told the patient when I was a student nurse many years ago that the enema I was going to give him was my first one. Everything came out ok. No pun intended.
    Ask yourself if this is something you really want to do. I'd learn all I could from these ladies and someday you will be the teacher to a new quilter. Good luck.
    Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM

I say don't give up. I made my first quilt 17 years ago. I've quilted off and on over the years - NOTHING show quality that's for sure. I'm still learning - I have tons to learn! I still can't always get my points and corners to match up "perfectly" but I get them close enough and call it a day. It's suppose to be FUN not stressful!!!! Don't let them intimidate you - I know that's easier said than done.