Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I just give up? >

Should I just give up?

Should I just give up?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 PM

Hang in there. Enjoy the experience and don't expect perfection. You are with a nice, fun, helpful group, enjoy it. In things always turn out better than you think they will be when they are done.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM

I was just cleaning out my fabric closets and found 9 blocks that I made at a BOM at my local quilt store. I did what you are thinking of doing. Quit because everyone else made fancier or prettier blocks than I did. I started the BOM just to learn techniques. Well I am going to finish this quilt now. The blocks are a lot better than I remembered. At the time I didn't spend much, a lot of vintage looking fabric. These blocks look like something my grandmother would have made. I got them out and they are really pretty. My husband wants me to finish the quilt for our bed.
I guess what I am trying to say is don't quit. Even if your blocks are not perfect you are learning. I bet when you put them together they will be beautiful.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I bet that their first quilts didn't make it to s show....don't be so hard on yourself!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM

I think you have a great chance here to learn so much- you are lucky to have found such a nice group, unfortunately it isn't always that way!Don't worry about perfection, just enjoy the experience and lessons you are getting!
Old 02-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Thank you all for your very kind and encouraging words. I shall give you a description of what I am up against. First of all, we are using different templates than I am used to, they are the Perfect Patchwork Templates from Marti Michell. Has anyone had experience with these? They are supposed to be very accurate and I guess, if I were more experienced, they would be fine. No one knew we would be using these templates when we started. They are plastic see through and unless you have some of those wee round sticky things to keep them in place, they slide everywhere. Each block is different and there are some very unusual cuts to be made for each block. You know, sort of like a very challenging zigzaw puzzle.
I really appreciate the encouragement and I will be back again to ask questions and possibly, if I can, post some pictures, if that's OK.
take care
MissBarkey
Old 02-08-2011, 01:51 PM

Thank you and I just may take you up on that offer.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Sadiemae, I meant to reply to your offer but just kept posting useless replies haha. Really... I'm not crazy, just terribly confused.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:56 PM

This QB has two BOMs going right now. I have jumped in on the Star BOM which is posted on the 15th of each month. I know my skill level is waaaaaay below that of most of the other participants, but I am using it as a learning experience and am making two of each block for the practice and so I will have two quilts at the end of the year.

The second BOM which is posted on the 1st of each month is Houses and the blocks so far are a little intimidating to me. They are paper pieced, which I have never done, and just look really difficult. However, looking at everyone's beautiful blocks, I am now tempted to jump in. I will probably wait until several have posted pictures and/or comments each month and hopefully I can learn from what they have done.

Basically, just think of this as a learning experience and try to learn from the others in the group. One day, you may be doing a BOM and be the one a new quilter asks for advice. In the meantime, stop being so hard on yourself...just enjoy the process and learn all you can.

Good luck! And post pictures of your blocks here. This group is sure to give you all the encouragement you need!
Old 02-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Another thought just occurred to me. When I was in the 9th grade (just a few years ago...yeah right!), I took a typing class. I HATED it because some of the other people in the class really didn't need to be there. They could type!!! I cried to my mother every night, "I can't do this!! It's just too hard." She patiently told me night after night, "Now, Laurlyn, you know you need stay in the class and learn how to type. Don't worry about everyone else, just do your best."

Well, guess what!?!? I am now an Administrative Assistant and make my living at a keyboard! Where would I be now, if I had just given up because I was intimidated by what others could do in comparison?

Don't give up. Later you will look back at the experience and laugh at yourself for wanting to quit. And you will be glad you didn't.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
cjr

Absolutely do NOT (repeat) NOT give up. Do this for you and enjoy the process. If you quit tou will not learn anything. This may end up being your favorite quilt